Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - possibly moving to Austin

Just got a job offer. Waiting on HR to contact with specifics about $, time off, etc. Need some recommendations on where to look for housing. Any help would be appreciated. Good school district is a must. Would love to live in Austin if possible, if not closer is better, don't want a long commute. Thanks for the help!
Austin, TX

Comments

• email me: johnoakestx@gmail.com

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • and bring your checkbook if you want to live close to town........

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Or move into CT's basement. He has an egg to share.
  • Or move into CT's basement. He has an egg to share.
    and by basement he means "garage". This is Central TX, we do not do basements. Bedrock is 1/4' under the imported soil. 
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 479

email me: johnoakestx@gmail.com

done, thanks
    Austin, TX
  • Eggpharmer

Or move into CT's basement. He has an egg to share.

and by basement he means "garage". This is Central TX, we do not do basements. Bedrock is 1/4' under the imported soil. 

Could me, Swmbo, the baby and two dogs fit? If so, I'm in
    Austin, TX
  • Or move into CT's basement. He has an egg to share.
    Could me, Swmbo, the baby and two dogs fit? If so, I'm in
    It's full of lump at the moment but we could arrange something :))

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Don't do it man, I hear that Austin causes people to drink very heavy. 8-}

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bud812 said:
    I prefer the words "very often" over very heavy. sounds better that way.

• bud812
    bud812 said:

You are right Cen-Tex. I tell my friends that I don't drink any more(than I have to).

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bud812 said:
    bud812 said:

You are right Cen-Tex. I tell my friends that I don't drink any more(than I have to).
    In the words of the great Kevin Fowler: "I'm not drinking any more........but I'm not drinking any less"

• Eggpharmer
    bud812 said:

Austin, TX
  • Eggpharmer
    bud812 said:

Austin, TX
  • bud812
    Thanks, I'll use that one from now on.

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Just got a job offer. Waiting on HR to contact with specifics about $, time off, etc. Need some recommendations on where to look for housing. Any help would be appreciated. Good school district is a must. Would love to live in Austin if possible, if not closer is better, don't want a long commute. Thanks for the help!
    Where are you moving from? 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.

• Just got a job offer. Waiting on HR to contact with specifics about $, time off, etc. Need some recommendations on where to look for housing. Any help would be appreciated. Good school district is a must. Would love to live in Austin if possible, if not closer is better, don't want a long commute. Thanks for the help!

My god you Steiner Ranch people are insidious. The guy hasn't even gotten his offer yet and you are already "recruiting" him.

• Eggpharmer

Central MS
    Austin, TX
  • What part of town will you be working? Traffic in Austin I'd horrible. You'll want to be relatively close if possible or you'll spend all your time commuting.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    What part of town will you be working? Traffic in Austin I'd horrible. You'll want to be relatively close if possible or you'll spend all your time commuting.
    That is sadly true.  And I only visit Austin.  My brother and son have lived there on and off and it's famously congested.
    If you live in Austin, you have to learn all the back roads for getting across town during peak traffic times.  Your goal is just to keep moving, and you wouldn't be doing that on the main thoroughfairs.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Austin 40 years ago was a dream location. Today?  A lot of the charm, etc plus heavy traffic have brought it inline with other large communities.

Still, better than a lot of other places.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Eggpharmer
    Yea, I'm expecting the bad traffic and have learned about taking surface streets on this last trip recently but am by no means an expert on the area.
    Austin, TX
  • Eggpharmer

What part of town will you be working? Traffic in Austin I'd horrible. You'll want to be relatively close if possible or you'll spend all your time commuting.

NE - near I-35 and E 51st
    Austin, TX
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Which is longer... the line at Franklins or the traffic jam on I-35?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Sad to read about the traffic situation now.  I used to go TDY to the Lockheed plant around '84-'87, was very easy to get around and hitting Austin during the Pecan Festival (5th, or 6th, Street?) was HellaFun!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Watch your goodies Hawkeye. Most of these Austinites are sex maniacs  :(

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Watch your goodies Hawkeye. Most of these Austinites are sex maniacs  :(
    No wonder Perry is pushing the HPV shots.... :P

My god you Steiner Ranch people are insidious. The guy hasn't even gotten his offer yet and you are already "recruiting" him.

=)) I swear it's all rumour.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.