Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you clean burn and why?

Good day eggheads!!! Just wondering who on here does a clean burn from time to time and if you find them very beneficial in reducing a smokey flavor to certain foods like veggies.I have almost figured out how to remove any unwanted harsh smokey flavors by getting a good hot fire going and letting the lump pre-burn for at least 45 min using R.O but even then I find veg very difficult for the wife and kids too like  due to the smokey taste they get from it.

Does all the black stuff on the underside of the dome and sides of the egg impart much smokiness when at high temps or is the lump the only smoke contributor here?? I haven't been using wood chips/chunks at all lately.

Thanks....and yes this is not a OT post!!!! lol

canman1976.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• KSwoll
    KSwoll Posts: 129
    I do a clean burn for about two hours at 650 the night before I plan on cooking pizza. If I don't, the pizza tends to have to much of a smoke flavor to it that it is not good.
    XL, Large, Medium, and Mini Max
    Northern Virgina
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Nope. The only clean burn I do is an occasional pizza or stir fry (high temp cooks). Never done a clean burn in all the time I've had my eggs.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I have found that a clean burn after a couple of low and slows or before I cook a pizza or after a reverse sear keeps the nasty taste out of the food. The combination of the clean burn, more patience waiting for the clean smoke and better lump has eliminated any issues. The clean burn does help. BTW, you can smell the grill before and after the clean burn and realize it worked.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I do a clean burn once or twice a year, partly to clean the plate setter.  Once I put the daisy wheel vent thing in and it burnt off all the seasoning that had built up causing it to rust, spraying it with Pam fixed that but now I don't put it in anymore.

Gerhard
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Right on so what temp should I aim for ?

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited April 2014
    I usually go between 650 and 750 for an hour. Be sure to burp or wear gloves when you open it to check.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i do alot of low and slow direct chicken cooks in the summer, it really makes a mess of the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    edited April 2014
    Is it ok to leave SS grates and adj rig etc in there to be cleaned also? At 750 say?

• Is it ok to leave SS grates and adj rig etc in there to be cleaned also? At 750 say?
    Yep. I don't have an AR but I can't see how it would hurt that.

Put your platesetter in too if you want that cleaned.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I think the best way to do a clean burn is to cook a pizza or two  like Griffin suggested.  Let the egg rip for 45 minutes or so until the smoke is burning nice and clean, then throw on a pie or two.  Might as well not waste all that lump and heat. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I did once. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Mickey said:

I did once.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

@Mickey Why do you put lump on your cooking grid during a clean burn? Does it help with higher temps? ;):))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Twice a year I remove all of the insides of my Eggs. I use balled up aluminum foil to clean the gunk in the top of the dome. Following that, I use my garage vac to vacuum any remaining  ash.  Helps to have the correct filter for that. Never have had to clean the platesetter since I use a drip pan when cooking indirect.

Springram
    Spring, Texas

LBGE and Mini
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Clean burn is like a rocket aimed into the ground!
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Clean burn is like a rocket aimed into the ground!
    Ha ha ha love it!

Agree totally.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I usually rotate in some pizza cooks to burn off creosote and grease. Last night the sherif didn't want pizza so I did a burn.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I don't clean burn at nuclear temperates, but after a low and slow cook I usually let the egg get about 650 and burn off any drippings. I have found if I don't do that the bad smoke next time takes extremely long to burn off.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    First year of egg ownership, it was mostly low and slows and smoking stuff. Did a clean burn to remove the crud from the dome as some of it started to fall on the food. 
    Last couple of years, found it was not needed. We seem to use the egg for pizza or a hot reverse sear, temps in the 600-700º range, at least weekly. The dome and sides of base look pretty clean.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Jeronamo
    Jeronamo Posts: 50
    I cook pizza every 2 or 3 weeks so I usually let the egg go at 650ish for an hour before I cook. If I don't the pizza has a strong smoke taste. Other than this I don't do any other clean burns.
  • I do when I forget to crack the vents and I get mold build up (like tonight which was horrible horrible buildup with the wild temp swings and rain we got over the last couple weeks)... I just set it as hot as it would go with the dampish lump and left it a couple hours. It was only like 550 and that was with a full throttle fan feeding the flames.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    Never. Have cooked pizza - frankly don't notice an issue. To each his own.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

I have gotten the XL up to 900 plus and the large to about 810 or so and let the charcoal and or raw dried mesquite wood burn down to ash.  the next day, the inside of both eggs were so clean- I was astounded. all internal ceramic parts (dome, firebox, plate setter and lower part of egg) had the same cream color they had when I brought them home new.

So yes, a clean burn occasionally is advisable. 

Oh yeah, the metal parts come out with a light layer of grey ash on them and pull them off when the grills are cool and tap them with a grill brush and they'll be super clean

• Mickey said:
    I did once. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    There must be more to this story!  Did you fall asleep dreaming of your wings??  
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    I think Mickey was trying to find a way to make his own lump! Looks like my father inlaws recipe for ham that went bad. First step drink beer. Second step drink more beer. Third step put ham in pan with some beer. Fourth step drink a beer. Fifth step put ham in over and cook. Sixth step drink another beer. Seventh step take a nap. Eighth step wake up to drink another beer. Ninth step check ham. Tenth step if ham is not burned add brown sugar and pineapple or maple syrup. Eleventh step is drink more beer and try not to fall asleep again.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Mickey,that is the funniest picture I have ever seen, GeorgeS, that is the best story I have ever read. Thanks guys!