Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

APL's rack of lamb with grain mustard and chile powder

Options
Been meaning to try this for awhile - finally got around to it.  This is one of the recipes from Serious Barbecue.  The recipe is online here:

It's actually one of the "simpler" recipes in that book, in that you can do the whole thing in a couple of hours.  After having done a few of his recipes, I have to say the funny thing is how he basically applies roughly the same moisturizer and rub to just about everything.  

Picked up a couple racks of lamb from my local butcher:

These were about a pound each and are clearly frenched.  I called around and wasn't able to find any that were unfrenched without putting in a special order, and I didn't want to wait.  Maybe next time but these were so good I'm not sure I want to bother.  Applied the rub with my "helper":

And here they are all rubbed up before going on the BGE:

I stabilized the Egg at just under 250, expecting it to come up during the cook a bit.  Placesetter in (legs up), drip pan with some water, CI grill.  Apple chunks for smoke. Put a probe in one of them and had them on there for about 45 min, until the probe read 130 (I was shooting for medium).  Then I pulled them and let them rest for a bit, while I got the Egg flaming for a fast char.  I pulled the platesetter and opened her up a bit, then charred each side for a couple minutes.  Here they are fresh off the Egg after the char:

One of them burned a bit there, but no big deal.  These were actually closer to medium rare, but this shot is the jaw-dropper:

Flavor was amazing.  Lots of groans from my guests - always a good sign.  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments