Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter Question

Options
sbunker
sbunker Posts: 39
I will be smoking 15 lbs of pork butt tonight. Its been marinating since last night in rub and mustard. I was always under the impression that the plate setter is to be installed when I light the coals so that it rises at the same temp as the egg. Now I see other posts where people get the fire and temp right and then put the plate setter in. Thermal Shock? It sure would be a lot easier to do it after I have the fire where I want it. Thoughts? 

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I put the PS in when I close the dome after there are a few coals burning. No issues here in 7yrs

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    You can wait to put it in, but you'll see the dome temp drop a bit. Don't panic and start fiddling with the vents. Just wait and the whole thing will come back up to temp eventually.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    put the platesetter in when you light the lump but put it in legs down, plate up.  this way, it minimizes interference with air circulation in the firebox as the lump comes to temp.  Then, flip over when putting the meat on.  quickest way to stable cooking temps on long cooks. 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I start my fire with the electric starter.  Once the fire takes hold I remove the electric starter and put in the platesetter.  I think that if you are only bringing the egg to 250 that the platesetter could go in after it stabilizes but I figure why take the chance.   
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    I did a cook last night and put the platesetter in at the start. I'm still learning but I think this caused it to take longer to get up to temp. But it could also be I didn't have enough lump. Or both.
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I start with Starter cubes, let cubes burn out so fire is going then put setter in and drip pan. It comes up to temp pretty fast
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • calracefan
    Options
    Put in at the start, let it increase in temp with the rest of the egg. I don't think it takes any longer than if you wait and through the cold hunk of ceramic in and watch your temp fall. Just my opinion !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Never noticed a real difference for low and slows. After all the cooks done, I know the vent settings and like @jhl192 once the electric starter comes out, the set-up goes in, setter, spacers, drip pan cooking grid and grid level pit probe. 
    The air flow is so little there is no effect by the setter being in place. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • sbunker
    sbunker Posts: 39
    Options

Thanks,

I guess it doesn't matter. I know exactly where the vents need to go for this cook so I don't have to worry about that. I can sent them as soon as the lump is started and going and just wait before I put the food in.

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I have a XL and use a electric starter for 8/9 minutes with a full load of lump then pull the starter and stir the coals to where I want them with the vents wide open an no DW and put the plate setter in legs up and check in 10 minutes and start adjusting for the cook I'm doing.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE