Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect Spatchcock Chicken?

Has anyone attempted an indirect spatch chicken?  If so, what temperature did you settle on, and how did it turn out?
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    No need to, I go raised direct 375-400, always comes out great.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Around 400....turned out good.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    I do indirect spatched chicken all the time only because the family isn't fond of  off smoke flavors from burning drippings, comes out better  IMHO.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    That was the second cook I ever did after getting the Egg. Had to go back and look it up and re-read it. Man have I come a long way. I went with 350F, but nowadays I'd probably go 400F.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I do indirect anywhere from 350 to 400 F.

IMO: only go direct if can do it raised or lower highest lump level significantly.

• TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  I think I'll try it indirect at 400 tonight.  I might throw in a chunk of pecan for good measure.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I usually put red potatoes and some greens in a foil pan under my spatchcock chicken. Using swing grate to get the chicken up in the dome. No plate setter. I guess it is indirect kinda.
    What rub you usin?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Good idea on the potatoes and greens, @grege345.  

I'm going to use Butt Rub and some cayenne to kick up the heat a bit.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    grege345 said:
    I usually put red potatoes and some greens in a foil pan under my spatchcock chicken. Using swing grate to get the chicken up in the dome. No plate setter. I guess it is indirect kinda. What rub you usin?
    This is almost how I do it. 400 indirect over a pan of vegetables. I put in the PS then my grid extender. Vegetables on the lower grid and chicken up top.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    +1 for veggies in drip pan.  Make sure your pan is not resting directly on your PS though.  Direct contact will cause them to burn.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    grege345 said:
    I usually put red potatoes and some greens in a foil pan under my spatchcock chicken. Using swing grate to get the chicken up in the dome. No plate setter. I guess it is indirect kinda. What rub you usin?
    This is almost how I do it. 400 indirect over a pan of vegetables. I put in the PS then my grid extender. Vegetables on the lower grid and chicken up top.
    I'm trying to picture this in my head to get it straight. Legs up then grate, pan of veggies on grate, the chicken on top of extender?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Here's an indirect with a pan of potatoes and onions underneath that I did a while back
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161708/spatch-taters-and-onions#latest
    Austin, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Griffin said:
    grege345 said:
    I'm trying to picture this in my head to get it straight. Legs up then grate, pan of veggies on grate, the chicken on top of extender?
    Exactly. Just like Eggpharmer's post above, except  Iuse the swinging extender from the group buy. Let's me access the vegetables with ease.
  • grege345
    Ya I don't use plate setter. Grate, pan,then grate with chicken

• grege345

• grege345
    Notice I put the swing grate up on bricks. This is just to keep the pan away from the coals a little more

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I have had good luck using 350-375 indirect. When the internal temp is about 10 degrees from where I want it I ramp up to 450 to set the skin to my liking and bring internal temp to where I want it. If you are not concerned with the skin you can cook any where from 225-450 with good results. Hope this helps sir.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Indirect is great with an AR...put the stone, pan of veggies...then the chicken. Works great.
    Victor
    LBGE
    America's Best Coast - The Space Coast