Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Comfort Food, Cottage Pie

Options
OT, not done on the Egg.  Don't even want to say why The Spouse needs comfort food tonight; germy little squids she teaches.

Cottage Pie, ground beef, onions, gravy, a layer of shredded cheddar, and mashed potatoes.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Doc, I did a turkey pie tonight same way. We call them shepherd's pies

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Shepard's Pie is lamb, Cottage Pie is beef.  I nominate yours as Fowl Pie.
    :))

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Little Steven
    Options
    Just so you don't call it foul pie

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Options
    NOW you're talkin !  =D>

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Looks good Doc. We love that stuff at our house too. Probably be doing one any day now.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Wow that looks good, thanks for the great idea Doc, that may be just the ticket for this chilly weekend!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Looks real nice, Doc. I could go for a big ole bowl of that.

I noticed that you only put onions in it. Is there some kind of rule or consensus about what kind of vegetables should or should not be in it? You know, kinda like chili should NOT have beans. I often see carrots in it, but have even seen peas, corn and grean beans in various versions. I know it really doesn't matter, whatever you have on hand or like. Just wondering what is supposed to be in a traditional cottage pie.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That does look comforting. I'll take the leftovers! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Griffin said:

Looks real nice, Doc. I could go for a big ole bowl of that.

I noticed that you only put onions in it. Is there some kind of rule or consensus about what kind of vegetables should or should not be in it? You know, kinda like chili should NOT have beans. I often see carrots in it, but have even seen peas, corn and grean beans in various versions. I know it really doesn't matter, whatever you have on hand or like. Just wondering what is supposed to be in a traditional cottage pie.

I like to add peas and corn, but The Spouse does not like that.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Nice looking shepherd's pie, like LS says, our family north of 49º has always called call them all shepherd's pies. 
    When you think of it, if a shepherd's pie is lamb and and a cottage or drover's pie is beef, what would you call a pie made with goose/duck/turkey/chicken? A fowler's pie? Damn cooking can be complicated. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Nice looking shepherd's pie, like LS says, our family north of 49º has always called call them all shepherd's pies. 
    When you think of it, if a shepherd's pie is lamb and and a cottage or drover's pie is beef, what would you call a pie made with goose/duck/turkey/chicken? A fowler's pie? Damn cooking can be complicated. 
    "pot pie with mashed taters on top" solves all issues