Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using Pyrex Glass Dish on EGG

Has anyone used a Pyrex glass casserole dish on the Egg?  I have a clay one and think it should handle heat up to 400 or 500, but was wondering about Pyrex.  Thinking of doing a casserole on the Egg sometime. 
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I do all the time. Only indirect up to 450ish.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    have one i use indirect but under 400 dome
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Indirect only and you should be ok.  Don't get it too hot like Egcelsior said, and don't change temps too fast.  If it has scratches or nicks it's more likely to break.  It's made for use in an oven, and indirect in an egg is an oven.
    I use to use them with no issues other than my wife getting irate about me smutting up her glass ware. Other than that they work great. You may want to consider that before hand my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2014
    I have used them on the egg a few times for cakes and brownies. It was fine at those indirect temps. I have read that the older versions were more heat resistant, but mine is not that old and still worked fine. I wouldn't set it on a stovetop burner though.

It also looked like new after I washed it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    I used one on my old gas grill and it shattered into a thousand pieces, they were like little diamonds, fortunately the lid was shut when it went, I think the temp reached approx 500, so be careful.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    It is OK, I suggest <400ºF dome. Indirect is the only way. Italian beef. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Thanks for the help. I also have one that is may of ceramic that may use since we don't use it in the oven much any more except for when the wife makes a casserole in the oven and that has been a while. i will get her blessing first.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Yes get her blessing. I smoked some Mac n cheese in our French white Corning wear and I still haven't heard the end of it. Took some scrubbing but I got it white again.
  • U_tarded said:
    Yes get her blessing. I smoked some Mac n cheese in our French white Corning wear and I still haven't heard the end of it. Took some scrubbing but I got it white again.
    Excellent advise! I've been there and hear about it all of the time. Now I just go buy it... 
    Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited May 2014
    This is right up my alley.

Pyrex is now nothing more than tempered glass. It use to be ceramic (clear ceramic), borosilicate.

European Pyrex is still made this way, and is highly resistant to thermal shock.  It's the same material as used in glass cook tops.  In the US though, Pyrex cookware is nothing more than soda-lime glass, although tempered.

So, use it like you would in an oven, and don't get it wet when hot (for example, do not try to deglaze it immediately after removing a roast).  If it is chipped in any way, it can explode during use if bumped.

Corning doesn't make Pyrex any longer, and instead the name is licensed to makers of cheaper soda lime glass under the Pyrex name.

New US-made Pyrex is useless, if you ask me.  And you didn't.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    I had a fine Magnalite pot. The Egg cooked it to smithereens. (Blame me.). Took ages to find a replacement on eBay.
    Kemah, TX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Pyrex is now nothing more than tempered glass. It use to be ceramic (clear ceramic), borosilicate.

European Pyrex is still made this way, and is highly resistant to thermal shock.  It's the same material as used in glass cook tops.  In the US though, Pyrex cookware is nothing more than soda-lime glass, although tempered.

So, use it like you would in an oven, and don't get it wet when hot (for example, do not try to deglaze it immediately after removing a roast).  If it is chipped in any way, it can explode during use if bumped.

Corning doesn't make Pyrex any longer, and instead the name is licensed to makers of cheaper soda lime glass under the Pyrex name.

This is interesting; I had no idea!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Most of the Pyrex dishes are mine before we were married and so is the Pampered Chef ceramic ones, but my just buy one so she doesn't complain. I've dropped a couple, they suck to clean up.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited May 2014
    Looks like I answered the one question I am uniquely qualified to answer.  My work here is Done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YaaZZN9VYs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Awwww, Seneca... Bring George back! That was great!