Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Does Anyone Own A SleepNumber Bed?

Options
Way off topic I know.  We need a new mattress. I purchased a Sleep Number I8 yesterday. It won't be delivered for two weeks. After I got home I started reading the reviews and there were a lot of bad ones. There was good as well, and I know that some people would complain about anything, but it was a lot of money. 

I am just looking for any of you that have had experiences with a Sleep Number good or bad. My brother in law loves his and wouldn't trade it for the world. Any advice would be helpful. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    That's a rather personal question sir! (quote from Monty Python). Tempurpedic!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    Latex...no worries with allergies..last 30 yrs
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    We've had one for 12 years. Love it.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    My wife and I love ours. Hers is set on 80 and my side is 45!
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    My in laws have one, and they love it.  

I have slept on one a few times in Marriott Hotels that have them.  I couldn't walk the next day after the first time I slept on it.  It also felt like an air mattress to me.  I think I had the sleep number to low.  I thought I liked a soft bed, but I guess I went a little to soft.  It wasn't so bad the second time I slept on one.  I set it to a more firm setting.  I have no idea what the numbers were.  

I think that if I had some time with it to nail down my number I would be ok with it.  If I am correct, you get some sort of training at the store when you buy the mattress.  I am sure that would be a huge help.  I think I was at a disadvantage because I just happened to show up at a hotel that had the beds in them.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    My tempurpedic has been life altering. I will never not have one.

My only regret was not getting it sooner.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Bustersdad
    Options
    Have had ours for 12 years...we love it
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Have had two. About two years ago got a Temperpedic and have never slept better.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • chays99
    chays99 Posts: 41
    Options
    I had one for several years. Wasn't a great bed for me but I had the entry level model.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Glad to know I can honest mattress reviews here as well... Wife has started the we need a new mattress chant after 13 years.
    Not sure which way we'll go
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    My tempurpedic has been life altering. I will never not have one. My only regret was not getting it sooner.
    Ditto
  • Little Steven
    Options

You need to get the top bit with it. It can be a little warm otherwise. Tempurpedic I mean

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Thanks guys. I guess we will give it a try. I hope I love it!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    My tempurpedic has been life altering. I will never not have one. My only regret was not getting it sooner.
    Ditto
    Ditto here too.  
    What's funny is I always thought with a good bed, I'd want to "sleep in" on rainy Saturdays; instead, as soon as I wake up I'm ready to get up right now.  Weird.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Little Steven
    Options
    Botch said:

It's funny, when I'm on the road I can't sleep in hotels. When I get home I can lay in bed all day

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    Options
    Had one for 10 yrs love it
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I agree with your brother in law. You get what you pay for. The ones at Marriotts are real cheap ones. Nothing like the one we bought. My only regret is that I didn't buy the split matress and adjustable option. Other than that no regrets at all.
  • Browninggold
    Options
    I looked,at Sleep Number and TEMPUR pedic...ended up purchasing the TEMPUR....reclines and massages. Haven't had a sore back since purchasing. Great bed.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Had one for something like 13 years now.  During our recent remodeling it was taken completely apart for the first time and stacked in another room.  I was worried that moving it around would introduce problems, like leaks, but it went back together after a month without any issues.  Can be hard as a rock or very soft and squishy.  I generally have mine set to 65, but will adjust it up or down if I start feeling uncomfortable.  Would like to try a Temperpedic.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Yup-and I am a fan (split console for the SWMBO) but have not tried the temperpedic.  Almost sounds like "how often do you egg thread or beyond"  and I would love to find the trick that could up my number.  But that thread could go down a different and dark road :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    We too have had ours for going on 10 years.  we love it.  Currently have a leak in the plumbing, not the mattress.  They have always been real good about replacing/fixing it.
    Regarding HOTEL sleep numbers, I to have slept on them and they are the worst!  typically they do not have a mattress top, additionally if you are in a queen or king they go with a single bladder so the lighter person is sleeping on a much harder surface.
    Do yourself a favor and also guy some "Perfect Pillows".
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    lousubcap said:
     and I would love to find the trick that could up my number.  But that thread could go down a different and dark road :)>-
    Indeed, I have gone there before.  I post multiple times a day, still feel inadequate.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• mrdnks
    mrdnks Posts: 67
    Options
    you cannot sleep in a sleep number bed for a night or two and determine if you like the bed.
    I went through several mattresses in a number of years trying to find the right one. When I was younger I could sleep in the back of a truck and wake up feeling good. The older I get the more important a good mattress is.
    I have had my sleep number for about 3 years, I will warn you it might take some time to find your true sleep number but once you do its worth it. 
    I am not going to lie, it probably took me 8 months of playing around to find mine.
    I always said I need a firm mattress and played around with numbers from 50-100 for months and was never real comfortable. I started going the other way and have been sleeping at 35 for two years and love it. I think the wife has hers at 80, but that is the good part.
    Its odd to see your bed show up at your door in a bunch of small boxes, but it goes together easy.
    Stop reading reviews and stop listening to other people who tell you what they like. It does not matter at this point. They are quality beds and will give you years of good sleep. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I appreciate all of the feedback. I tend to over analyze and drive myself crazy when making a pricey purchase. I bought a new 4 wheeler last year and drove myself crazy for a week trying to make a decision on which one to go with. 

I knew I would get great opinions here, and I was right! Thanks. 

• Little Steven
    Options
    lousubcap said:
     and I would love to find the trick that could up my number.  But that thread could go down a different and dark road :)>-
    Indeed, I have gone there before.  I post multiple times a day, still feel inadequate.
    Wanna see a trick?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Boom!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Sleep Number bed comes today. I sure to hope I am impressed!

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Well did you like it? I have a sleep number with a memory foam topper. Seems like the best of both worlds when compared to tempurpedic
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    @johnkitchens I didn't realize the thread had been sunk 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf