Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza steel vs BGE pizza stone

I am thinking about getting a 13.5" round piece of 1/4" steel at a local shop. The price would be $60. How much preparation is needed to get the steel ready to use on the grill and what needs to be done to keep it ready? I am not sure whether to buy the steel or just get a BGE 14" pizza stone. Any help would be appreciated.
Gulf Coast FL

Comments

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited April 2014
    A common issue you see with pizza on the egg is getting top of pizza golden brown before bottom is burnt. Steel just makes this issue worse.
  • Heated issue.

If the round will cost you that much before it's prepped, you're better off just ordering one -- look for The Baking Steel.  For a 14 inch round, it's $79 with free shipping.  It's seasoned and you don't need to worry about what kind of steel.

@Cowdogs has a point -- and this is an issue that I ran into just last night -- using a baking steel, the bottom of the pizza was perfect, the toppings were golden, but the top edges of the crust were more pale than I had hoped.  I suspect the answer is getting the steel a little higher in the dome for more reflective heat (that is what I did before with some greater success).  That said, I do not have personal experience with the stone, so I cannot address the statement that "Steel just makes this issue worse."

Where I see the steel as having the clear edge is in versatility.  You can't griddle on a pizza stone and the steel is an awesome griddle.  The steel also won't break, but it might break your toe if you dropped it on it.  So, there's that...
    I will never cook inside again.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    $60?! Find another shop! I just bought a 14x16x1/4" steel last Saturday for $14. Local steel company has a whole building with cutoffs and other surplus. $1 per pound. A36 steel is what the Baking Steel is made of.

I am planning to season it like cast iron and see what happens. If you listen to the folks at Slice, the steel is the greatest thing ever for the home pizza baker. But then, they use their kitchen ovens. I haven't used mine yet so I have no idea how it will work. Right now, it will only fit in my oven. I'll probably try it there first before I bother to cut a 14" round. I won't use it for a griddle indoors so I will have to cut it for the egg sooner or later.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

A36 is an ASTM standard for structural steel. That is what we call pig iron in the tube and pipe industry.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Well, A36 is what the Baking Steel guy used for his prototype. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    I don't have a lot of options here. The steel will be cut on a laser cutter so it will be a real good cut. I am sure that I could get it real cheap if no cutting was involved. I have sent Baking Steel two messages asking for a price on a 13"-13.5" steel and have yet to receive a response. I know that I won't break the steel and I want to get it above the felt level to get the top and bottom done at the same time.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    My stone has lived outside for 3 years and it hasn't rusted. Don't think you'll have the same luck with the baking steel. I don't have experience with the baking steel but have turned out some dynamite pies on my stone.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Little Steven
    Well, A36 is what the Baking Steel guy used for his prototype. 
    That is sort of what I meant. For the first time, at least publicly, I am agreeing with you. You should feel good about that.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    edited April 2014
    grEGGorys said:
    I don't have a lot of options here. The steel will be cut on a laser cutter so it will be a real good cut. I am sure that I could get it real cheap if no cutting was involved. I have sent Baking Steel two messages asking for a price on a 13"-13.5" steel and have yet to receive a response. I know that I won't break the steel and I want to get it above the felt level to get the top and bottom done at the same time.
    Plasma or waterjet would be a cheaper method. Laser setup is a bear. It doesn't have to be accurate to microns and a quick trip around it with an angle grinder would take care of any rough edges or burrs. I think I would get it sand or bead blasted too. The steel is pretty cheap. The other option would be to look for somebody cutting 13 1/2" round stock. Take an off cut. Even tool steel would be cheaper.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
     I am agreeing with you. You should feel good about that.
    Be still my heart!!  :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    grEGGorys said:
    I have sent Baking Steel two messages asking for a price on a 13"-13.5" steel and have yet to receive a response. 
    That would seriously tick me off. But maybe there's a good reason. If you still want to contact him, his name is Andris Lagsdin and he lives in Cohasset MA. I don't know if he still works there, but he was with Stoughton Steel when he started Baking Steel via Kickstarter. Probably still works there. Twitter is @bakingsteel and Facebook is @andrislagsdin

No, I am not a stalker. :) Slice did an interview with him a while back And they provided that info. You can probably find phone numbers for that matter. Here's the interview...

