Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kinda OT - Need killer margarita recipe...

Hey folks... the title says it all. SWMBO loves them when we go out and I have never tried to find a good recipe. Any suggestions?
SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

Comments

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    I personally love the "7UP" Marg-

1 large can Limeade Concentrate Frozen
    1 bottle Corona
    1 Can 7 up
    Tequila

Add all ingredients to blender sans tequila.  Measure Tequila into can of concentrate until full and add that to blender as well.  Blend.  Add ice.  Blend again.  Serve-

Carbonation will cause mucho bubbles so be careful of that.  Otherwise, my favorite Marg.

Yep-  fresh lime, orange triple sec etc is fab, but I prefer to leave that to the professionals when I am in AZ or similar.  This recipe is more of a cant miss for me-  

Cheers-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited October 2013
    1 can frozen limeade - 2/3 can tequila - 1/3 can triplesec - 1/3 can grand marnier - 3 cans water Served on the rocks.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    1 oz silver tequila (Milagro)
    .5 oz triple sec
    .5 oz margarita mix
    3 splashes real lime juice
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Great stuff... Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info! Can't wait to try these out!

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I have a super easy go to for those who don't like it heavy on sugar/syrup. Buy limeade frozen concentrate, make limeade per directions. For a great marg, put a shot or 2 in your glass with some ice and mix in a pinch of salt. Salt the rim if you're feeling fancy, or from Canada. It's easy and delicious. I've won marg contests with this.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Ingredients

1/2 oz  Cointreau® orange liqueur
    1/2 oz  Grand Marnier® orange liqueur
    2 1/2 oz  sweet and sour mix
    1 oz  lime juice
    1 1/2 oz  tequila
    Instructions
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I asked the same question on the other forum a few months back and got a lot of recipes.  Many were the typical three or four ingredient type, but some were way off the board.  I tried a few of them and came to the confusion that a good margarita is only as good as the tequila you start with.  So if a great margarita is important to you, buy good tequila and try any of the recipes above that you think might work.  Once you find one you like, then practice, practice, praxtiise, prextex....

Just call it lab work.

Oddly, the margaritas we like best are at our local Mexican Restaurant during Happy Hour.  $2.00 and two is enough to turn driving over to someone else.

Spring "Pratise Makes Purfect" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I spent some time in the lab Spring Chicken speaks of. Spent about a month some years ago perfecting a margarita on the rocks recipe. This is what I came up with:

2 oz white tequila ( I like Herradura Blanco)
    1 oz Cointreau (Grand Marnier was a bit too sweet)
    Juice from 1-2 Key Limes according to taste. 
    1-2 tsp  simple syrup (heat 1 cup water and add 1 cup sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves, then bring to a boil).

Fill a shaker with ice. Add a splash of water ( 1 TBSP). Add tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, syrup. Shake well. 

Rub the rim of a glass with the juiced lime, and salt the rim with margarita salt or even kosher salt. 

Pour the margarita into the glass and imbibe

Rinse and repeat :)

Play around with the recipe a bit to figure out how you want to tweak the it. Quality ingredients are a must - white tequila works better than the darker or gold type. I don't like the taste of pre-made mixes so I avoid them.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2013
    Lots of restaurant waiters ask if you want "top shelf" tequila in your margarita.  That's a cheap marketing gimmick.  There is an old saying "Peor el tequila, mejor la margarita".  Tell that to a waiter and he'll probably nod his head in agreement.

Top shelf is usually preferable when sipping straight whiskey, but in mixed drinks, not so.  That is how cocktails came into being in the first place - during the depression, the liquor was so bad they needed to mix it with something to make it taste good.

The following is a general statement.  Not specific to anyone.

One of the pitfalls of a forum is that you always have "experts" who give their advice based on how they think things should be and not from years of experiments and study.  Time and again, I've seen folks essentially ask what a wok is, and three weeks later, they're telling everybody how they have mastered wok hei, and what techniques everyone should use in their stir fry.  Be careful when taking advice (except for mine).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    edited October 2013
    What I am gathering is that there is no "perfect" or generally "accepted" recipe... just trial and error until you find one that works for you.

