Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Stock, how do y'all do it?

Options
jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
I just put the carcass and some other bones in a pot and added water, salt and pepper. Brought to a boil and simmered for an hour or so. Is there anything else I need to do?
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Next time add mirepoix and aromatics.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    For my chicken stock that I turn into soups...

Carrots, celery, onion, parsley, sea salt, pepper and one flat of chicken quarters.

Bring to a boil and let it simmer for a few hours. Remove the chicken and the remove as much fat as you can off the surface. Chill it overnight is the easiest way...
  • jls9595
    Options
    Next time add mirepoix and aromatics.
    Ok, I had to look that up.  Will do that next time.  I normally add stock to my soups and figured I'd make some today since I de-boned a chicken.  It smells good anyway. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Pendejo
    Options
    Common mistake is to add too much water because you're wanting more stock.
  • jls9595
    Options
    I may have made that mistake. I added more after the first 20 min.  Oh well.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Last time I did it, I used thighs. They made some tasty chicken salad afterward. I've also done it with the carcass. More meat is better. And as said, don't forget the veggies. I don't add salt as I prefer to add that to whatever I'm making with the stock. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    jls9595 said:
    I may have made that mistake. I added more after the first 20 min.  Oh well.

You are still ok, when you remove all the bones put the broth back on the stove and bring to a rapid boil and reduce until you have a rich broth. Don't salt until the broth has reduce or you will end up with salty broth.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Pendejo
    Options
    Granny.  I never salt my chicken broth/stock when making it.  I add salt, as necessary, when I am preparing the dish that it goes in.  You can always add salt, but you can't take it away.

• jls9595
    Options
    well...I added salt already. salty stock I guess.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Pendejo
    Options
    @jls9595  You will make many, many batches of chicken (and beef and shrimp) stock once you realize how much better it is than store bought.  Take these suggestions for what they are, and come up with your own formula.

One suggestion that hasn't been mentioned is to roast the bones in the oven for an hour or so, especially with beef.  It gives the stock more complexity.
  • jls9595
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions. I have bookmarked for the next time.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Pendejo said:

One suggestion that hasn't been mentioned is to roast the bones in the oven for an hour or so, especially with beef.  It gives the stock more complexity.
    Yep, this.  If you are starting with raw chicken carcass, definitely roast before making the stock.  Also, leeks are another good vegetable to add to make stock.  And whole peppercorns.

I just spatchcocked a chicken to make gumbo.  I threw the backbone on the grill with the chicken.  Pulled most of the meat off of the cooked chicken then made stock out of the backbone and carcass.  Came out great!!
    NOLA
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    Y'all are doing it the hard way. Take your chicken bones from a spatchcocked bird, cover with water, ad veggies and whatever, and park the sucker in a 225* oven all night long. Come back the next day to no hassle stock.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    hapster said:
    For my chicken stock that I turn into soups... Carrots, celery, onion, parsley, sea salt, pepper and one flat of chicken quarters. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for a few hours. Remove the chicken and the remove as much fat as you can off the surface. Chill it overnight is the easiest way…
    Same method, except I use a pressure cooker, also helps if you snap some bones with a cleaver.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    stantrb said:
    Y'all are doing it the hard way. Take your chicken bones from a spatchcocked bird, cover with water, ad veggies and whatever, and park the sucker in a 225* oven all night long. Come back the next day to no hassle stock.
    Our method is somewhat similar but we don't use any fuel all night long ... after boiling/simmering through for 10-15 minutes, we stick it in a Thermos pot (see link below), temperature is still well above the >140F safety zone even after 5, 6 or 7 hours of standing; we can reboil at any convenient time and let it stand further if desired.  no fuel, no babysitting, no boil over, no hogging of stove.
    canuckland
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    @Canugghead: do you get good collagen extraction at that low heat? Are the bones brittle when you strain the next day?
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Yup, after chilling the stock gels.  Usually reboil at 4-5 hour mark when temp is still in the 180+ range (it's almost like making stock/soup sous vide way!). Bones get brittle after 2 or 3 reboils but for soup we don't go that long.
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Boyz, yer all talking about broth. Broth is mainly meat, stock is mainly bones. Roast them bones and mirepoix.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Options
    Steve, I'm talking about the boil/simmer stage only.... whether it's soup, broth or stock, roast or no roast, w/ or w/o mirepoix, they all go through boil/simmer, no?  :-/ 
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    stantrb said:
    @Canugghead: do you get good collagen extraction at that low heat? Are the bones brittle when you strain the next day?

I tried Alton Brown's recipe once, he stated that pores in the bones will close off if boiled hard, but if simmered gently the bones would leach collagen through those pores.
    I didn't quite believe it, but tried it once, pot full of raw wings lightly simmered for 8 hours + aromatics.  After straining and chilling in the frig overnight, like Canugghead said, it was completely gelatinized!  And delicious!  
    Oh yeah, the bones snapped like spaghetti, as on Alton's show.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Canugghead
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Botch said:
    stantrb said:

I tried Alton Brown's recipe once, he stated that pores in the bones will close off if boiled hard, but if simmered gently the bones would leach collagen through those pores.
    I didn't quite believe it, but tried it once, pot full of raw wings lightly simmered for 8 hours + aromatics.  After straining and chilling in the frig overnight, like Canugghead said, it was completely gelatinized!  And delicious!  
    Oh yeah, the bones snapped like spaghetti, as on Alton's show.  
    Good point, I forgot to mention the following .... 
    1) when using roasted bones, leftover carcass or ham bones, we start with boiled water from the kettle
    2) when using raw bones/meat, we start with cold water on low heat and let it gently come up to low boil

canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Steve, I'm talking about the boil/simmer stage only.... whether it's soup, broth or stock, roast or no roast, w/ or w/o mirepoix, they all go through boil/simmer, no?  :-/ 
    You don't boil stock or broth. You simmer. It turns cloudy if you boil it. How bout them leafs eh?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Options
    Thanks for the education, good to know  :\">   Was watching Olympics.
    canuckland