Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti vs. Pelican

Options
I have been thinking about getting a Yeti cooler but today my friend showed me his Pelican and he claims it's much better than the Yeti. Can anyone speak on these coolers?

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I don't know either, but I doubt one is "better" than the other... If you like guitars it's like a Taylor vs a Martin. Or an F150 vs a Silverado...

I know both are way more expensive than my igloo. :)

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    F150 .... hands down!!
    B-)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Google it. Yeti never wins the "days for ice to melt" test. Engel and pelican are good. Nola make sweet sweet love to his pelican nightly.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    I wouldn't want to get the new F150s dirty! They are nice (and for $50K they better be).

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• jeroldharter
    Options
    My 45 quart Yeti is excellent. Built like a tank. Have not compared it to other premium coolers though.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They both suck, buy an Igloo.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I'd get the cheaper of the two. Both are total overkill, for most people.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Left Central Texas 10 days ago with my Yeti 45 in the back of the van. Still plenty of ice and don't think I will need any for the next several days. I am using a Polar Bear soft side behind the front seats for water and cokes so not opening much. Like it enough that I ordered a 25 Roadie that will be there by the time I get back.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    F250 is bigger and uses alot more fuel. Did 500 miles today on one tank of diesel.

Got two Yetis and nothing compares. I use mine alot for at the track and when I was using my igloo I was buying $15-20 of ice every few days. Now I fill the yeti up at home and don't need ice for the whole time racing.

If you are looking for something you are going to use for a few days and not have access to ice the Yeti is way to go. If your chilling beers in the back yard for picnics go with the igloo.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    Options
    I bought the 45 qt pelican from SAMs Club...when it got here and I saw the size, I had to return it... It will not fit in a normal trunk and it can barely fit in the back of the ext. cab F250. its just too big. I have to agree that these are an overkill for the weekend warrior. Maybe if you need to camp for a week straight, but you will not be lugging it around, it weighs 35lbs Empty. Also, remember that how many times you open it can significantly affect the amount of time it will keep ice.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    Options

I agree with TUTTLE.

The campground I frequent is in BFE.  My Pelican will pay for itself in 5 years with ice cost savings.  It's a KOA site, so they charge top dollar for everything.  You have to use their firewood.  We buy a bundle and lay it around, and use our own.

A few things swayed me to Pelican.  First, price.  Second, the Pelican's hinges.  Third, the Pelican's handles.  Used a Pelican flashlight years ago working in a paint factory to flush blenders.  Even with the Xylene, the thing was bulletproof.  I still use it for nighttime eggin'.  The military uses Pelican containers for their expensive epuipment.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Pelcan cases and coolers where created for the military so they should be good, buy exspensive.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Here is the one I saw. Who knows? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I can't speak for anything but the Yeti. I have been very pleased. Usually Friday thru Sunday with no need to reload.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Yetis have served me well, but I've never had another premium cooler to compare them with.  I have kept a bunch of ice in a Yeti for four days when draining off the liquid.  I'm sure there are equals, but I would have to see a better one with my own eyes to believe it.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I am a pelican owner. I don't think there is really any difference between the two as far performance....Not scientific statement, just based upon my observations at eggfests. I bought the pelican over the Yeti because I use pelican cases for work and they are very durable (my qual kit is twenty+ years and I have backed over it and it is still going strong). Also the Pelican comes with a lifetime warranty.
    With either one you won't be disappointed in their performance. Just remember they both are very heavy when full.
    BTW. The more you go in and out of the box the more you decrease the ice life. We have a polar bear for travel and just purchased the dry box for the eggfest. The food is transferred to the dry box and the Pelican stays in the car. This worked out very well yesterday at the Athens fest.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    I have a yeti and love it. I take it to deer camp and it keeps ice for the whole time we are back there. Also it is a great cooler for the drift boat. I'm sure the Pelican is just as good, might even be better but I'm not sure one would truly notice the differences between them unless you used them side by side day in and day out. I think you will be happy with either one.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    You can't go wrong with any of the top tier coolers. Yeti Pelican Engel are all great and will more than serve there intended purpose. I have a small Engel and love it. I also have a large Pelican and love it equal. It just boils down to what a man wants or thinks he needs. One has no advantage over the other as they all are top of the line. My next one will be a Yeti just because I don't have one and I like to try different things. Enjoy your Pelican. It was money well spent my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    I have both a 45 qt Yeti and the 25 Rodie. Love 'em. They both made the trip to Salado this year and last.  They are way too much overkill just like the Pelican, Engel, etc. 

I drive a car other than a Volkswagen Beetle so I overkill on transportation too....

BTW, there is not an Engel dealer within a 100 miles of the Houston area. 

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    Check out the other American made ones.
    Ice hole coolers
    Grizzly
    Orca( identical to yeti but USA made)

I have a grizzly and several yetis( some are 10 years old) and also a couple k2 coolers... If I buy again, it would be grizzly or engel honestly
    Beaufort, SC
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    DMW said:

They both suck, buy an Igloo.

And if anyone thought I was being serious, I wasn't. If I had a need for a quality cooler I would be asking the same question.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker