Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer?? Help!

Options
I have both a large that is 2 years old and a Mini that is 4 months old and both thermometers are shoot! What the hell happened or better yet what did I do wrong?
Toronto,  Ontario,  Large, Large, Mini Max

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Are they beyond calibrating?  Like the glass is broken and probes bent?
    Options
    +3 shot how? Did you go nuclear and not pull and the needle wrap, water intrusion, cracked glass, needle bent or broken... What? Would guess you understand how to recalibrate the Tel-Tru.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    If <1yo, I believe the thermo is covered under warranty. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    yep.  A year.

There's a big difference between being grossly inaccurate and broken, and we need more information or pictures.

Options
    yep.  A year.

There's a big difference between being grossly inaccurate and broken, and we need more information or pictures.

Possibly the results of your last prostate exam (or paps if appropriate) some  of us prefer video, stills often will not allow a complete diagnosis.... 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @eggingout1983‌...This thread is going nowhere fast. Thermometer?? Help! What wrong with it? "crickets". Nobody can "help" you if the problem is unknown.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Also, just so we are all clear, the thermometer that comes with the BGE is meant to measure dome temp, not be removed and inserted in food as a meat thermometer. ;)

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    DMW said:
    Also, just so we are all clear, the thermometer that comes with the BGE is meant to measure dome temp, not be removed and inserted in food as a meat thermometer. ;)

I think at Nola's house it does double duty as a rectal thermo......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • eggingout1983
    Options
    Sorry passed out last night and just checked in... Ok no they are not cracked their is no water in them but I know they are at least 100 to 200 degrees off
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Boil some water, put the probes in the boiling water and turn the nut on the base of the stem until it matches the temp of the boiling water at your altitude.  212 F at sea-level.  Lower if you're at higher altitudes.
    thanks i'll try that this weekend 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Your dealer should have given you the instructions on how to reset it like nolaegghead said. Now when I was cooking some chicken last weekend i used used my new dual thermometer and noticed there is about 100 degrees difference between the grill and the dome. i am going to do a low and slow tomorrow to check and see how far apart they are for it tomorrow. Good look.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.