There will be lots of "lab work" going on at my house very soon. Thanks for all the tips and advice. I knew I could count on you guys to point me in the right direction.

• Caliking's recipe is classic and the one I would endorse as a 20 year bartender.  Just use a decent silver tequila.  No need to go overboard.  I prefer Cointreau to Gran Marnier but either is fine really.  Good cocktails are about fresh ingredients.  Homemade syrup and fresh lime will beat anything store-bought.
  • While I don't require top shelf in my margarita or nearly any mixed drink, I definitely don't want bottom of the barrel headache booze.
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

While I don't require top shelf in my margarita or nearly any mixed drink, I definitely don't want bottom of the barrel headache booze.

Agree with this, there is definitely a middle of the road sweet spot, your drinks will suffer if you go too low end with your liquor.

And apologies for veering OT now, but does it mean that I've been on this forum too much that when I first saw this thread, I read 'margarita' as 'mangrate'?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Here's some of my favorite ingredients, I know the tequilas may be a little overboard for a mixed drink, but I can taste the difference. The mix (Dr. Swami & Bone Daddy's) is the best mix I've ever found. I add a lemon and lime wedge to a metal shaker filled 2/3 with ice, 2 oz. tequila and about 4 oz. of the mix. 20 shakes (don't ask why) this just makes it cold enough for me. Poured into a 16 oz. glass with a Grand Marnier floater.

Like cooking on the egg makes it harder to go out to eat, this margarita makes it harder to order one when we go out.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    My favorite is made with 3 parts Port O' Call Sweet/Sour mix, 2 parts gold takillya and one part triple sec.  The Port O' Call is the one that is a clear golden color (looks like Roses of Lime in the bottle).  
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Looper
    Looper Posts: 44

Ingredients

• 4 teaspoons grated lime zest
    • 1/2 cup lime juice from 2 to 3 medium limes
    • 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
    • 1/2 cup lemon juice from 2 to 3 medium lemons
    • 1/4 cup superfine sugar
    • pinch table salt
    • 2 cups crushed ice
    • 1 cup 100 percent agave tequila, preferably Reposado
    • 1 cup Triple Sec

Instructions

1. Combine lime zest and juice, lemon zest and juice, sugar, and salt in large liquid measuring cup; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until flavors meld, 4 to 24 hours. 2. Divide 1 cup crushed ice between 4 or 6 margarita or double old-fashioned glasses. Strain juice mixture into 1-quart pitcher or cocktail shaker. Add tequila, Triple Sec, and remaining crushed ice; stir or shake until thoroughly combined and chilled, 20 to 60 seconds. Strain into ice-filled glasses; serve immediately

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I disagree with VI - everyone's an expert on a forum! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • For sipping tequila, the best is important. For a margarita I'll use a lower end 100 per cent de agave. Patron orange liqueur is a good alternative to grand mariner. Just use a2:1 ratio of tequila to liqueur, a little agave nectar and fresh squeezed lime juice. The agave nectar is the key, a half oz to a small drink or more for a double.
    500 Posts: 3,177

Here is a Margarita that I had at a restaurant, then came home and made it better then they could, because I used better ingredients.  I don't like sour mixes from a bottle, because they usually have artificial ingredients and high fructose corn syrup.  Same goes for standard triple sec vs. Cointreau.  It's just better.  And I disagree about using cheaper tequila if it's in a mixed drink.  Yes you can go less than premium, but I feel it should be 100% blue agave only, not the "made with" blue agave.  1800 is a good brand.  It's a squarish bottle.

Guava-Jalapeno Margarita @p

2 oz. Jalapeno infused Tequila ~

3 oz. Guava-Strawberry Juice

1 oz. fresh Lime juice

1/2 oz. Cointreau

Chill gasses.  Shake with ice and strain into chilled glass.

~Jalapeno infused Tequila

3/4 cup silver tequila

3/4 cup aged tequila

1 jalapeno seeded and sliced

Add all into jar and let sit for 24 hours.

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009