Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Chamber Sealer

Comments

• Steve-

So does this thing provide an anaerobic seal? If so, (I'm sure you know) but you have to be super careful to follow the rapid cooling technique when SV cooking. Botulinum toxin only grows in anaerobic environments. That is what everyone was freaking out about when SV cooking became popular in restaurants here in the US.

I'm not that strict about it with the food saver since it's not anaerobic but I would be vigilant if it was.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Very impressive toy.  Do you have a link?

Joan,

This is a video of the next model down. It had a plastic cover and I didn't like the way it was hinged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQlGYQ9y0sU

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2013
    Steve-

So does this thing provide an anaerobic seal? If so, (I'm sure you know) but you have to be super careful to follow the rapid cooling technique when SV cooking. Botulinum toxin only grows in anaerobic environments. That is what everyone was freaking out about when SV cooking became popular in restaurants here in the US.

I'm not that strict about it with the food saver since it's not anaerobic but I would be vigilant if it was.

I believe it does. Nothing is sucked out of the bag, the chamber is de-pressurized and the seal occurs after depressurization.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Steve-

I believe it does. Nothing is sucked out of the bag, the chamber is de-pressurized and the seal occurs after depressurization.
    careful there.......that's where the stuff that can actually kill you grow. Odorless and tasteless. No sign of contamination whatsoever.

SV to ice bath if you aren't eating right away.

You probably just cost me $900. i hate you

Merry Christmas,

Centex

• I misunderstood your question. I understand the rapid cooling. For $900 US you can get the 215 which has an oil cooled pump and ball bearings. You probably won't pay 13% in tax either. It's me that should hate you. This is one purchase I have no buyer's remorse about. One feature to look for is an angled tray in the chamber. This one has a flat tray and uses a clip to prevent spillage. I would have preferred the angle tray.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• How many counters do you have in your place??
  • Not enough!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sweet and wicked man. Is that VP115?  Can you use regular Foodsaver bags/rolls in it?

This place seems to have the best prices on the interweb.  Being in canuckistan, I won't be surprised if VP115 costs more than VP215 from this site:

Yes you can but you need the foodsaver to make the bags. This is limited to an 11 x 14" bag I think so I'll still need the foodsaver for doing whole fish, flap, hanger and skirt steaks.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• LS, way too cool. Very nice purchase. How the heck are you? Hope all is well. 
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • Good man where have you been?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Crazy busy. I do manage to get one cook in a week though. The last time I was on the forum I saw your lobster bisque. Jesus man! Where are you hiding that game? I think Marco was taking some notes. 

^:)^
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • I misunderstood your question. I understand the rapid cooling. For $900 US you can get the 215 which has an oil cooled pump and ball bearings. You probably won't pay 13% in tax either. It's me that should hate you. This is one purchase I have no buyer's remorse about. One feature to look for is an angled tray in the chamber. This one has a flat tray and uses a clip to prevent spillage. I would have preferred the angle tray.
    I was just talking it up to Janell in the car. I just bought a slicer today and thought she might give me the skunk eye........she said "that sounds awesome"!

She is good woman.

• I didn't mention, these bad boys are heavy. Nothing you are going to move into a cupboard easily. Personally, if I were you, I would buy a stand alone pro unit and put it in the work kitchen your household staff uses at the Casa di CT

Steve 

Caledon, ON

I was just talking it up to Janell in the car. I just bought a slicer today and thought she might give me the skunk eye........she said "that sounds awesome"!

She is good woman.

Which brand slicer did you buy?  Show LS toy to Lloyd and he didn't bat an eye at the price....We married good didn't we.  If the sun comes out may come over for the lump...right now i am not moving from in front of the fireplace.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I hate all of you. I explained my SV idea to SWMBO and she was all "you know I carry a gun, right?"
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Eggcelsior - but you know how to sneak a bowel prep into her sangria...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    caliking said:

@Eggcelsior - but you know how to sneak a bowel prep into her sangria...

Movi-prep FTW

She is good woman.

If I can figure out how to make a video and post it I'll do it tomorrow. The last part is kind of a blast.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

She is good woman.

