Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Leg of Lamb Today, Ideas?

Options
JRWhitee
JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
My neighbor bought a 5lb leg of Lamb at Costco and asked me to cook it for him. I rubbed it up with Rosemary and other spices, not sure what. I thought I would smoke it at 250 indirect, any thoughts? I have pecan, cherry, oak, alder and apple thoughts on what wood I should use? He wants it cooked medium I thought I would pull it at 130 and sear it. Any help/thoughts appreciated. Thank you.

Jim

Johns Creek, Georgia

Comments

• JRWhitee
    Options
    No One?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    No need to low and slow. Just roast indirect at 350-400 until 130-140, then rest. Salt pepper rosemary and garlic. Easy and delicious
    Mamaroneck
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    I do mine raised direct at 350 or so.  I like to marinate for at least 4 hours in olive oil and Italian herbs and stud it with slivers of garlic.  I don't bother searing afterwards.  No need.  I pull at 130.  I like it medium rare.  Good stuff.

Living Large and XL

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited June 2014
    Options
    If it is a boneless leg, I like to stuff it with sauteed spinach, toasted pine nuts and dried tomato feta cheese.  Tie it up, coat with Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin and then roast at 350 with apple wood until 140 internal.
    The Naked Whiz
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yeah, no need for low and slow. I've never had a leg of lamb that was tough, and needed the tenderizing effects of low and slow. Just cook it to a low temp, if your eaters don't mind pink.

I and my wife like lamb because it is not only tender, but its own flavor will hold up paired with lots of garlic, lemon, rosemary, black pepper, olive oil, etc.

If you think less lamb flavor is desirable, cut off fat, and brine and rinse a few times. Likewise, don't add smoking wood. There will still be lots of flavor without.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Raised direct at 350F, turning frequently until 135F.  Let it rest and it should come up to medium.  The crispy outer crust from direct is delicious on lamb.   You can also do a reverse sear. 
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Mix up a sauce with yogurt, sour cream or mayo, horseradish, salt, pepper and mint.  Adjust the ratios so it tastes good.   Goes great with lamb.  You can also do a board sauce with olive oil, rosemary, garlic, etc. when you cut.   Meow.

I've cooked more lamb legs than any other roast.
    Options
    i like to start hotter 450 and drop the cook temp down when i start seeing some charring, lamb begs for some charring. i would shoot for med/rare instead of medium like he wants
    :D  as for wood, rosemary branches or grape off the side of the road if its in your area
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Raised direct at 350F, turning frequently until 135F.  Let it rest and it should come up to medium.  The crispy outer crust from direct is delicious on lamb.   You can also do a reverse sear. 
    +1 - perfect every time.
    Brits like me often serve it with a white onion sauce:-
    Roughly chop 2 medium onions and cover with water - add salt and pepper (I use white for this) bring to a boil then simmer for half an hour.
    Separately, make a béchamel sauce and add the onion mix and bring back to a gentle boil to thicken. 
    Trust me, it's great with lamb and roast potatoes. Provide bread to sop up the plates or folks will be licking them!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• JRWhitee
    Options
    Thanks a ton guys, I will go 350F raised direct to 135F I like the idea of some crispy crust thanks @nolaegghead that sounds great. My neighbor is a Brit so I will go with my Rockwood and a small amount of Apple so not to over power with smoke. I will post pics. Thanks again.

Jim

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    Try it with some tzatziki.  Plain greek yogurt with finely diced cucumber, salt, pepper, lemon juice and some dill and cilantro and some crushed garlic.  Then take some of the lamb slices and put it in a warm pita and spoon the tzatziki over the top.  Awesome greek taco that is hard to beat.

Living Large and XL

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Jim - don't worry if it creeps up in the 400s.  Burned lamb flesh is tasty.  There's something about it.  I've been making kabobs with lamb leg meat and cooking them at 600+.  Heaven.
    Options
    Jim - don't worry if it creeps up in the 400s.  Burned lamb flesh is tasty.  There's something about it.  I've been making kabobs with lamb leg meat and cooking them at 600+.  Heaven.
    Thanks Buddy, I appreciate the insight. I will post the results, just started the Egg.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    Guys thanks for all the help, the Lamb turned out great. My neighbor who bought it is a Brit and didn't want it "bloody" so I pulled it at 145 I would have pulled it 10 degrees earlier but it was still good. I ended up cooking it indirect @ 350 grid and doing a reverse sear as they brought over some potatoes to cook under the lamb. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Looks delicious!  Nice smoke ring.  Made some sauce?
    Options
    Yeah he made a couple of sauces, the white one was an onion flour that was great, a gravy and he had a mint sauce.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Nice cook - looks great.  I love lamb, but unfortunately, the GFU doesn't.  I just wait until she leaves - then it's a lambfest here...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @JRWhitee‌
    Man that looks excellent! I like lamb pretty rare but short of that that's a outstanding job my friend!! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JRWhitee
    Options
    Thanks guys, @SGH I like it rare too. When I do my own it will be pink throughout.

Johns Creek, Georgia