Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stinkin power is out.

Five hours so far. Have to move the beef bones out to the egg now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Bad for everything but your belly. Egg for the win!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I should have put in a bigger Genny.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Not nice at all, once again the eggs to the rescue. BIL has three portable generators, they live between Perth and Kingston on the Rideau. He heats with wood as much as he can, but needs power to circulate the air to warm the house and keep the fridges cold. He picked two of them up for a song after the big ice storm, people bought them, had them two or three years and never used them.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Our grid is very old and a little ice or snow will knock it out easily. I buy generators wholesale and have a natural gas one running now. Didn't put the oven on it though. The whole neighbourhood is dark. I feel for my neighbours cause  it's sitting about zero right now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Yet you still continue to post. There is no justice in this world.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Sucks for you eh?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

At least you live in the country where it makes sense.  My part of Etobicoke goes out with a strong wind and I live in a city of 3 million where you would think power outages are minimal.

Last outage we had was after the floods in the summer and we were out for 42 hours while the rest of the city moved on. 

Do you have wood or gas stove for heat?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Little Steven

The house is on a natural gas boiler with in floor heat in part. The rest is on an air handler. We had a house fire and got rid of the wood inserts (they had nothing to do with the fire) and replaced with gas inserts. The only thing we miss is the ovens on a crappy night.

My BIL and SIL live at Queensway/Park Lawn. She works for Mississauga Toyota and they lost 150 cars in the flooding. They were without power for over eight days.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited October 2013

Living at the last turn before the end of the world we had the dubious honor of "one of the least reliable power circuits on their grids"- figured anything more than a two hour outage was good for 48 (and that was validated more than twice:))-got the backside of hurricane Ike in the fall of '08 and that was eight + days w/o juice; Jan of '09 and just to check proficiency an ice storm took it out for four + days.  Enjoyed the Fall outage much more as my generator does not have the balls to do the heat system. Beer on the shelf was at nice consumption temperature before it was over.:)   Since then have participated in many meetings and focus groups and we have made major infrastructure improvements. Much more stable now.

I don't envy anyone who has to deal with sustained outages.  But bourbon straight-up can fix most things at least inthe near-term.  Good luck.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

Glad to hear the house is toasty warm for you tonight. 

Your BIL and SIL must have been pulling their hair out in frustration with that outage - I would have been out of my skin mad at that...

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Little Steven

Lou, Other than the oven the only problem I have is the bumps when they get it back on and the transfer switch goes off and I have to wait for the modem to reset.

A cheap UPS would solve that I guess.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap

@LS-but you are much more engineering savvy than am I and you probably have better health care as well:) and that is a big plus-not to mention chef extraordinaire. Of course you are aided by that Maple Leaf lump that cannot find its way south.  Power back soon, I hope.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Lou, I don't think I ever told you but our partner in the US Company was on subs. He got is training in the navy. Loudest guy I ever met and I think they put him on old threshers or sharks. I guess that was to attract the Red Menace subs so the guys on the sweet stuff could get on them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    No secrets here-but it didn't matter how old the US sub was it could kick any adversary's a$$, but he should have told you that:)   I served on the renamed Thresher (Permit) class and the newer vintages-and we always had too much fun. Your partner had judgement-pedigree left to the reader  :)>-  I appreciate the info as you are a mainstay here!
  • Little Steven
    edited October 2013
    I think they "accidentally" set a torpedo on to the beach in the Med, Syria I think. I believe it took out a troop carrier

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    It's George Bush's fault.
    And he's a racist. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

And he's a racist. 

Also, he indirectly made Mike Myers **** his pants.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Little Steven, I thought you have a gas stove, is the oven not on gas too? 
    canuckland
  • That reminds me, I've been meaning to wire up a generator transfer box.
    Gittin' there...
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    And he's a racist. 

And he knows how to make really big hurricanes!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    somewhere a lineman is working most likely making doubletime.
  • It's George Bush's fault.
    Good one Village! Still blaming poor old George!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Grid is stable here - only 3 sustained outages in 18 years, and they were major events.  With that said, I am thinking about wiring in a generator as I make my living running my business out of the house.  I think I can get a 20 KW automatic NG fired unit installed for under 5K, might be next year's project.

Little Steven, is your power back on yet?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    If I do get a generator, I will throw a party when the power goes out.  Everyone can bring the meat from their freezer to cook on my egg!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    We live out in the middle of nowhere with about 10 customers on the circuit.  If there is a power issue we are among the last to have power restored so in the winter the house can get pretty cold.  I bought a 2,000 watt portable generator that allows us to run the furnace and living room which makes power outages much more bearable.

Gerhard
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven, I thought you have a gas stove, is the oven not on gas too? 

Dual fuel Gary.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Cookinbob said:
    Grid is stable here - only 3 sustained outages in 18 years, and they were major events.  With that said, I am thinking about wiring in a generator as I make my living running my business out of the house.  I think I can get a 20 KW automatic NG fired unit installed for under 5K, might be next year's project.

Little Steven, is your power back on yet?
    It came on last night after the Leafs thumped the Fenguins.

Steve 

Caledon, ON