Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAPP torch vs. starter sticks

Options
Ktim
Ktim Posts: 364
Will the torch impart an off flavor to the Egg.

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    No
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    nope

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Even if you did get your hands on real MAPP gas, which they stopped making years ago, it all burns cleanly away instantly.
    Options
    If you have to go with fire, the torch is the best solution, even over oil soaked paper towels. The torch is very convenient, you don't have to think or plan ahead, most of us are creatures of convenience. I have power within 12" of my egg, so I use an electric starter. Clean, easy, not as fast as a torch, but very convenient. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ktim
    Options
    What about propane,is that ok.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Ktim said:
    Absolutely.  I'm saving my last tank of MAPP gas for soldering.  I've been using propane for a long time.
    Options
    Ktim said:
    Better off with the map. Propane torches tend to self-extinguish when inverted and don't perform well in cold weather.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I use 91% alcohol and it is clean and fairly quick.  Very safe to use.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Get a mapp torch head that you can turn upside down. Typical propane torch heads will extinguish when the LP gets to the top of the bottle. I just use mapp gas. It's cheap and lasts a long time. No flavor will be imparted on the food.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Ktim
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The torch is either designed to work upside down or not, doesn't have anything to do with the type of gas, unless it's in a canister that can work upside down. 

My torch has a hose. 

Propane pressure drops with temperature.
    Options

Ktim said:

Absolutely.  I'm saving my last tank of MAPP gas for soldering.  I've been using propane for a long time.

propane. ..not cocaine.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Shiff said:

I use 91% alcohol and it is clean and fairly quick.  Very safe to use.

91%...I'm in. Probably not for long though.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    The torch is either designed to work upside down or not, doesn't have anything to do with the type of gas, unless it's in a canister that can work upside down. 

My torch has a hose. 

Propane pressure drops with temperature.
    I have a steam cleaner that only works with two 4 foot propane tanks.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Just don't light your propane starter on fire like I did. But I expect your not an idiot like I am either.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • nolaegghead
    Options

gmac said:
    Just don't light your propane starter on fire like I did. But I expect your not an idiot like I am either.
    Sorry, all in good fun...in context, I couldn't resist. :D

Options
     I'm saving my last tank of MAPP gas for soldering.  I've been using propane for a long time.
    You have a tank of real MAPP? Cool! Or hot, as it were.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    edited April 2014
    Options
     I'm saving my last tank of MAPP gas for soldering.  I've been using propane for a long time.
    You have a tank of real MAPP? Cool! Or hot, as it were.
    Yep, left over from a case I bought around 15 years ago.  I used it like propane until the Naked Wiz told me they stopped making it. 
    Options
    I love the torch. It really get things going fast and I don't mind paying a little extra for that.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    I love the torch. It really get things going fast and I don't mind paying a little extra for that.
    I'm not even sure that you're paying extra, at least not compared to the starter sticks.  The gas lasts forever, and I'm pretty sure you make up the difference in cost of the torch itself pretty quickly.  I was going through a box of starters about every 2 weeks.  At that rate it only takes about 3 months to pay for the torch.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

Even if you did get your hands on real MAPP gas, which they stopped making years ago, it all burns cleanly away instantly.

:-? I get MAPP from HVAC/R parts supply on usually a bimonthly basis. Are you saying it's not "real" MAPP? It burns just as MAPP did ie:brazing up to 7/8" ref piping w/ 15% silver solder. But, honestly I use my oxygen/ acetylene more because it is much quicker and can pinpoint braze. But, lighting egg is NP with my little MAPP torch (w/ no flavor etc).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Not MAPP? I will say it ain't cheap like propane or butane. But, it'll braze piping nicely. ;-) +3 @nolaegghead‌ burns very clean.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL - it will say "MAPP" on the bottle.   Not MAP/P or anything other than MAPP.

