Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear flame ?

So I did a reverse sear prime rib Saturday and everyone thought it was really good except the mother in-law who apparently doesn't like smoke flavor at all even though I didn't use any wood just the lump overdid it for her:(

My issue is that after the low cook too 120 I crank the egg to 500 or so for the sear but when i open the dome its flaming like crazy almost touching the dome itself.Then it continues to flame even worse once the roast is put on??? In pics of other reverse sears i've seen on here many have settled fires of glowing lump to do the sear over...how do you control a flaming egg for a sear?? My dome is closed for the sear but the fire seems outta control all the same?

Jamie.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Winter has arrived in NL!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    It's definitely going to flare-up from dripping fat while searing. Do the flames die down after looking lifting the dome? Perhaps it's just the sudden influx of oxygen-rich air.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    if it is flaming out of control with the dome closed, reduce the airflow buy either putting the DW on (even fully open it is restrictive and will slow down the fire) or partially close the bottom vent. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Ragtop99 said:
    if it is flaming out of control with the dome closed, reduce the airflow buy either putting the DW on (even fully open it is restrictive and will slow down the fire) or partially close the bottom vent. 
    And open them back up before you open it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Assume low cook was at around 250º, indirect. Was the lump new or did it possibly have some drippings from a previous cook?
    If there are still flames even though the dome thermo says 500, it might not be ready. After a low cook, if you remove the roast and crack open the vents the egg will hit 500º in a minute or two, maybe even less - that does not mean you have a stable 500º egg, it just means the dome thermo exposed to direct burning lump is reading 500º. 
    Tent the roast, keep it warm and let the egg stabilize like a pizza cook. When you open the dome it might flare, but the flames will be gone when you drop the roast on. Like LS says, open the vents a bit before opening the dome. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Assume low cook was at around 250º, indirect. Was the lump new or did it possibly have some drippings from a previous cook?
    If there are still flames even though the dome thermo says 500, it might not be ready. After a low cook, if you remove the roast and crack open the vents the egg will hit 500º in a minute or two, maybe even less - that does not mean you have a stable 500º egg, it just means the dome thermo exposed to direct burning lump is reading 500º. 
    Tent the roast, keep it warm and let the egg stabilize like a pizza cook. When you open the dome it might flare, but the flames will be gone when you drop the roast on. Like LS says, open the vents a bit before opening the dome. 
    Thanks for the help guys I never realized we should stabilize a fire a second time when changing from a low to high temp for a sear.

• Assume low cook was at around 250º, indirect. Was the lump new or did it possibly have some drippings from a previous cook?

Thanks for the help guys I never realized we should stabilize a fire a second time when changing from a low to high temp for a sear.

Ha! I've been doing reverse sear a bunch and never stabilized the egg for the direct part of the cook. I just take the DFMT off and open the bottom vent and let her rip!
    I will try to stabilize it the next time and see how it works. I do like this idea better than my give it heck method.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Ha! I've been doing reverse sear a bunch and never stabilized the egg for the direct part of the cook. I just take the DFMT off and open the bottom vent and let her rip! I will try to stabilize it the next time and see how it works. I do like this idea better than my give it heck method.
    I've done all my searing that way too.  Warp speed, Mr. Scott...
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    There was another thread on here detailing the cook of a herb crusted prime rib.  I cannot find it, and I have been trying for 30 minutes.

At any rate the recommendation was to do the low and slow on the Egg, and transfer the prime rib immediately to a 500 deg oven for 6 minutes, then rest, slice, and serve.  The writer stated that the oven was simply the best tool for this part of the cook, and avoided the challenge of getting the egg to the proper temp. in the proper time.  Makes sense to me.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Steaks don't need a stable egg, they are only on for short time so any high heat will do. A roast needs a gentler touch, IMO, get the egg to stabilize a bit, then sear. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!