Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a cook idea for this weekend possibly - Easy

2»

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Pepper Ale Beef.  No normal BBQ flavors, lots of unattended time on the egg.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1146803/pepper-ale-beef

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    Marinate chicken leg quarters & or breasts in lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, chopped garlic and copious amounts of rosemary for a couple of hours. Cook indirect at 300-325 for about an hour or so. Don't put any wood in the fire box.

I make a lemon, evoo and parsley drizzle to go with it and serve with roasted new potatoes and asparagus (also egged).

Big hit at my house. Cheap, easy and really packed full of flavor.
  • I agree with the ham suggestions.  No fuss, easy cook.  I did Mickeys Naked Ham a few weeks ago and it turned out excellent.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Wangs??
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    RLeeper said:

Wangs??

Beef Pizzle can be quite hard.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Wangs??
    That works on two levels!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Wangs??
    That works on two levels!

Dang it! 
    That was a topic that I did not need to know about. 
    [-X
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Getting a heat wave for one day here in NY - Supposed to hit 65 but raining.  I'll take the heat and try to have a cigar while holding an umbrella.

Now to just get a few hours for a cook and I am all set.  Still trying to decide what to cook if time allows and if I buy something what can I freeze that can be defrosted to cook again as I hate frozen meats - even when vacu-sealed.  They never taste the same as when they are fresh. 

I like the ham idea but we are having it on Wednesday (Xmas) so that's out for this weekend. 

This looks interesting - faux coshon de lait - but no idea on what it would taste like.

Lamb shank idea looks great too - again never had it

The pepper ale beef is a good idea as well - again dont know what it will taste like.  I like beer and I like sausage and Peppers but I do not know how beef and peppers would taste buried in cooked beer.  May be worth a try if nothing else comes up like hot dogs.

I have a list of spring/summer cooks that I want to try but I need time and warmth to try them.

All vegetable lasagna (no noodles) - Grilling all veggies on the Egg then layering with cheese
    Wok - I have to learn how to use it or sell it.
    Paella

Things that need overnights or more than a few hours
    Pork butts
    briskets
    ribs (need to find a different way)

Thanks for the ideas.

Garnerville, NY
  • Lamb shanks are amazing but you should check with your guests to make sure they will eat it. A lot of people won't or can't eat lamb. Here are some shanks I did in a tajine but dutch oven would produce the same results.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1156858/my-lamb-shanks-from-yesterday

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• robnybbq
    its me, the wife and maybe one of the young kids.

Garnerville, NY

• robnybbq said:
    The pepper ale beef is a good idea as well - again dont know what it will taste like.  I like beer and I like sausage and Peppers but I do not know how beef and peppers would taste buried in cooked beer. 
    It tastes like deliciousness!!!! Give it a shot
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    robnybbq said:
    its me, the wife and maybe one of the young kids.
    with the lamb braise, if some dont like it you can add other meats to the braise, i think this was lamb, veal, and beef short ribs and you would just cook it as in little stevens recipe, everyone will find something they like in this dish

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    As the weekend is almost here Sunday looks like it may be a Egg day in the rain but 65 degrees.

Still not sure which masterpiece to try.

The local Fairway has Angus Rib Roasts on sale for $4.99/lb (Min $75 purchase).  Their Prime Roasts are $14.99/lb.  What's the main difference besides price?  If I go the Angus roast route - how can I make it taste great,  In the past when trying "Prime" rib roasts they came out ok but not WOW.  I used salt/pepper and fresh thyme.  Cooked to 130, retsed for 20 min then cut servers.  Lacked allot of flavor. 

Garnerville, NY
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited December 2013
     Set the egg to 325 and Throw a whole chicken on and be done with it.
    1 and a half hours and your done. I think the easyist cook on the egg
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Meatloaf and veg or sausage pepper and onion
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • robnybbq
    Heading to the store in a few minutes. Going to pass on the rib roast. Well see what they have. Want to cook a 4-5 hour cook as it is warm out today.

Maybe short ribs - will have to research how to make them.

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/11/braised-short-ribs-heaven-on-a-plate/

This. Uncovered on the egg at least 3 hours until fork tender. Save the extra sauce for Xmas prime rib.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• robnybbq
    Well pepper stout beef it will be. Got a just I've 3 lb chuck roast.

Got the egg lit (what a mess inside - lots of condensation, grease, turkey drippings all over. The lump that was in there was covered and soft/moist). Going to let it heat up and roast for an hour before adding he meat.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Yummy

Garnerville, NY