Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long can a raw brisket sit in the fridge?

A week??

XLBGE 

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    In or out of a cryo? In a cryo you could go up to like a month and you basically be just wet aging it. Out of a cryo just wrapped I would say a week at minimum
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    In or out of the cryowrap, it'll wet or dry age and that can be done for many weeks.  I had one in  my fridge for 6 weeks in the cryo and it smelled the same as a fresh brisket. 

In or out of the cryowrap, it'll wet or dry age and that can be done for many weeks.  I had one in  my fridge for 6 weeks in the cryo and it smelled the same as a fresh brisket. 

What hole did you crawl out of? It's been a while you better have some sweet mad scientist stuff for us!
  • 117 days 10 hours and thirty five minutes....roughly

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    117 days 10 hours and thirty five minutes....roughly

Don't listen to him.  He's just an idea guy.  He's no good with logistics.

With that being said, I have no idea how to answer your question.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited December 2013
    I've done a cryo pack one for over two weeks more than once.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Sounds good. I'm doing one for our family Christmas next Friday night but have to work the next 7 days so will have to pick it up a good bit before than. I want to do one from the butcher not a cryo one.

XLBGE 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    So you want the butcher to take the cryo off and double the price and shorten how long it will last?
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I've got one in the fridge now (6lb flat in cryo) that says on the costco printed label
    pack date: 12/4/13
    sell by: 12/11/13

I think I bought it early last week.  I'm hoping to smoke (turbo) it the weekend after xmas.  Either that, or toss it :(
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Its a sell by date, not an expiry date. Judging by what folks are saying here, it should be fine in the cryovac. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    That's what I figured...it's just wet aging, which apparently can go for several weeks.  I've got it in the back of the fridge, near the freezer vent...so I figure it's probably the coldest part.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Lit said:
    So you want the butcher to take the cryo off and double the price and shorten how long it will last?
    My butcher provides a similar service with frozen shrimp.  He will defrost them for you in the display case and double the price.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Does this hold true for ribs as well? I've got a pack of 3 from Sam's Club that I thought I would have smoked by now...probably 10 days in the fridge, still in wrap, probably just need to put them in the freezer.
  • Does this hold true for ribs as well? I've got a pack of 3 from Sam's Club that I thought I would have smoked by now...probably 10 days in the fridge, still in wrap, probably just need to put them in the freezer.

If they are in cryo then yes. But be prepared for a funky smell when you crack it. It will go away in 10-15 min. This has been discussed on here to death so if you are spooked by stinky meat that stops stinking after 10-15 don't eat it. Just buy it from the meat counter where they took it out of the cryo and let the stink dissipate before putting it out for sale :))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Lit said:

Sucks to be you guys! My butcher gets them directly from the mooing animals out back.
  • Lit said:

Sucks to be you guys! My butcher gets them directly from the mooing animals out back.
    I'm just assuming my butcher does too, everything else I've bought from him is fresh cut when you order. Maybe I should call and make sure. Can go to Kroger for a cryo one.

I'm either buy from butcher tomorrow or cryo at Kroger on Sunday. Smoke Thursday night for Friday.

XLBGE 
  • Lit
    A friend of mine always goes to the same butcher and one day I went with him. He took us in the back and showed us how to seperste a tri tip off the sirloin and he peeled some skirts for us and started talking about how butchers had changed. He said something happened around 2000 where butchers that want to process full animals have to pass really tough standards and have their doors open at all times for inspection. He said 99% of butchers now just break down primals since there's so much red tape to jump through the other way. I watched the butcher break open excel brand primals and make cuts for customers. They could have went to Sams and got the same primals and cut them themselves for half the price or less. There are farms around I have checked into where you can buy from but the prices are ridiculous and I have a restaurant depot card so I get choice black angus brisket for about $2.25 a pound and they are better than the ones I have gotten from the local butchers.
  • Lit said:

A friend of mine always goes to the same butcher and one day I went with him. He took us in the back and showed us how to seperste a tri tip off the sirloin and he peeled some skirts for us and started talking about how butchers had changed. He said something happened around 2000 where butchers that want to process full animals have to pass really tough standards and have their doors open at all times for inspection. He said 99% of butchers now just break down primals since there's so much red tape to jump through the other way. I watched the butcher break open excel brand primals and make cuts for customers. They could have went to Sams and got the same primals and cut them themselves for half the price or less. There are farms around I have checked into where you can buy from but the prices are ridiculous and I have a restaurant depot card so I get choice black angus brisket for about $2.25 a pound and they are better than the ones I have gotten from the local butchers.

Uh oh. I'm pretty sure I've been hosed than.

XLBGE 
  • Lit
    @smokeypitt I watched this butcher take a box of frozen sausages from Patak meats out of his freezer and put them in his case. At Patak all the sausages are like $2.50 a pound and if you are buying boxes even cheaper and his price was $5.99 a pound. Have you ever been to Patak?
  • Eggcelsior
    Lit said:

True true. My butcher is also slaughterhouse that sells choice and prime beef. They process 100 cattle for distribution in the mid-atlantic and northeast per day. USDA inspector on site daily.
  • Lit
    Wish I could find something like that around here. Everything I have found comparable here in GA the prices are so high I could have snake river farms wagyu overnighted for cheaper.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Lit said:
    @smokeypitt I watched this butcher take a box of frozen sausages from Patak meats out of his freezer and put them in his case. At Patak all the sausages are like $2.50 a pound and if you are buying boxes even cheaper and his price was $5.99 a pound. Have you ever been to Patak?
    I have not been to Patak.  I have heard it recommended a few times and have it bookmarked...but haven't made it by.  Not too much of a haul...about 39 minutes from me. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Lit
    The only bad thing about Patak is they are only open during the week.
  • @Lit

Well thank you for the tip my man. I was about to spend almost double for the exact same brisket Walmart sales. Called the butcher asked him to cut me a 13ish pound brisket and what grade did they have. He said they only had vacuum sealed choice but I could pick my size out!!

:-?

XLBGE 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

Lit said:

True true. My butcher is also slaughterhouse that sells choice and prime beef. They process 100 cattle for distribution in the mid-atlantic and northeast per day. USDA inspector on site daily.
    Is that out in Frederick? I remember you mentioning one closer to Baltimore, but I've apparently killed those brain cells.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eggcelsior
    @ACN, JW Trueth and Sons near Catonsville.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

@ACN, JW Trueth and Sons near Catonsville.

Thanks! I bookmarked their website this time so I don't forget.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Thanks for the heads up about JW Trueth.  It's a bit closer than having to go out to Mt. Airy.

Reisterstown, MD

LBGE

Reisterstown, MD