Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket 101: Why you always measure in the flat

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,967
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum
I measured this brisket in the thinnest part of the flat to prove the point (no pun) but you should always measure for doneness in the thickest part.

As you can see, this brisket is 25 degrees cooler in the thinnest part. It defies logic as the thick part should cook slower. I'm sure that could be very confusing for some people and it was for me for quite a while.

The fact is, the point is much thicker but it has a much higher fat content. Fat cooks much faster than muscle so obviously reads at a higher temp earlier than the flat. Mine is stalled out so it's even more obvious. They will start to creep closer together as it comes out of the stall but the point will always be done sooner and read higher than the flat.

So, stick a probe in the thickest part of the flat and ignore all other readings until the flat is like butter (190-200 usually)

imageimage
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    I got the go ahead to cook a brisket on Christmas Eve when the wife's family comes over for dinner. I've never done one before on any type of cooker. Needless to say, I'm gonna need some help from the resident brisket king. Starting with how to pick a good one all the way through the cook. Hell I may need to have you on speed dial. LOL

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• plumbfir01
    Options

shtgunal3 said:
    I got the go ahead to cook a brisket on Christmas Eve when the wife's family comes over for dinner. I've never done one before on any type of cooker. Needless to say, I'm gonna need some help from the resident brisket king. Starting with how to pick a good one all the way through the cook. Hell I may need to have you on speed dial. LOL
    um....maybe you should precook one.. practice run with beer  :D
    Beaufort, SC
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited December 2013
    Options
    That's why I use the Travisstrick method! 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it/p7
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Hey Centex, I'm in need of some 101 -

My last brisket I let ride too long, and the flat was overcooked.  There was one place on the brisket where the temp was low, and the probe didn't go in like butter.  Just this one small section had me leave the beast on for an additional 3 or 4 hours. I guess I should ignore that one spot, assume the FTC will carry it through?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    @plumbfir01 there will definitely be beer involved.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,967
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Hey Centex, I'm in need of some 101 -

My last brisket I let ride too long, and the flat was overcooked.  There was one place on the brisket where the temp was low, and the probe didn't go in like butter.  Just this one small section had me leave the beast on for an additional 3 or 4 hours. I guess I should ignore that one spot, assume the FTC will carry it through?
    Yeah- I would just trust the thickest part of the the flat and the FTC definitely cures most ills when it comes to tenderness. I've gotten to the point where If I know I'm going to FTC. I pull it at 195 no matter what. It usually goes up to 205 or so in the cooler before it levels off. I've also found that letting it cool until it's easy to handle with bare hands before slicing really helps the texture too. 

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Many thanks! Will be on my next brisket :)
    (removed accidental disagree)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This brisket sucked arse. I had one bite and then just ate TFJ's awesome twice bakers. It was a cheap (er) select brisket after looking all over town for a better brisket for 2 days.  This will be the last select brisket I ever cook. It was $35 cheaper than the whole foods brisket  I found of the same weight but in the end, I had one bite and chopped up the rest for the kids. I thought I could take a bad brisket and make it work.......I couldn't and I won't try again. From now on, when I can't find a good brisket, I'll just cook something else. This was my worst effort in years (and of course it was all the brisket's fault :))
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Next time text me and I'll walk you through it. =)) =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    henapple said:

Next time text me and I'll walk you through it. =)) =))

If I cook another one like this I will ;).

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You set the bar damn high
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    This brisket sucked arse. 
    What was wrong with it?  Tough?

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lakewade said:
    This brisket sucked arse. 
    What was wrong with it?  Tough?

Tough, dry, and flavorless. Hope you had better luck than me.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options

@Cen_Tex-you may have to go over to the dark side..."Travis' Method". 

:)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Coletrain
    Coletrain Posts: 30
    edited December 2013
    Options
    After cooking over 1,000's of briskest I have had virtually everything that could go wrong with one, go wrong. That being said, the quality of beef is super important. I used choice C.A.B. I wet age it for 7-10 days. I always use the same rub. This way when something goes wrong I know it's not the meat. Try to take out as many variables as possible.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I think the problem is that Cen-Tex just doesn't know how to cook a brisket. The one he brought to Salado was probably from Lockhart.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Another vote for you should practice first.  Just because you are brave doesn't mean your ready.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• shtgunal3
    Options
    I've done a lot of stuff that wasn't quite ready for. :D