Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Challenging night for a low overnighter

Options
Temp 32 and dropping.  Light snow on and off.  Wind gusts of 35 mph.  Just put on a 10 pound brisket for tomorrow at 240 grid.  Not at all worried about the air tenp or snow, but the high winds make me a bit nervous about holding the temp steady.  We'll see how it goes.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Best of luck!! I bet you will be fine.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You'll be good... No turkey?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    May the green god of the egg smile upon you.  Seriously, you'll be fine.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Doing same thing...brisket going on around 11p, temps going to be 32.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    You're fine... I would have some more Tito's though to combat the chill
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited November 2013
    Options
    henapple said:
    You'll be good... No turkey?
    Going to my sisters - she'll do the traditional stuffed turkey, and I'll Spatch one on the gasser.  Already did 20 pounds of pulled pork earlier today (vac sealed in the fridge)  Hoping to time the brisket to FTC and serve it hot after we get there.
    Options
    hapster said:
    You're fine... I would have some more Tito's though to combat the chill
    Tito's is flowing nicely.  It's a fine line - want to have enough, but not so much I don't hear the Maverick alarm if it goes off overnight.
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Damn... Great thanksgiving
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RaleighGuy
    Options
    Don't worry about the egg. It is like a mail man. No matter sleet, nor snow, nor wind can keep it down.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Tjcoley
    Options
    The wind is actually causing an issue.  Can't keep the temp down.  Was stable for 2 hours just below 250.  Now that the wind has kicked up, having trouble keeping it there.  Right now, Daisy Wheel open just a crack, and bottom vent only about 1/8th inch.  Grid temp is 270 and rising slowly.  Afraid if I shut it down much more, the wind dies, and fire will go out.  It may be a long night.  First time in 2 years I've had this problem.  Will just have to let her go at 270, and hope for a long stall.   
    Options
    turn your egg a 1/4-1/2 turn so the draft door is out of the wind. it will stabilize. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    Thanks Cen-Tex. right now holding steady at 265. If it starts changing I,ll give that a try. Great idea for the wind.
    Options
    You'll be fine my 1st cook was new years eve last year it was like 15 degrees out and snowing and windy I did a pork shoulder bear in mind I was a Egg virgin and I did fine so relax and enjoy the ride let us know how you make out post pics or it didn 't happen
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Good tip from centex. I Glinka you'd be fine even at 275. I've found that 10-15 degree fluctuations on low and slows aren't that big of a deal.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    Lookin good right now. 262 Egg, 145 Brisket. Normally don't woory about a cook, but I have about 45 people expecting me to bring 'deliciousness' off the Egg. I'm confident the pork is a winner, but many are really looking forward to the brisket. A number of them had my brisket for a get together, where I nailed it, and they are looking for the same. I'm feeling more confident right now. Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Options
    Feeling like a NEO chasing temps.  Decided to leave it be and see what happens.  Currently at 255 and going to bed before there is too much Tito's to not hear the Maverick.  It is what it is.
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    It'll be fine... Rest easy and know your brisket will kill it tomorrow at the party
  • Tjcoley
    edited November 2013
    Options
    4 AM - Grid dropped to 225 and Maverick alarm woke me up.  Wind has died down. IT at 160.  Into the foil it goes and lets bump up the temp to 350 for so o finish in time.  At least the fire is still burning, and it smells fantastic. Good titrating of the Tito's -  I heard the Maverick alarm. 
    Options
    Nicely done @Tjcoley. Now you can enjoy the rest of the day.  Happy Thanksgiving.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • PhillyBoy23
    Options

Smoked pork belly this morning for bacon.  The wind bumped me up to 275 from 225 but it came out great.