Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick ash basket

Has anyone seen this? Pretty cool idea. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C49ljpyTIOI
Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Ugh!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• There is a gadget for everything, even things that don't really need gadgets. 
    A quick stir and the ash drops right thru the High-Q grate for me. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2014

There is a gadget for everything, even things that don't really need gadgets. 

A quick stir and the ash drops right thru the High-Q grate for me. 
    I'm still using factory grate. I like a good ole shop vac for clean up. K.I.S.S. theory at its best.
    :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Things to order for Egg when I win the Lottery:
    1. Mangrates
    2. Kick Ash Basket

No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Who new that for the last 30yrs I've been doing it wrong.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Looks like a good idea to me as long as it stands up to the heat.  According to the website it's not stainless though.....and the one on the YouTube video does not match the one pictured.

Either way, I wish it went the whole depth of the firebox.  I have a old thick wire chicken egg basket from my grandparents' farm that was going to be my prototype for the same type of apparatus. 

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited February 2014
    Stainless lump bucket was one of the first things I made. Rings are 3/16" and 1/4" round bar.   Made two and still have the second one.  Best to have the lump grate in the bucket for easy clean up.  Most folks who see it want one, so now that we have the capability to fabricate, we/re designing it. 

image   image
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I'm not gonna lie on this one, I really like the idea.
    Dunedin, FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @tjv if you put handles on it,  and make it for  the small and mini,  I think   tailgaters and campers would be interested.  It would let you remove the coals and dump them so the egg would cool down quicker. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    tjv said:
    Stainless lump bucket was one of the first things I made. Rings are 3/16" and 1/4" round bar.   Made two and still have the second one.  Best to have the lump grate in the bucket for easy clean up.  Most folks who see it want one, so now that we have the capability to fabricate, we/re designing it. 

Tom,

Here.....fixed it for you!  =))

CGS basket mated with a STLCC fire grate!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Omg. ..seriously. kiss my ash
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Irv
    Irv Posts: 8
    Hey guys......found this thread from back in Feb.  We are having some great success shipping the Kick Ash Basket all of the US and Canada.  Just ran out of our first batch of 100 and will have our next massive order from our Wisconsin manufacturer on Monday and ready to ship Tuesday June 10 just in time for Father's Day.  Consider it as we've had great feedback on The Big Green Egg BBQers Facebook Page.  Obviously we are small and just starting but we are extremely proud to offer our first model for the Large BGE made right here in the USA with Raw American Steel.
    www.kickashbasket.com
    Have a Kick Ash Weekend!
    Chad
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    The main reason I would want one is for tailgating - I would likely not use it at home. We usually cook before and after the game. When everyone is fed after the game we shut off the grill and pack up. We have never had a BGE at the tailgate but that's why I just bought my Small. I would love a basket to lift out the lump at the end of the day. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I would be interested in this for my mini for tailgating also. My stay at home large, probably not so much.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Mawger
    Mawger Posts: 40

I just bought one for hubs.  Makes ash dumping and clean up so much easier. Ordered it on Sunday and had it on Tuesday. 

Sandy

• mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    I ordered one yesterday, looks like it will make cleaning much easier.
    Danville, Il
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    I worry will it hold up to high temp cooks? The one in the YouTube video looks a little flimsy. I've never measured, but I could just imagine how hot it must be in the firebox when going nuclear.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    I worry will it hold up to high temp cooks? The one in the YouTube video looks a little flimsy. I've never measured, but I could just imagine how hot it must be in the firebox when going nuclear.
    I will post how it does after a few cooks.

Danville, Il
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    I'm sorry but this is completely **** unnecessary.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    I tend to agree with @JohnInCarolina‌. I got the hique grate and love it. Ash falls through easily. I see no use of this product to me.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Irv
    Irv Posts: 8
    Hey guys......here is the updated video with our commercial version of the Kick Ash Basket.  
    I need to get our web guy to update the link on our website.....sorry about that.  
    Yes the prototype was a little flimsy as I only used 16 gauge expanded but I used it for over 2 years grilling 2-3 times per week.  The new one is 8 gauge and 11 gauge wire. Very well made right here in Wisconsin.  With a melting temp of 2500 degrees F, we are confident that it will last a long long time.
    It may not be for everyone but we have had an amazing response.  If you like it.....great!  If you don't like it.....please be constructive and courteous.
    Have a Kick Ash Day!
    Chad 
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    I thought we had a no spam policy around here???

LBGE

BTFU!

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Hankyorke said:

Are you saying you want to kick his ash off the forum for being a spammer?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Looks great to me,I am going to order one. Can`t have enough accessories to make Egging easier!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    Hankyorke said:
    There is, but in practice most of us find that public shaming is equally effective.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    SPAM's one thing.  Letting the community know about a product that could be beneficial is something different entirely.  I guess which is which depends on the reader.
    Kemah, TX
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    I'm not going to say good or bad ad I also see no use for ME but if I'm out with the mini it's just as easy to just dump it out when done.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    edited June 2014
    The one thing I like about this is when I need to clean the ash pit out, I don't have to scoop out all my charcoal. 

And yes I know I can get to it from the vent, but I like to clean out the whole bottom so taking out the ring and box is the norm for me.

Just checked the site and all they make it for is the large? I got a M and an XL. Guess I'm SOL! 
    :D
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited June 2014
    That's AWESOME!  I take the lump from the last cook out before grilling every time so that I can vacuum the ash out of the firebox. Frankly, it's a PITA - I put on some vinyl gloves, "scoop" up the lump with my hands, put it on a plate on a side table - and get full of soot in the process.  THEN I vacuum the ash, and "scoop" the lump BACK into the firebox.  This entire process takes more time than I want to spend and is not fun.  (I realize it's also not absolutely necessary, but I want to get as good of airflow as possible so that I can get up to temp more quickly also).

This looks like it's going to save me a TON of time every time I cook.  Gonna order one today.

BTW, I also don't think letting the community know about a great product is "spamming"..how else are we gonna know what's out there to help us?
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Someone else posted the product, and the owner of the product just came here to comment on it.

No harm no foul. 

In the original vid it looks like you are still using the stock fire grate.  Couldn't you use it without the grate in place?  This would allow better airflow (similar to a high-q grate). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.