Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburgers... What's the perfect temp to cook at?

Anybody have a perfect temp and time for the average burger?

Thanks?

Comments

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    What's average?  I like thin and double stack.  Others like thick and single.  For me, it's 350 or so direct until the Thermopen says they are done.  

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • KyleEgg
    KyleEgg Posts: 37
    What internal temp do you shoot for?
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    For me, medium at the least (wife won't eat pink hamburg) so I look for 160 or so.  Other folk will suggest much lower depending on your tolerance for pink burger
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • cmkratt
    cmkratt Posts: 54
    I like to go about 1/2 pound 1" thick. Raised direct at 400 to about 145 internal. The key for me is not using the cast iron grid on burgers as it makes them too crispy on the outside.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2014
    IMO  400 Direct
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Depends on how big a buger but I go about 450 and about 3 min per side but never really time it
  • brock9281
    brock9281 Posts: 64
    Everyone go raised direct or just direct?
    Atlanta, GA
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Just finished these @400ish. Started in a cast iron skillet with onions and butter. Finished on the grid for some char. Cooked to 150ish, my knock off thermapen may be off.

However they were super good and super juicy!!!

imageimage
  • bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    I go hot and fast. 500-550 on a cast iron grid
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    I go direct at approximately 350 to 400 degrees. Cook for desired internal temperature. Personal preference. ..
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I am more or less like most of you. I cook mine direct at around 350. Burgers are quick so I am not real picky about my cooking temp, but it always ends up being between 300 and 400. 

I pull mine at 150 to 155 at the most. A Thermapen is a must!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Cook temp isn't ask important as finish temp. Before I got my Thermapen I turned out lots of overdone dry burgers, not anymore.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    325 indirect until 145 IT.. Then, sear 2.5 minutes on each side on CI at 500. Perfection.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Depending on the meat mix, 80/20 - raised direct at 400ºF, for 90/10 - direct at 350ºF. Final temp is determined by the source of the meat, from my local butcher, I'll pull at 145ºF, everything else goes to 155-160ºF. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Don't know and don't know

I just cook them until they look done
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I like my burgers rare to medium rare.  I can get away with a pretty lean grind (5-15% fat) that way.  You cook them to medium - around 135-145F, or higher, you really need to use a 20% fat burger, well done, you need even more.  Don't cook them too long or squash them.  That fat is the only think keeping a well done burger juicy.
    The grill can be at a wide range of temps - 300 - 500F.  Just impacts how even it cooks versus the sear/crust.
    Wow! Pretty hard core people grilling here. I check internal temps on chicken and large cuts of meat, but never on a burger. I cook mine about 3-4 minutes a side on standard grill direct at about 450 degrees. Leave my wife's on longer because she likes them dry. She's paranoid about Escherichia coli.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    stemc33 said:
    Wow! Pretty hard core people grilling here. I check internal temps on chicken and large cuts of meat, but never on a burger. I cook mine about 3-4 minutes a side on standard grill direct at about 450 degrees. Leave my wife's on longer because she likes them dry. She's paranoid about Escherichia coli.
    Check the temp by inserting the probe into the patty from the side, not from the top - same as you would for a steak. Get it to 160ºF for hers and all is good. Let your good wife see the temp to convince her it is safe. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797
    I've done them at every temp from 350 - 1200.  My wife prefers a good sear/crust so I cook burgers at 500 - 550.  Much above 600 and it can get away from you real fast and turn into a charcoal briquet.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    over 400 direct for me. the thermopen wrecked burgers for me so i went back to my old method. put burger on grill, wait for juices to pool up on top, flip, wait til juices pool up on top, add cheese. that fda crap about 160 degrees for burger is rediculous to me, i grew up sampling raw ground burger
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • khristyjeff
    khristyjeff Posts: 163
    I do hand-formed patties and cook them at 350-400 for 4 minutes, flip, then 4 more minutes and they're done.  If I have preformed patties, it takes much longer.
  • Tigers34
    Tigers34 Posts: 37
    I did burgers last night.  Cooked at 400 raised direct for about 5 minutes or so on each side.   
  • In summary, there is no perfect temp and there is no average burger. As a rule, though, we can say the more char you want for a given IT or the rarer you want for a given amount of char, the hotter the grill should be.
    over 400 direct for me. the thermopen wrecked burgers for me so i went back to my old method. put burger on grill, wait for juices to pool up on top, flip, wait til juices pool up on top, add cheese. that fda crap about 160 degrees for burger is rediculous to me, i grew up sampling raw ground burger

I wouldn't go that far. I like a pink burger as much as anyone. But they have very good reason for that recommendation. Grinding meat gets all of those yummy contaminates from the slaughterhouse from the outside of the meat to the inside. Steaks and such where the meat is intact only have contamination on the surface, which gets plenty hot, and that is why it is safe to eat them rare. It's all about tolerance for risk. You could eat 1000 burgers that way and be fine, and then the next could give you the worst explosive diarrhea you can imagine. If you're okay with that risk, have at it. But the recommendations are not crap.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • fishlessman
    In summary, there is no perfect temp and there is no average burger. As a rule, though, we can say the more char you want for a given IT or the rarer you want for a given amount of char, the hotter the grill should be.

I wouldn't go that far. I like a pink burger as much as anyone. But they have very good reason for that recommendation. Grinding meat gets all of those yummy contaminates from the slaughterhouse from the outside of the meat to the inside. Steaks and such where the meat is intact only have contamination on the surface, which gets plenty hot, and that is why it is safe to eat them rare. It's all about tolerance for risk. You could eat 1000 burgers that way and be fine, and then the next could give you the worst explosive diarrhea you can imagine. If you're okay with that risk, have at it. But the recommendations are not crap.
    ill be at the local lebanese restaurant tomorrow eating the raw lamb they serve (kibee) and have eaten the raw dry crud off a 60 day dry aged steak, im not going to worry about it
    :D i would never eat burgers again if i had to cook them to 160 degrees. i used to eat raw burger at a neighbors house daily, they would put it on top of the fridge to warm it up to eat while watching the daily news
    :-\"
    fukahwee maine

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    @fishlessman you are a very brave man. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • @fishlessman you are a very brave man. 

Brave indeed!
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • "Grilling" temperature ranges anywhere from 450-650. Anywhere in that range is fine. However, cooking at a high temp is dangerous in that fact that it is easy to overcook. I tend to stay around the 450-475 range for that reason alone. Once you've over cook, you can't go back.

Here is a lower temp recipe for an awesome burger:  http://www.biggreencraig.com/new-whiskey-planked-juicy-lucy.html
  • fishlessman
    @fishlessman you are a very brave man. 
    what im scared of is salads
    :)) lettuce puts me on a hopper for the rest of the day, even the smallest amounts. im probably the only one out there that has orders from the doctor not to eat lettuce. cabbage,kale, spinach im ok with but lettuce puts me on a hopper holding a bucket, i was goood with it til my 30's and the last 20 years it all changed
    fukahwee maine