Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will this pizza set-up work?

Four low temp cooks completed on my LBGE and I think that I am ready for a pizza now. BGE brackets torqued to 120 after each cook. I have the legs down platesetter in place. One brick over each leg. Grate on top of the bricks and then the pizza stone. I am trying to make this work with what I have on hand. Is this a good starting set-up say for around 550-600?

Also...should the daisy wheel always be removed and the ceramic cap placed on the dome when the cooking is finished?

When moving the LBGE in a nest...what is the best hand-hold? Someone said never move it using the dome handle.   Thanks!
LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited November 2013
    Yes it will.
    I got a handler for the nest. I don't move around much but it looks cooler too. B-)
    Seattle, WA
  • Reverse the setter, legs up then the grid then a brick or two then your stone. That nice new gasket will be toast a little quicker if you leave the legs of the setter down. I also suggest you keep the pizza temps below 550º for the first couple of pies and adjust from there. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • That's a good set up. You can put the bricks on the grid and stone on top of that too if it's not stable balancing the bricks on the PS
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I would put the firebricks on the fire ring, platesetter legs down and some spacers between the platesetter and the stone.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i do mine place setter legs up then the grid my risers on that then the pizza stone dome temp of 550 on my XLBGE . keep your stone in the grill as it comes up to temp also . We do 3 to 6 pies every friday night my stone is really seasoned now that the crust gets a nice brown and crispiness to it now . the egg handler is a nice add on also to help move your egg around 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • I use use bricks too...wrapped mine in foil...just in case.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    As for moving, I put my hand in and pull, never push, from the bottom dome. Better a dirty hand than a broken egg.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)