Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leaking BGE table cover???

mgw619
mgw619 Posts: 10
edited October 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I recently bought a cover from my local bge dealer. It wasn't the one that big green egg sells but it was one that they have made by a local upholster to pretty much be identical in shape, dimension, and I guess it's a close match on material. It's a green vinyl looking material. We got some rain over night two days ago and after removing the cover today I noticed water had leaked through the cover and puddled. Water had even managed to find its way to a bag of wgww I had stored on the shelf under the top. This is a cedar table I built similar to naked whiz, by the way. I'm thinking about returning it to the deal and asking to swap it out for one of the BGE brand covers. The only reason I didn't get the BGE brand was because they didn't have one in stock. Guess I could have ordered online..... Anyway, has anyone had any experience with the BGE brand cover leaking on them??? I top a lot of time in to my table and top and it has many good coats of spar finish on it but I still don't want it exposed to any uneccesary water. That's why I bought a cover. Any experience or input?
Evans, GA - 250 Reverse Flow (trailer), Large BGE, custom built cedar table (by me). When in doubt, smoke it.

Comments

• mgw619
    Bump
    Evans, GA - 250 Reverse Flow (trailer), Large BGE, custom built cedar table (by me). When in doubt, smoke it.
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    The BGE cover isn't waterproof either. I have to dry off the top after every rain.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • seems you're trading one problem for another, if you go coverless you might have to recoat sooner but you will also be losing the agg factor of taking it off, putting it back on, leaking issues... and perhaps more importantly, with a cover you don't get to enjoy looking at the table you made except when you're actually using it.  No matter how nice a cover might be it never looks as good as what lurks underneath
  • Keeping the sun off your Egg will help preserve the original glazing.   Sun is the worst eliment we deal with here in CA.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    I would ditch the vinyl cover and have one made from sunbrella or similar marine canvas. I've had my custom sunbrella cover for several months and it works great. We have had several storms that dropped 4-6 inches of rain and not a bit got on my table.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I have the BGE cover.  Have had it for 4 or 5 months and i have zero leaking issues.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Here's my sunbrella cover made by John at Coverworks.

Zero leakage problems for me.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    BOWHUNR  Stainless and ceramic?!  Hell, you don't even need a cover!
    My cover on my boat used to keep water out..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    True.  But being in Nebraska it keeps the snow and ice off in the winter.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • nolaegghead
    BOWHUNR said:
    True.  But being in Nebraska it keeps the snow and ice off in the winter.

Mike
    Yeah, you right.  Gotta love stainless though.
    BOWHUNR said:

Zero leakage problems for me.

Mike
    Really nice table
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    If your cover is leaking, it's probably leaking at the seams.  You can use shoe glue to seal the seams.  Another option is to use the spray-on latex rubber. Do this from the inside of the cover in both cases because it's ugly.
  • I bought a green premium BGE cover and it leaks ,but I think it is at the seam on the flat top part of the table where rain water collects. Pain in the arxe, as the are expensive. Especially when you import it from USA for a fortune. Get a quote from coverworx and use those guys.
  • I have had 2 LGE long table covers and they both leak!! Very discouraging.
  • mgw619
    Nola, shoe glue? Have you tried this fix and where can I get the glue?
  • mgw619
    Henapple..... How much did the cover you had made from sunbrella fabric cost you?
  • cspearce2
    cspearce2 Posts: 107
    Henapple... Awesome cover. Do you have a link to Coverworks website or email address?
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • My BGE cover is only 3-4 mos old and I have discovered this morning mine leaks as well....was happy my egg cooled down quickly enough last night for me to cover it before the light rain last night only to wake up and see a puddle under the table and low and behold the bottom shelf had puddled up pretty bad and since I have felt riser pads under my paver that the egg sits on, water is now under the paver...sent coverworks an email to get more information on his product as I have heard great reviews
  • My wife got me a BGE cover for my XL and table and it seemed to work well until last Thanksgiving when it was frozen to the table.  In my case, it appeared to be condensation that was the culprit but it may have leaked.  Another product to seal seams is the stuff that is available at sporting goods/camping stores that is used to seal stitching on tent seams.  Less messy and looks better, but I would still use it on the inside.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited February 2014
    What I did years ago and it is still working for me with no leaks was to pick up a tube of seam sealer sold at a sporting goods store that is sold to prevent the same leakage problem with canvas tents. It was a quick fix and it works!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I am having the same issue...about 2 weeks ago we got a small rain but my egg was covered (only 3mos old BGE Cover) and there was water on the bottom shelf.  I thought this was some fluke so last night after the egg cooled down I covered since we were expecting rain last night...happy I covered but then went out this AM and noticed a puddle on the ground under the table...sure enough the bottom shelf had puddled water.  looks like the seams were leaking so screw this cover and I found www.grillwraps and will be ordering one this weekend when I get home from work.  It is quite pricy though..I think he was quoting me around $350 for Sunbrella custom made cover with 10yr warranty...plus I can choose from any color they offer.  Its expensive, but given the money, time and effort into refinishing my table and I want it perfect all the time....well that and I lean on the OCD side of the fence
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    edited February 2014
    BOWHUNR said:

Zero leakage problems for me.HHow much did that cover cost?

Mike

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    How much did that cover cost?
  • They are $349 for a typical LBGE and standard BGE Table...price varies if you need bigger or smaller..you send him the dimensions you need and its custom made..10yr warranty on the sunbrella material..Expensive, but broken down over roughly 10yrs minimal expense..we got heavy downpour last night and yet again, my BGE cover leaked and underneath was puddles this morning..which is why I placed my order for one last week!!!  Can't wait...
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I have the long table cover for my XL. It leaked. I put clear silicon caulk on the seams, extra around the dome and "handle". Problem solved.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • I have a table that is a slight modification from the Wiz table plans for a large. I found a cover at Lowes that is intended for a large gasser, The cover works great on the table, no issues with water ever. Working great through  a WI winter providing protection from ice and snow as well. I paid less then $30 for it.  Cheap easy solution.
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254

This is an older thread, but this is a problem I'm still dealing with. Would like to stay with the BGE cover since it fits my Naked Whiz/Large table setup. But I've bought 2 BGE covers and they've both leaked. We pay a premium for most BGE products, and it's unacceptable to pay that price and then still have to apply glue, sealant, etc. just to keep it from leaking.

• Hi All,

I work with canvas and I use 303 protectant on canvas's that are old, it is good for UV and water proofing.