Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

YOUR Worst Egg Cook

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    the absolute worst thing ive ever egged was corned beef ribs, was thinking it would be more like a pastrami on a rib bone, was saltier than a salt lick. only thing ive ever trashed

I'd like a better look at that bunmei. Your pic makes it look like a black Damascus?

its not dmascus but its got a rockwell around 63/64, big 3/4 inch tapered single bevel with the back side fully hollowed out, i bet the total bevel is less than 5 degrees.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    the absolute worst thing ive ever egged was corned beef ribs, was thinking it would be more like a pastrami on a rib bone, was saltier than a salt lick. only thing ive ever trashed

I'd like a better look at that bunmei. Your pic makes it look like a black Damascus?

its not dmascus but its got a rockwell around 63/64, big 3/4 inch tapered single bevel with the back side fully hollowed out, i bet the total bevel is less than 5 degrees.

Nice beer. 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Mickey - that was rough!
    Cookin in Texas
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    I may give it another go, I need more time to get over that smell. Badly scorched milk and pork will haunt your dreams for a while lol.
    henapple said:
    My first steak, brisket, pizza and burgers. 3 days in had some serious buyer's remorse. Honestly if it hadn't been for this forum and all the help I'd probably gotten rid of it. @jls9595...try that cochon again. I'd urge everyone with an epic fail to post it, get some feedback, weigh the comments and try again.

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I love this thread!!!!! 

I haven't had a total loss cook yet, but the first time I did steak I put them on way too early and they had a very strong smokey chemical taste. I realize now that I didn't wait long enough for the lump to burn down. 

We still ate them. For a short while I was thinking that I should probably just sell it for whatever I could get for it, but I kept trying and now I wouldn't take three times what I paid for it. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • My worst was just the other night. I did a spatchcock chicken which turned out great. I thought I'd put some veggies in the grill basket and let the chicken's juices drip down over the veggies. I got busy with doing things with the kids and burnt the veggies. The broccoli was burnt and the carrots and celery were burnt and undercooked all at the same time.
    I've also had some bad pizzas in the first few months with the egg. Two years late I finally have pizzas down.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • My first attempt at home made pizza dough stuck to the peel and plopped onto the stone.  I said WTF, and we had a plop calzone that night.
    Wife said it was one of the better.......whatevers she has had.
    Last cook, she said nothing bad has come off the egg.
    The pizza plop still gets to me.
    Matt Hamm
    Eggin' in Alabama
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    My worst was the first time I cooked burgers. First I didn't let the nasty smoke clear out and second I kept peeking and was wondering why the temp kept creeping up. They ended up being a little charred and tasted like crap.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Mine is without a doubt my first attempt at pizza.  Between the pizza sticking to the peel and causing a huge mess, to using my old platesetter that had a bunch of grease on it that caused way too much smoke during the cook at high temps.  The sliced mozzarella on top of the pizza turned gray from the smoke! It was a disgusting pizza that didn't even look appealing.

It only took this one fail.  After going through that and making some changes, I nailed my next one the following weekend. It's only as a result of this failure do my pizza's turn out as good as they do now.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    fishlessman NICE!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    My worst fail was the crust of a pizza sticking to my peel on my first pizza cook.  Felt pretty good and decided to do the slide-the-pizza-off-the-peel-by-jerking-it-out-from-under-the-pizza move...

... took me two clean burns to get off the toppings that slid off the crust and onto the pizza stone...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Chicken breasts cooked over cowboy lump on the mini....tasted like petroleum and chemicals from the crappy lump and the food being close to the lump.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited January 2014
    Gotta be the one where I had no recall of cooking or eating ABT's til I got the reminder the next day.  It was a very "dark and stormy night"! :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Ohhhhh -- I forgot about the experiment with roasting a whole head of cauliflower.  Sure will absorb a lot of smoke.

