Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who covers their eggs?

Winter is coming and will probably not get much use out of the Egg anymore for a long time with kids sports/work.  I am in the North East and the egg is out in the open.  I used to have the BGE cover that fit over the Egg when it was on the Nest only.  Now I have it in a big corner table and need to find a way to cover it.  I am not worried about the Egg as much as the table - it has a  granite counter top that I want to preserve. 

Should I remove anything from the Egg.  Grates?  Empty the leftover charcoal?

I guess I should just get a tarp for now and cover it.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You have been around long enough to have seen all the "snow" cooks. If you tarp it you may not use it. It is fine w/o tarp....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I would clean it out and remove anything that could potential cause weathering.... ha you see what I did there?  Bad joke.  In all seriousness, I would remove everything and clean it out good.  I have a cover that is made by BGE for the standard table cart dimension.  Good question on the covering.  I would think the best thing to do would be to rig something up with the tarp and bungee cords.

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    If you are going to store it for a while, clean the geepers out of it. Leave lower vent open and dome cap off or prop open dome an inch or two.

I cover my table with some other brand's fitted cover.

Corner table will probably need tarp and bungee cords.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Leave the bottom vent open so you don't get mold, maybe do a clean burn before you shut it down. I use mine year round but then I'm not in NY
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I always cover mine when it cools.  Makes it a lot easier to get the snow and ice off during bad weather.  I had John at Coverworks make me a custom cover for my large in the table.  My other three are just covered with generic grill covers and bungie cords.

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    i had one blow up from not using it in the winter, posted forever how i just left it out, then one day the a whole third of the base popped of from thaw/ freeze damage. i have more moisture problems being on a lake but with your setup i would cover, my eggs are beat, heres two picks, ones water and grease build up in the ceramics and the others from freeze thaw damage

the freeze thaw is like a giant 1/3 of the egg blister, it doesnt go thru to the inside, this egg was covered under warranty

you may also find imperfections in the ceramic, see the center dot, thats ceramic that wasnt fully mixed, once water got to it and it froze it popped out a section. ive got several of those spots over two of thee eggs. use a cover if up north, you get rain and freezing all year in ny

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    I cooked all last winter, but that was before the back deck was done, so i moved it in and out of the garage (heated) ever cook. Had no worries. I am a bit worried this year leaving it out and doing a cook where the egg temp will start at -30 C (-22 F). I sure hope i dont crack it. I do not have a cover, i will see how it goes for the first few months. Im pretty sure i will be making one though.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    I cooked all last winter, but that was before the back deck was done, so i moved it in and out of the garage (heated) ever cook. Had no worries. I am a bit worried this year leaving it out and doing a cook where the egg temp will start at -30 C (-22 F). I sure hope i dont crack it. I do not have a cover, i will see how it goes for the first few months. Im pretty sure i will be making one though.

i never had a problem when i had one egg and used it a couple times a week and most of my problems came during wet winters, not cold or snow or starting it in cold temps, -10f is my coldest startup
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    edited October 2013
    We will use it over the winter but not often enough - maybe once a month if I am lucky.  I think the Egg would be OK uncovered but the granite counter top is what I am afraid of. Just from resting one of the grids (not hot) that had grease on it stained the granite already.  A full winter would probably destroy it.

Garnerville, NY
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593

I have 300 lbs of RO to burn up this winter and a new Yamaha snowblower to clear my way to the egg....im not covering nothing lol .

Going to egg thru it all...bring on the snow:)

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • I cover my Egg all the time 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I can see mine from the kitchen, I cover at times but I really like seeing it uncovered. Its just nicer that way so I leave uncovered more often than not.
    Seattle, WA
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    One of the most enjoyable Egging experiences is being out on the patio in 20 degree weather with a pork butt or some steaks on the Egg. 

All the neighbors are hunkered down in their houses til spring.  I used my Egg all winter long last year.  Only had one instance where the lid was frozen shut. A quick fire through the bottom vent got it open.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    I would never put it away.  I cook all year out here in Colorado.  My favorite time to cook is during a blizzard.  If you need to put it away for the season, just make sure you allow some air through it so you don't build up any mold.  Clean out as best as you can and consider a clean burn before you store it,
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • uncovered: 4 years in WI with brutal winters (cooked all winter) and 4 years in the texas sun. Still looks awesome. Never even been under an eave or roof of any kind. It's been totally exposed. no problems. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    3 texas summers on mine. No cover of any kind. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    I cover and use my L and Mini all year. Have shoveled snow to load and start it.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I tend to use the egg more in the winter. Never covered any of them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• queued
    queued Posts: 50
    For those of you who don't cover your grill, how does your table hold up?  I'm more concerned about the wood in the table than the egg itself.
    Raleigh, NC
  • queued said:
    For those of you who don't cover your grill, how does your table hold up?  I'm more concerned about the wood in the table than the egg itself.

Not well. 3 yrs max. I rebuilt my table 3X in 8 years and then it burned down. No more wood tables for cetnex.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

I have 300 lbs of RO to burn up this winter and a new Yamaha snowblower to clear my way to the egg....im not covering nothing lol .

You don't get no snow out on the rock do ya cockey?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    queued said:
    I used untreated cedar and tile. It's holding strong so far. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593

You don't get no snow out on the rock do ya cockey?

No nothing like that L.S only this year I'll be it eggin thru it all:)
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5017260/uploads/FileUpload/90/06b60e4fba973d68632361f336666a.jpg
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    I cover mine. The birds poop on it and the table. Plus this is the first winter up coming with a table. 
    I don't want to have to deice the tabletop before I use it

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942

i had one blow up from not using it in the winter, posted forever how i just left it out, then one day the a whole third of the base popped of from thaw/ freeze damage. i have more moisture problems being on a lake but with your setup i would cover, my eggs are beat, heres two picks, ones water and grease build up in the ceramics and the others from freeze thaw damage

the freeze thaw is like a giant 1/3 of the egg blister, it doesnt go thru to the inside, this egg was covered under warranty

you may also find imperfections in the ceramic, see the center dot, thats ceramic that wasnt fully mixed, once water got to it and it froze it popped out a section. ive got several of those spots over two of thee eggs. use a cover if up north, you get rain and freezing all year in ny

Could the problem be because you don't use your ceramic cap, I always put the daisy wheel in the egg at the end of the cook and put the ceramic cap on.  Never get water or snow into the egg and the  daisy wheel does not rust.

Gerhard
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I don't use a cover, my egg is under an overhang and it only rains during the winter, no snow.
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Gotta love NFLD snow. I've never covered mine and have had no issues yet.
    HFX NS
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Egg is uncovered and this week it rained and the coal in the egg was soaked along with allot of condensation in the dome. I guess this is ok? I am worried about this table getting ruined.

Garnerville, NY