Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How are eggfests started

We don't have an Eggfest in Charleston SC. How do they get started?
Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    First thing to do is find a local dealer who has a great relationship with their distributer and who would be willing to help you put on the Eggfest. Then email @Mickey‌.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I think if you had a few dedicated folks you'd just start small. It would take a commitment from the founders to get it going and see it through.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    We currently have 3 dealers in our area and today I went to a class at one of them (the one who seems to have the most product and the only one that has classes/demonstrations) and I asked him about this.  He thought it was up to corporate to choose a place.  I have been to an eggfest in Florida and it seemed very home-grown, as compared to Eggtoberfest, which was more "corporate".  @Chris Wang, what do you mean by "great relationship with their distributor" and @henapple, what do you mean by "founders"?  @travisstrick, that was so great- let's do this shot...
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    The answer is dedication. You start with a group of people locally having a grill off and try to get something donated/purchased to give the winner. Let it grow from there.  Eventually it will either take off into something regional and then national if you can provide enough draw from people to make the trip.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • henapple
    I'm not sure it has to be corporate. I'd Pm @Mickey. I'm sure some are more connected to dealers and reps than others. I like the way Salado is run. No cost, no competition, no vendors. I see fests that charge $ to cook. Part of cooking at an eggfest is talking to potential eggers, answering questions and as we all do. .. sharing our passion. I don't understand how you can charge someone to sell your product. Mickey doesn't charge the tasters either. It's like a big party with friends and eggs. No pressure, tight schedule or cost. I'd like to start one here in Mid TN.
  • I don't know the answer to your question but if you can make it happen I would come from Texas. Love Charleston.
  • henapple
    @booksw‌ ....by founders I just mean some folks willing to get it kick started
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    henapple said:
    I'm not sure it has to be corporate. I'd Pm @Mickey. I'm sure some are more connected to dealers and reps than others. I like the way Salado is run. No cost, no competition, no vendors. I see fests that charge $ to cook. Part of cooking at an eggfest is talking to potential eggers, answering questions and as we all do. .. sharing our passion. I don't understand how you can charge someone to sell your product. Mickey doesn't charge the tasters either. It's like a big party with friends and eggs. No pressure, tight schedule or cost. I'd like to start one here in Mid TN.
    Depends on where it is and what the market will bear IMHO. The PNW Eggfest appears to be run by the distributor, not dealers, they charge for everything, attending, cooking etc...
    I go, but only because it is a nice weekend away. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chris_Wang
    By great relationship with the distributer I mean that they would be willing to donate 40 eggs or so to be cooked on and then sold as demo eggs after the fest (at a discounted rate).

If you don't want to do that route, you could always start out with 20-30 eggheads who bring their own gear and cook for family and friends. Ultra organic way to start an Eggfest.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2014
    Start with the fact you have to have a dealer ready to plunk down $20k plus on your idea (they are supplying at least 20 Large, lump, trinkets and trash). Who is picking up cost of venue (no don't have it on dealers parking lot). Yes the Dealers Distributor has to buy into the idea as well. Next you call in all your friends and then make some more and work all of them to death. Ps: you are not paid a dime
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chris_Wang
    @Mickey‌ I never found Keith from Ace to thank him for all he did at Salado... Definitely didn't know he came $20K out of pocket. Giving away 4 Minis loaded with other goodies seemed generous enough!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• henapple
    @Mickey. ..do you need all that for the first one?
  • Mickey
    @Mickey‌ I never found Keith from Ace to thank him for all he did at Salado... Definitely didn't know he came $20K out of pocket. Giving away 4 Minis loaded with other goodies seemed generous enough!

Chris what I am saying is the dealer ( in this case it was more than that) has to front the $$$$ buying the Eggs from the Distributor. They don't sell at the Fest the dealer has already paid for them. Plus other costs.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chris_Wang
    @Mickey‌ 10-4

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Mickey
    henapple said:
    @Mickey. ..do you need all that for the first one?

You can do one w/o a dealer if everyone brought their own Eggs and lump. If you had a free venue or everyone kicked in for that cost. If that answered your question. I started Salado with just that in mind. But I knew the Distributor and a new hardware store was coming into Salado. I got lucky getting them to start selling Eggs and doing our Fest.

• oh. My. God. Classy.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ewelch04
    Ewelch04 Posts: 49
    Booksw,
    I have a few buddies in Bluffton that would be interested. We may be able to get something together. Let me know your thoughts on time of year and we can get this ball rolling. Lowcountry Eggfest has a pretty good ring!
    Bluffton, SC LBGE, SBGE, Thermapen
  • booksw
    I love Lowcountry Eggfest!  I just messaged you.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Chris_Wang
    "Lowcountry Eggfest" already puts me in a good mood.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Mickey
    Bet if Chris and his buddies would travel all the way to the Middle of Texas he would make a Low Country EggFest. I think Charleston would be a reason to head that way myself. We are off to North Georgia in May.

• Chris_Wang
    Definitely!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I would probably go . Born in Columbia, grew up there for a while, spent some time in Charleston, and have a cousin there now. 

Although the dealer has to buy into the idea, its not like they are losing money. For instance, name one other time that the dealer behind the Salado eggfest will sell 30+ eggs? Besides the next eggfest of course.

Having said that, i hung around pretty late the day of the Salado fest, and watched how much work those guys put into the fest. Their crew was on hand after the fun was over to empty burning charcoal out of eggs, get em cooled off, and then loaded on to people's vehicles. That's pretty damn awesome. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Oh hell yes. I'll be all over a Lowcountry Fest. I'm from Charleston(IOP) so I use any excuse to get down there.

Another name could be the Pluffmud EggFest. Maybe try to get it on the beach(wild dunes has the space, but I doubt they'd allow it.)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    A distributor getting 25% off retail (for the demos) is probably better than selling to a retailer (dealer). I think ta\hat is why the PNW egg fest is at the distributor's. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    If admission in charged for the tasters, does the local health department get involved with inspections?
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Ewelch04 said:
    Booksw, I have a few buddies in Bluffton that would be interested. We may be able to get something together. Let me know your thoughts on time of year and we can get this ball rolling. Lowcountry Eggfest has a pretty good ring!
    I was born and raised in bluffton, I live in the area now... you mean more eggheads live around here? 
    Beaufort, SC
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    I would love to get in and help as much as I can. I have a few good contacts with dealers here, but not sure that helps for charleston. I would be willing to help you take it on. Im a firefighter medic so i work a weird schedule but have many days off. Pm me if you would like help... We could also consider hilton head as this is my area, but charleston is nice as well. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • booksw
    I am meeting with the dealer tomorrow to discuss- I will report back :)

Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Definitely!
    Are you going to The Georgia mountain Fest???

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!