Cookin in Texas
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @jls9595...If your Ci ever gets too hot just pull it off. Sometimes if im going yo have the lid open for a while (paella) I'll close the bottom vent to 1/4 inch. If you nail that cook your friends and family will lift you on their shoulders and carry you around the house.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    The first Winter I had the egg, we hosted my wife's family for Christmas. We had just bought our house and funds were a little tight. We had a bunch of meat in the freezer and I convinced my wife that we could just smoke some of our chuck roasts for Christmas dinner instead of spending a bunch of money on meat. I had not discovered this forum yet.

This was my first attempt at smoking anything. I tried to go 225 (dome temp) and spent hours trying to get/keep it stable (over adjusting and chasing it). I think I had the dome open more than I had it closed during the cook because I felt the need to constantly check progress. After 8-9 hrs I had to pull them for dinner. Bone dry, jerky-style chuck roast that was too tough to slice or pull or eat in any other fashion.

The scene was much like the Christmas Vacation turkey. Dinner was pretty quiet except for "please pass the bbq sauce...."

My other greatest fail was when I thought I should try bacon wrapped asparagus after I had been drinking/egging all day. When I took them off, they resembled twigs from my back yard.  I ate em anyway.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • My big fail was eggplant. Cooked it raised direct an it absorbed way too much smoke.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I got liquored up and cooked Egrets chili. The next morning I found all the spice ingredients in a bowl on the bottom shelf on the table.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    henapple said:
    @jls9595...If your Ci ever gets too hot just pull it off. Sometimes if im going yo have the lid open for a while (paella) I'll close the bottom vent to 1/4 inch. If you nail that cook your friends and family will lift you on their shoulders and carry you around the house.
    I will give it another go then, I'd love to have my family carry me around the house, sounds like fun :)) Thanks for the tip on the bottom vent, good info.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • My wife loves burnt ends...decided to try to create them once from a chuck roast...hard as rocks...had Chinese takeout that night...oh and my first pizza I was in a hurry so bought a papa Murphy's and didn't let the stone get hot enough..stuck something aweful...total bust
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Some smoked Whitefish that you could have used the fillets as a Frisbee.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    I nuked a set of ribs - burned to a crisp.
    I did the same thing.  Tried to turbo a set of babybacks while watching football.  Thought the egg was stable at 325.  Got wrapped up in the game.  When I went to foil the ribs the egg was at 550 and the ribs were crispy.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Ribs, forgot to cook indirect and burnt the bottom side.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    My first cook.  I did a spatchcock chicken in rainy weather for guests without letting the charcoal burn off the VOC's.  Tasted very bad.  Fortunately, subsequent cooks have rectified the situation.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Attempt at smoking some kingfish. Went right in the trash. Now has become a joke with my friends when I experiment that as long as it's not even remotely close to the kingfish then it's edible.
    Dunedin, FL
  • bboulier said:

My first cook.  I did a spatchcock chicken in rainy weather for guests without letting the charcoal burn off the VOC's.  Tasted very bad.  Fortunately, subsequent cooks have rectified the situation.

@bboulier - Are you related to the egg dealer "Boulier's" in Royal Oak, Michigan? Just curious. I love shopping there.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    First pizza - from Costco.  I hadn't yet figured out the "keep the air holes on the charcoal grate open" thing.  Two hours later, the egg was only about 300 degrees.  It ultimately tasted OK but it was very, very late and did not impress my wife or friends.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    First cook with brand new XL was burgers and I must have put them on before the smoke cleared because they tasted like burnt ash. I nearly cried. My 86 year dad loved them but he always requests his food burnt. That's a story for another post.
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Messed up the calibration on my dome thermometer and didn't realize it, went to smoke some wings @ 250 for two hours which is usually fool proof.  After two hours wings were like coal, checked thermometer and it was off 125 degrees.
    Edina, MN

• fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    We do all our nephews and nieces graduations parties at our house. This past year, 2013, we did my nephews. Pulled pork, easy. We'll did 7 shoulders on an XL, forgot the drip pan and during the middle of the night had a giant grease fire. Party started at 11, found out at 7 about the issue. Went to every Wegmans in a 30 mile radius to buy pulled pork.