Which brand slicer did you buy?  Show LS toy to Lloyd and he didn't bat an eye at the price....We married good didn't we.  If the sun comes out may come over for the lump...right now i am not moving from in front of the fireplace.  

I bought this little Globe Chef Mate 9". The guy bought it and put a new blade, new belt, and new sharpening stones on it then never used it. I paid $175 for it. They are $700 new and this one is perfect and basically rebuilt. Perfect size for home use. That other one I bought was twice this size and 75 lbs. I wish it had a little longer food chute for bacon but I can make it work.

I can meet you out for the lump if you want. I'll be over in bee cave and sunset valley tomorrow. Going to CM some time tomorrow mid morning too.

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034

Dude!!!

You have all the toys ^:)^

Gonna have to take me shopping again

I will even buy lunch

B-)
  • Hey Buddy! I'll buy but haven't found another place that compares with Sassik's. Couple that are close but not the real deal. Gimme a shout anytime!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Congrats! You will like it.

edited December 2013
    @C-Tex Just googled the C9...you got a sweet deal.  We will be home (in and out) call on the iPhone and we will meet somewhere in the hood.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Eggcelsior

@C-Tex Just googled the C9...you got a sweet deal.  We will be home (in and out) call on the iPhone and we will meet somewhere in the hood.

The hood? Cen-Tex be rollin' on 20`s so just listen for the bass drop.
  • @C-Tex Just googled the C9...you got a sweet deal.  We will be home (in and out) call on the iPhone and we will meet somewhere in the hood.

I thought so. Seems to be in great shape so i'm happy. Bought it from a great dude too. Nice older gent that was really proud of what he put in to it. I'll give you a shout when I get mobile tomorrow.
  • @C-Tex Just googled the C9...you got a sweet deal.  We will be home (in and out) call on the iPhone and we will meet somewhere in the hood.
    The hood? Cen-Tex be rollin' on 20`s so just listen for the bass drop.

Centex only rolls with the double deuce (22's) so don't be sellin me short beeeyatch
  • Eggcelsior
    I'm so sorry. I forgot about the south and there size differences. We're not in the LBC anymore.

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Steve-

Don't all vacuum sealers do this. Vacuum packaging removes a high percentage of air (which is 21% oxygen). This slows the growth of most living microorganisms, which degrade food, such as aerobic bacteria and molds. However, some forms of bacteria, such as clostridium botulinum (responsible for botulism), are anaerobic and grow in the absence of oxygen. Found that in the vp manual so I just assumed all vacuum sealers remove oxygen and therefore have the same risk if food isn't handled properly. Thoughts?
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited December 2013

This thing is wicked. Sealed a bunch of chicken breasts, half a ham, four packs of veal wieners and some Andouille. I sealed water and olive oil just to make sure I could.photo 002-14.jpg

photo 001-9.jpg

How large of roast do you think you can seal. It appears to be a very shallow chamber is why I ask so wasn't sure about a nice standing rib roast. Looks very nice. Does it feel 58# heavy? That think must be built like a tank.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited December 2013
    4Runner said:
    Steve-

Don't all vacuum sealers do this. Vacuum packaging removes a high percentage of air (which is 21% oxygen). This slows the growth of most living microorganisms, which degrade food, such as aerobic bacteria and molds. However, some forms of bacteria, such as clostridium botulinum (responsible for botulism), are anaerobic and grow in the absence of oxygen. Found that in the vp manual so I just assumed all vacuum sealers remove oxygen and therefore have the same risk if food isn't handled properly. Thoughts?
    No- Foodsavers actually have atmospheric levels of oxygen left in the bag, just less of it. You are not at risk of botulism with food savers. With cryo vac seals and canning you actually remove all oxygen from the container and that's when botulinum toxin flourishes if not handled properly. It's the real bad one because it's odorless and tasteless. most other spoilage comes with a red flag in the form of foul smell and taste.

I don't know that chamber vacs provide that type of seal- i was asking. I think they might but I'll look it up later today.