Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SET YOUR HOME ALARMS! OT

I got robbed yesterday. My front door was kicked in and my stuff stolen at 12:30 yesterday. We have an alarm but don't set it during the day. I'm sure I'll regret that for a long time.

Anyone know of a good 50 gun safe that is fire rated? They got 5 of my guns but left the majority.
Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Man that sucks. You feel so violated after.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• That sucks! My Mother's house was broken into twice 20+ years ago. It gives you a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach.

Thankfully for you (I assume) no one was hurt. Most "stuff" can be replaced.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    No one was home and they didn't steal anything that can't be replaced. The wife lady's heirloom jewelry was hidden.

They must have gotten scared beacouse they didn't get much of what was available. Guns, iMac, iPad, Nikon 1, huge collection of knives, blend tec blender, set of henckles tv, ect. I also have a GIANT stash of ammo that was on shelves in the garage. They didn't touch it.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I'm sorry to hear that Travis.  We got broken into when we first moved into our house.  We had a lot of guys in and out of the house for work and conveniently someone left the dining room door unlocked.  My wife, then pregnant with our first son nearly walked in on them and foiled the whole thing - they got the remote to a radio.  That could have gone very wrong.
  • I got robbed a few years back before I lived here in Shangri-la. I've been pretty vigilant about alarm usage ever since. Sorry Travis. Lucky for those scumbags you weren't home at the time! ;)
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I'm really sorry to hear that Travis.  They probably saw all the guns and ammo and decided to get the f*#& outta there. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Sorry to hear - Glad no one got hurt.

Garnerville, NY
  • I have an ADT Pulse system , can arm it with my phone, if I forget to when leaving. Sorry for your loss.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • We got broken into around lunch one time as well. Broad day light and the guy drove up with a moving truck, he was planning on cleaning us out.  He threw a pot in the back window and kicked the door in.  Alarm went off and he left.  He was just going from house to house seeing whose alarm wasn't on.  Robbed about 3 houses in our area before he go caught.

Glad y'all are all ok.  Always felt weird knowing someone was around/in my house and I wasn't there.  
    My first major purchase after I graduate is going to be a Liberty safe. At least a franklin model. 

XLBGE 
  • By the way.... my Mother (78 yrs. old) just got her concealed carry license. Can't remember the handgun model that she bought but it has a laser sight. She keeps in in her nightstand drawer next to her bed.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I use vivint and can operate it via phone app too. We have just been lazy. Never again.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Really sorry man. Glad everyone was ok though.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I'm really sorry to hear that Travis.  They probably saw all the guns and ammo and decided to get the f*#& outta there. 
    OR they saw all the valuables and will be back; I've heard of that happening before.

Sorry to hear this, that kinda scum needs to be cut up for bait.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• sorry to hear that what did the police have to say about it were that able to find any finger prints?one more question where do you live?
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Sorry to hear that buddy. I'm wondering if they were specifically looking for guns or were aware you have them. DId it seem random(the types of guns stolen)? Were the guns in plainview(I doubt since you have a Curious George running around)? Maybe it's different in Texas but I would think that electronics are more likely to walk away based on the ability to readily turn them over for illicit profit. 

I'm in the same boat with the alarm. We only set it at night since I am in a townhouse with a lot of neighbors who are home during the day(retirees). Makes you think about that, sheesh. At least homeowners will replace property. Thank goodness no one was home. I don't know if there is anything more terrifying than a home invasion.

On a lighter note, thank goodness for the thieves that you weren't home. James Brown don't eff around. 
    ;)
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

sorry to hear that what did the police have to say about it were that able to find any finger prints?one more question where do you live?

Harker Heights, tx.

It's a very nice and safe area. I would have never guessed.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Sorry to hear this... at least no one was hurt. Anything else can be replaced... Lesson learned, albeit a tough one...

Good luck
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Be prepared as they may return after casing your home.
    Pensacola,FL
  • That really sucks, Travis.  I'm sure you'd like to have 5 minutes alone with that thug.

We were robbed twice.  After the second time, I bought a safe and got an ADT security system.  That was the first upgrade to our house that we just moved in to.  I set the alarm even if I'm going to the Stop N Go for 10 minutes.

Go to your favorite gun shop to look for a safe.  Mine isn't big enough for 50 guns.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    50 guns + ammo, I'm pretty sure they got the hell scared out of them. Karma is a **** they will get what is coming to them. Really sorry you have to deal with it though. Its a pain.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Sorry Travis, that really sucks. Love how people don't want to work for stuff like most of us when they can just kick in a door and take what they want. It's a sad state we live in
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Whaler said:
    Be prepared as they may return after casing your home.
    So true. We had a fire a few years back and we were warned to be on alert cause they know you have all new stuff. Saw them casing the place but I guess they didn't like the dogs, surveillance and alarm system

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Nothing makes me more mad than something like this.  Hope they (or you) catch the moth*%^#$*ers.  Sorry this happened to you.

As far as safes, I bought a Liberty about 12 years ago and it has been great.  I think they have a couple models that will hold 50+ long guns.  Mine will hold 28 max when configured for such.  They're very high quality and fire rated, but certainly not the cheapest around.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited October 2013
    Sorry Travis, glad everyone is alright. They will get caught eventually, they all do. You will probably find your stuff at the pawn shops.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Those bastards!

48 gun safe, $200 off from Costco:

http://www.costco.com/.product.100058767.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizontalTop-_-PopularProductsInCategory&cm_vc=categorypageHorizontalTop|PopularProductsInCategory

We have an alarm and surveillance system on the house and separate systems in the shop.  6' iron fence and gate to the back of the house.  We religiously set the alarms whenever we're not home, and when we go to bed.  Alarm and camera signs up.  Battery backup and stand-by generator on the systems.  A run-of-the-mill crook would have to be blind to not see the security.   Never been robbed because we're proactive and diligent.   But we live in an area where it's a real threat.
    That safe is $899 after $200 rebate. It's in my top 5 candidates.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

All that matters is that Short Travis and Tanya are ok.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    not big on all the gun laws but do support mandatory sentencing on gun theft, i think its one year here but should be more with some of the guns out there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

I feel your pain dude. We were robbed last November. thankfully they only broke into my shop and got my quad and majority of my tools. I lost about 10K worth of stuff. Hind sight is always 20/20.We knew we should have had an alarm on the house, but we just never did it. Now we always have it on.We can use our phones for alarming and disarming as well. My wife was so shook up from it we put in a surveillance system as well. We can watch that from our Iphones as well.

Sorry to hear about your loss. It truly sucks. "Stuff" can be replaced, the mental takes some time to get over.

• Sorry, Travis. :(  Happy to hear everyone is okay... 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.