Good luck!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• grEGGorys
    Little Steven: I think it was a plasma cutter and not a laser cutter. Thanks for letting me know the different cutting methods. How much different will this piece of steel differ from the Baking Steel?
    Gulf Coast FL
  • It will require a lot more effort.
  • Carolina Q
    It will require a lot more effort.
    Why? He's buying it already cut. All he has to do is season it.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I guess that is more effort since the BS is already seasoned.
  • Carolina Q
    Umm, yeah. Lotsa work there.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• One is going online and tapping a few keys -- a few days later, UPS drops the thing at your door ready to go. 

The other involves phone calls, driving around, and seasoning it yourself.  It does save you 19 bucks.

I suppose I could change my own oil too, but for 19 bucks, I'll leave it to Jiffy Lube.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I only have the BGE Pixar stone and and I have turned out some top notch pies. Hard to believe they would be much better on steel. I'd get the stone.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Little Steven
    I guess that is more effort since the BS is already seasoned.
    I agree but dude said he had no response from Andres. Probably living on his yacht in Bora Bora. I can get the steel cut, shot blasted and annealed for nothing and I have two baking steels.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Umm, yeah. Lotsa work there.

Even though incremental, 1 will always be greater than 0.
  • Little Steven
    grEGGorys said:
    Little Steven: I think it was a plasma cutter and not a laser cutter. Thanks for letting me know the different cutting methods. How much different will this piece of steel differ from the Baking Steel?
    I don't know what BS does for a finish. I suspect it is sand or bead blasted. If I were making one I would shot blast it to get some texture for a pebbled finish on one side.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2014
    Just to clarify, the baking steel is available in a 14 inch:

I agree with @SenorHuevo that if you are looking at $60 for the raw steel I would just buy the baking steel. 

If you only want this for pizza, then I would be inclined to go with a stone.  If you want the option to griddle, then the baking steel might be a good option.   Then again...you could get something like this:

...in addition to a pizza stone, and still cost less money than the BS. It also makes a better griddle because the grease won't run right off and cause a flare up.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Then again...you could get something like this:
    ...in addition to a pizza stone, and still cost less money than the BS. It also makes a better griddle because the grease won't run right off and cause a flare up.  
    Flip that griddle over and you can cook pizzas on it like a baking steel.  It probably would work as well as a stone.
  • grEGGorys
    Thank you for all the replies. I have a medium so the 14" griddle with handles would not fit. I only plan on doing pizza but I never know what I will get into next.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Why not use a stone and a cast iron skillet. I bought my skillet for my egg but now use it all of the time in the kitchen. It's my favorite pan
    Mark Annville, PA
  • grEGGorys
    I think I will go with a stone for now. May pick up a skillet at a later time. Thanks
    Gulf Coast FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    grEGGorys said:
    Thank you for all the replies. I have a medium so the 14" griddle with handles would not fit. I only plan on doing pizza but I never know what I will get into next.
    Gotcha.  For the medium, I think a 14 inch stone might be too big as well because it would restrict the air flow.  I would go with a 12-13 inch stone or steel.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    This lodge piece looks appealing to me and it has very high ratings. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E2V3X/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    The only problem I see with that Lodge pan is that it says it is oven safe only to 400 degrees F. Way too low to cook a decent pie IMO.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • grEGGorys
    I figure that my medium will take a 13-13.5" stone or pan without handles. I just hate going down to a 12" stone as I will lose more pizza room. I have seen where some use the 14" stone in their medium but I would not be able to raise it in the dome at all. That is one reason for the original question about getting one(steel) local because I can get what size I want.
    Gulf Coast FL