Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Biggest piece of lump

This is sitting in my large for reference.
Boom

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Wow. What brand?
    Give it a whack with a hammer, you have enough for a quick cook there. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Wow. What brand?
    Take it out of the egg first ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615

Wow. What brand?

Take it out of the egg first ;)

Ha very good advice
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    And to answer was Best of the West. First time using. Small small bag. That piece took up 1/4 of bag, dust took up another 1/4
    Overall worst lump ever used.
    But never seen anything so big
    Boom
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    That's not charcoal, it's a big chunk of partially charred wood.  That's why it held together in the bag--you can still see all the uncharred wood fibers in the picture.  If that chunk was truly "charcoal", it would have broken into quite a few pieces.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    That's not charcoal, it's a big chunk of partially charred wood.  That's why it held together in the bag--you can still see all the uncharred wood fibers in the picture.  If that chunk was truly "charcoal", it would have broken into quite a few pieces.
    I have found many pieces that big in fogo lump and its all charcoal.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

"stump" charcoal?
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I once had a 40lb bag of Lazzari Mesquite that had a piece that was ~18 inches long and 5 inches around. I keep a hammer right by the egg when I use Lazarri. I have to bust it up every time I dump the bag. If you google their webpage, you'll see what I mean. It's not really "lump" but more like "log." Stuff sparks like crazy too. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    If you scroll down to the pics I posted in this thread all those big pieces came from one bag and the majority of the bag looked like this. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1365572
  • And to answer was Best of the West. First time using. Small small bag. That piece took up 1/4 of bag, dust took up another 1/4 Overall worst lump ever used. But never seen anything so big
    That's what she said  <:-P

How's it going friend?!
  • FanOfFanboys

And to answer was Best of the West. First time using. Small small bag. That piece took up 1/4 of bag, dust took up another 1/4
    Overall worst lump ever used.
    But never seen anything so big

That's what she said  <:-P

How's it going friend?!

Well I'm an OGer so I see things bigger everyday haha.

Good man. You a master at the Egg now?
    Boom
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Lit said:
    If you scroll down to the pics I posted in this thread all those big pieces came from one bag and the majority of the bag looked like this. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1365572

That's impressive that those stayed together.  Is that the stuff that ships in the box?

If it did stay together, it would pierce our bags.  Believe it our not, I start getting complaints if the chunks start getting bigger than a softball.  The BGE guys like them, but everyone else doesn't--especially those using gravity fed smokers like the Stumps or Rebel.

Medium size chunks, with a few large chunks mixed in, and under 10% small & fines.......that seems to keep everyone happy.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    That's the "Ron Jeremy" lump...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • My Sams has this BOW mesquite lump. Its like a huge bag for $18. I'm new to this, and all I have used except for trying some Royal Oak. I have been satisfied with BOW, but its definately lump. I have a bit that's about that size or bigger out of my bag, but lots of other decent sized lumps. 

The Royal Oak I got was not impressive, it was lots of small shards and dust, a few medium bits and a rock! I was not impressed but knonw its some folk's go-to lump so maybe I got a bad batch.
    Vision Classic 9/2013 - Newbie   Pearland TX (Got Humidity?)
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    If you need to break down those huge lumps, one of the best tools I have found is a welder's chipping hammer.  They can be bought very reasonably at Harbor Freight.  A little light, but good control of the sizes you break off.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa