Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Salmon!

Options
BGE_beginner_1
BGE_beginner_1 Posts: 23
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
This is my first attempt to smoke salmon on the BGE but it's one of my favorites. I'm cooking at 225 for as long as it takes to get to around 160 internal temperature with Apple wood chunks. I'm using a dry rub without a brine, hope it comes out good! Below is a pic, just in the grill. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best location for the internal grill temp thermometer, you should be able to see how I have it setup now in the pic below and it's in the middle of the grill above the drip pan and plate setter. Not sure if that's the best temp to measure?
Large BGE and new to the egghead world! 
Orlando FL.

Comments

• BGE_beginner_1
    BGE_beginner_1 Posts: 23
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Picture attached on the grill.....any advice on the location of the grill temp thermometer welcomed.
    More pics coming!!
    Orlando FL.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Looks like the best place to measure to me.  Main thing is to run it over one of the legs of the plate setter which is what it looks like you've done. 

Let us know how it works out and how long you cooked it.  Salmon is the one thing I haven't yet cooked on my Egg that I love.  The rest of the family is not a fan, but want to try it soon. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• BGE_beginner_1
    Options
    Salmon - cooked for 4 hours. I like my salmon dry so I brought it up to 183. Triscuit with cream cheese, cucumber, tomato and a small piece of a hybrid golden Cheyenne to give it a kick! Little bites of deliciousness!
    Orlando FL.
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    Love Salmon, great looking cook.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Cool to do your first salmon and I am glad it that it turned out the way you wanted it to.  Salmon is a frequent cook for us, but we do it to a much lower temp than you did and don't get the dryness you say you like. I am curious about that texture, is it dry enough that it is like jerky or more like a grilled piece but with a lot of smoke?  It must be firmer that our approach.  Of course this is hot smoking.  Cold smoking is way cooler, like 150 or lower, or for smoking cured fish at ambient temp.

You did the probe just the way I initially did it, and once you have a good time estimate you will forgo that in favor for the watch and a thermapen.  When the fat starts to leak out it is done to our taste, but you will need to leave it longer for your preference.

My normal process is to place the fillet on a cooking cooling rack nested in a cookie sheet, apply homemade sweet rub liberally and refrigerated uncovered overnight. Then the next day, while the Egg stabilized in the 180's I pull the fillet and us my finger to scrap off excess rub. Put it in the smoke and hold temp at 180 or so for 45 minutes, until the internal is 130. Then tent loosely and into the fridge to cool. We serve on crackers with cream cheese and cucumber.

We've finally graduated to a homemade rub, but before that we liked Traeger Sweet

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice ideas for salmon. I've got a fillet in the freezer to experiment with.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Options
    Both examples look great. I normally cook salmon @400 direct for 10 minutes or so.. Will definitely try the slow methods next time. Thanks for sharing.
    Fairview, Texas
  • BGE_beginner_1
    Options
    That looks amazing Doc! I actually saw your salmon post prior to cooking mine and stole some of your ideas, especially the cracker, cream cheese and cucumber add on. I did add a small piece of pepper and a tomato, it was delicious! And yes I like mine to be dry like jerky, it is flaky, firm and has a nice crispy crust and skin. This is the only way my wife and kids will eat it as it really eliminates all of the oil and therefore the fishy smell and taste. Your version would be right up my alley and I'll try one of each next time.
    Orlando FL.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    That looks amazing Doc! I actually saw your salmon post prior to cooking mine and stole some of your ideas, especially the cracker, cream cheese and cucumber add on. I did add a small piece of pepper and a tomato, it was delicious! And yes I like mine to be dry like jerky, it is flaky, firm and has a nice crispy crust and skin. This is the only way my wife and kids will eat it as it really eliminates all of the oil and therefore the fishy smell and taste. Your version would be right up my alley and I'll try one of each next time.
    Salmon jerky sounds damn interesting.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    A friend of mine that has a cabin in Alaska brings back salmon.  They serve it on a Ritz cracker with cream cheese and shrimp cocktail sauce.  I am generally not much of a fish eater, but this is superb.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa