Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Granite or Paver?

Options
I have started building a table for my two eggs and I have a question as I continue to look at pics of tables that have been posted on here. I can't decide on whether I want to put granite or a paver under the eggs. Do they both have the same ability to handle the heat from the bottom of the egg? I don't want to consider granite if it lets the wood get too hot. Any experiences or thoughts you can share? Thanks!

Comments

• KennyLee
    Options
    Not sure about granite, but I know the concrete pavers work well.  I know that you shouldn't use things like household tile because it gets too hot and will eventually crack.  I'd stick with the paver.....cheaper and is known to do the job.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    A paver with something to allow just a bit of air flow between it and the base of the egg, and you should be just fine. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • captjo
    Options
    BGE Table Nest $27, way better
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • bcran
    bcran Posts: 37
    edited September 2013
    Options

I priced a granite remnant for the egg base and top of my table.  14"x14" base and 22"x24" top.  $950.  Blew me away...all they had to do was cut them out and finish one edge for my top.  I ended up using a paver I already had and finding a top off craigslist for $10.  I win!

• GlennSandSailor
    Options
    I used the BGE base made specifically for tables. It allows air to flow under the egg, keeping your wood nice and safe.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Whatever you choose, make sure there is an air space between the egg bottom and the "stone".
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    edited September 2013
    Options
    A nearby granite company gives away the sink cutouts. Some are round but many are rectangular.
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • tndawg
    Options
    Whatever you choose, make sure there is an air space between the egg bottom and the "stone".
    I think just about every egg I've seen is sitting directly on the paver or whatever. What should they be sitting on and does that affect the depth they are supposed to sit down in the table?
  • KennyLee
    Options
    tndawg said:
    I think just about every egg I've seen is sitting directly on the paver or whatever. What should they be sitting on and does that affect the depth they are supposed to sit down in the table?
    Mine is and almost all other Egg owners I know have the same setup right on a paver with zero issues.  If you're building a table for a large, the Egg requires 15" depth from shelf to tabletop.  The paver I use is 2" thick so I just made the proper adjustment when building my table.  I went with 16" which gave me an extra inch just to be safe and it worked great.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• jn_austin
    jn_austin Posts: 29
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I built a backyard kitchen with a spot for the BGE and used a slab of granite. From what I was told the egg could be placed directly on the granite. This is not a good thing to do. The first time I cooked pizza the granite cracked and had to be repaired. I then installed a table nest. Essentially it provides about 1-2" of air gap under the egg. Even with thick pavers I would not put the egg directly down on top. While the pavers will likely be OK I would not want to transfer that much heat through the medium and into a wood frame. My frame was concrete block so I didn't think I had an issue either. To be honest if I never cooked Pizza on the egg it would probably have been fine. But for real cooking be safe and use the spacer. image
  • jaydub58
    Options
    I have used the original ceramic feet that came with the egg for three years now.
  • iyacyas
    Options
    New here... I too am in the process of building our XL egg table.  Although I don't have a lot of experience with my table burning down or my granite cracking, knock on wood,  I second jn_austin. Use the table nest especially with the granite.  Granite is strong stuff but not as forgiving as a concrete paver. Knowing this ahead of time is good so that you can adjust for the extra two inches in height you will gain with the table nest.  I called Green Egg and they told me that their plans on their website are not for use with the table nest and that with their plans your egg would be raised 2 inches higher above the table top, but they do recommend the use of the table nest with wood tables.   We have 2cm granite under our XL with the table nest.  I pray that the 2cm granite will hold up.
  • iyacyas
    Options

bcran said:

I priced a granite remnant for the egg base and top of my table.  14"x14" base and 22"x24" top.  $950.  Blew me away...all they had to do was cut them out and finish one edge for my top.  I ended up using a paver I already had and finding a top off craigslist for $10.  I win!

I purchased 2-2cm granite pieces 25.5" x 25.5" from a local builders supply for $75 a piece. They have the top and one edge polished and rolled.  I took my angle grinder with a diamond bit and cut the pieces to fit my table.  I also used my angle grinder to round and polish the other three edges and they turned out nice, to me.  I also recommend checking Craigslist for granite pieces.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I went on Kijiji and found a granite place that was selling scraps for $1, any size. Cutting and edging was extra. I figured the cutting etc, would be $60-70+ for a cut. guy told me he would make a cut for $10. I found apiece that just needed one cut to fit my measurements and got it for $10. He didn't even charge me for the original $1. WOOO HOO.

• warwoman
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    I have used the original ceramic feet that came with the egg for three years now.
    Man,that gap looks like a good place to warm tortillas!

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • Robjp63
    Options
    Just finished my table and, I too am trying to decide paver or table nest. I just found the feet that came with our Large three years ago. Has anyone used them on wood?

tndawg said:
    I have started building a table for my two eggs and I have a question as I continue to look at pics of tables that have been posted on here. I can't decide on whether I want to put granite or a paver under the eggs. Do they both have the same ability to handle the heat from the bottom of the egg? I don't want to consider granite if it lets the wood get too hot. Any experiences or thoughts you can share? Thanks!

• jeroldharter
    Options
    No matter what material you use, adding 4 fire bricks to the bottom of the egg to create a thermal buffer is an inexpensive option.
  • THE_HULK
    Options
    This is what I did...

A few holes in the granite to let heat out
    "COLD BEER, GRILLED RIBEYE & FROZEN TEQUILA"
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    I did the same thing with no paver under the egg for years, as recommended by my dealer. Got ready to do a clean burn and checked with the forum for a "how to". One reply was to put a paver  under the feet. Took the egg off the table and had a burn hole in the board under the egg the size of a grapefruit. That response to my ? saved my egg.    

Opelika, Alabama
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    I have a piece of granite under the nest that is 18"x18" and a piece that is flush with the top of the table that is 18" x "21 (see my avatar). Both including cuts were $100. I like the piece under the egg with the nest, I think it looks nicer, I would be concerned that a paver stone (16" x 16") might not be large enough to have the nest sit on top. Best of luck!
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    I did the same thing with no paver under the egg for years, as recommended by my dealer. Got ready to do a clean burn and checked with the forum for a "how to". One reply was to put a paver  under the feet. Took the egg off the table and had a burn hole in the board under the egg the size of a grapefruit. That response to my ? saved my egg.    
    Same thing happened to me.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    Options
    Most granite countertop companies have a "bone yard" with leftover pieces, cut outs and mis-cuts. after buying the first piece of scrap fo $25, the owner now gives me whatever I want and encourages me to take more. I always show him pictures of my projects and he gets a kick out of how I use some of the pieces he has given me. (The rack of ribs probably didn't hurt our relationship either -lol)
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Check around on the granite pricing   I built a table in my deck earlier this year and used a 24 x 48 piece of granite on top.  Go them to give me the cut out that sits on the shelf.  Egg on the egg feet sit on that      My total investment was 225-250 but I thought pretty reasonable
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • jaydub58
    Options
    jaydub58 said:

Oooops!  I didn't state that I used the ceramic feet on a single layer of three concrete pavers.

No worries about heat there.