MAPP gas is a trademarked name belonging to Linde Group, previously to Dow, for a fuel gas based on a stabilized mixture of methylacetylene (propyne) and propadiene. The name comes from the original chemical composition: methylacetylene-propadiene propane. MAPP gas is also widely used as a generic name for UN 1060 stabilised methylacetylene-propadiene (unstabilised methylacetylene-propadiene is known as MAPD). MAPP gas is widely regarded as a safer and easier-to-use substitute for acetylene. In the spring of 2008, true MAPP gas production ended in North America when production was discontinued at the only remaining plant making it. Current products labeled "MAPP" are in fact MAPP substitutes. These versions are stabilized liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) with high levels of propylene.
    Options
    I am so glad I gave the Mapp torch a chance. I love how fast I can get everything up and going. I feel like one tank will last along time. I have been running on my first tank for a few months and have used it at least 2 times a week or more plus I sweated a bunch of copper pipe with it. I just keeps going. Im beginning to think its never going to run out. lol
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    +3 agree with ya @nolaegghead‌ :-). The "next generation" MAP is still pretty damn close to the original MAPP as far as brazing is concerned. My bad...I just realized this tank is next gen MAP. Well, lol oops. My regular supply house ran out of regular MAPP sometime in late 2010 after they ran out of stock (just left there and asked a guy I've been doing business with for close to 20+ yrs). I do have 2 "real" MAPP cylinders (dusty an old) at my shop and the cylinder before this was MAPP not next gen MAP. But, this next gen MAP is ok (like I said it will braze just fine).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The old stuff supposedly was better, but it's splitting hairs.  Most plumbers and HVAC guys use oxygen-acetylene when they really need the heat (silver soldering).  MAPP took forever on big pipes.  I put in my HVAC system and ran a nitrogen purge through the pipe and used oxygen-acetylene - that's part of the reason I did it myself....most contractors take shortcuts and you don't get the best work.

Lump starts burning around 450-500F, so max heat isn't an issue.  Propane works fine.  So does hot air.  A faster way to start is just use a bigger torch, like Mickey does.
    Options

The old stuff supposedly was better, but it's splitting hairs.  Most plumbers and HVAC guys use oxygen-acetylene when they really need the heat (silver soldering).  MAPP took forever on big pipes.  I put in my HVAC system and ran a nitrogen purge through the pipe and used oxygen-acetylene - that's part of the reason I did it myself....most contractors take shortcuts and you don't get the best work.

Lump starts burning around 450-500F, so max heat isn't an issue.  Propane works fine.  So does hot air.  A faster way to start is just use a bigger torch, like Mickey does.

Ouch "MOST" contractors is a painting with a very broad brush. Fortunately I don't take offense as I am not one of these short cut guys. I and the company I work for get extra work from going behind these types to repair their shortcomings. And yes I primarily use O2/acetalene for ref pipework (much faster because gets up around 1,200℉-1,500℉ and yes one should use 7psig NO2 while brazing to ensure the dehydrated ref copper has minimal oxidation. I have used MAPP for up to 7/8" hardrawn copper w/ 15% silver solder and have done the same w/ the next generation MAP w/ excellent results.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Fishless and I (and only Fishless did before I took his advice) have you all beat........
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Ouch "MOST" contractors is a painting with a very broad brush. Fortunately I don't take offense as I am not one of these short cut guys. I and the company I work for get extra work from going behind these types to repair their shortcomings. And yes I primarily use O2/acetalene for ref pipework (much faster because gets up around 1,200℉-1,500℉ and yes one should use 7psig NO2 while brazing to ensure the dehydrated ref copper has minimal oxidation. I have used MAPP for up to 7/8" hardrawn copper w/ 15% silver solder and have done the same w/ the next generation MAP w/ excellent results.
    "Most" may be an inaccurate statement, and I don't mean to insult any contractors out there, but in my limited experience in the New Orleans area, and through the 400 or so tons of AC I've seen installed at our labs, I've never seen anyone purge with nitrogen.  What I do see them do is put extra high and low pressure filters in to catch all the carbon residue and oxidation resulting inside the pipes by not purging.  Had I known that was the right way to do it at the time, I would have called them out on it. 

Anyway, since I started working for the corporate office, I'm not acting general contractor anymore on lab build-outs.  Our parish (where I work) is like Mexico as far as building inspections go.  The only inspections we get after a build out is for the sprinkler system.
    1 cent each. Paper towel and **** cooking oil.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX