Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak cook Sous Vide style (many pics)

Cymbaline65
Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
edited May 2014 in Forum List

Gave the SV a spin last night. Tried the Herb-Rubbed Rib Eyes using this recipe: http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/2011/06/sous-vide-bbq-ribeye-steaks/  

Hot tubbed for 3.5hrs at 131 - yes, that a tad above medium rare but the fam will only do medium. Removed the fire ring and dropped the CI grate. Dome temp was 550 - not sure what the grate temp was. Seared for 1.5 min per side. Served with a Brussels Sprout and Cremini mushroom risotto. My girls loved the SV texture of the meat and it was super tender.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Looks great!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    I'm looking forward to trying short ribs and flank steak on the SV next.
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    looks great! I love my SV setup and it makes me look like a pro every time.

Beaufort, SC
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    My brother has a SV setup he brought to my house a couple months back. We got some HUGE dry aged grass fed ribeyes, did them around 122 or so, and then flash seared them around 900* on the BGE.. Man they were good... More work, but worth it.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Man that looks good. The wait til Oct for the new Anova is going to be a long one...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Good lookin' steak! Try the sear in a hot CI skillet or griddle next time. Wall to wall sear! Flavor!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Carolina Q
    Do you prefer the "taste" of one seared in a pan instead of on the grid or the "look" of the pan seared. I have always seared on the grid but been considering trying the pan method as it gets great reviews on the forum. Also do you use a dry pan for searing? Thanks in advance.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600

This looks GREAT! I just ordered a SV Demi and should get it this week, on there videos they show them tubbing 1 1/2 to 2 inch Fillets at 134 for 4 fours then searing for 90 seconds a side for what looked the perfect temp for me (medium rare) What kind of food sealer to you have and are using special bags for SV.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck King

Dimondale Michigan

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You don't have to adhere to the 131* minimum if you are only doing a few hours. Just saying.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You don't have to adhere to the 131* minimum if you are only doing a few hours. Just saying.
    Agree.  And there's no benefit from going longer than it takes to heat up to your set point temperature.   So the thickness determines the time - look it up in a table.  Say you want to cook a steak rare - 1" thick, maybe an hour.  2" thick maybe 2.5 hours (making these numbers up).   Don't go over 4 hours below 131F. 131 F and above you can cook indefinitely.  I've gone 5 days.
    edited May 2014
    @Grillmagic: I use Vacstrip bags for my Foodsaver unit. I have had nothing but problems with the Foodsaver-brand bags but Vacstrip always seals. I just bought 150 (sm, med, lg) bags from Sweetattack for $42. 
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600

@Grillmagic: I use Vacstrip bags for my Foodsaver unit. I have had nothing but problems with the Foodsaver-brand bags but Vacstrip always seals. I just about 150 (sm, med, lg) bags from Sweetattack for $42. 

Thanks!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    SGH said:
    @Carolina Q‌ Do you prefer the "taste" of one seared in a pan instead of on the grid or the "look" of the pan seared. I have always seared on the grid but been considering trying the pan method as it gets great reviews on the forum. Also do you use a dry pan for searing? Thanks in advance.
    Taste is subjective, eh? I rather like pan seared. You might not. I do use a bit of canola. Need to try it dry though. Or maybe butter.

As for looks, you can't beat this...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @‌ Carolina Q
    I just went and picked up my 17 lodge from the old place. Gonna try the pan finish after smoking over oak at 225. Will let you know how they turn out.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.