Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kobe (wagyu) beef. New York Strips (Pics)

Hello All! I'm a long time lurker and this is my first post. I was at my local butcher and noticed that they had Kobe New York Strips. I had the butcher cut two at 1.5 inches thick. After searching this forum for cooking methods I decided to get the egg as hot as possible, sear the steaks, and then close the egg up. I estimate my searing temp to be north of 800 because every time I closed the lids the temperature gauge shot up past 800. :)

I seasoned the steaks with EVOO, salt, and pepper and I ended up searing the steaks for 90 seconds per side and rotating 90 degrees after 45 seconds. This was my first high temp cook. I have a large Big Green Egg that I got for my birthday in August. I also used the cast iron grate on top of the firebox ring.

While the egg was heating up I cooked two foil packages. One with asapargus, EVOO, salt pepper, and cheese. The other package had pumpkin with butter and brown sugar. I estimate these foil packages cooked for about 12 - 15 minutes. I also made twice baked potato and sauteed mushrooms.

Pictures as promised:

Anchorage, AK

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Wow!!  I'll bet that thing melted in your mouth.  Nicely done!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • BOWHUNR said:
    Wow!!  I'll bet that thing melted in your mouth.  Nicely done!

Mike
    Yes, the most tender steak I have ever eaten. :)
    Anchorage, AK
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 317
    That meat looks ridiculous.  Glad you enjoyed it. Well done, no pun intended.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 317
    edited October 2013

Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That's a strong first showing! Great cook.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Wow, that looks amazing, I'm going to go punch my butcher in the mouth! Nice post.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • So that looks amazing!!

Tell me about this pumpkin?? Like a pie pumpkin?

XLBGE 
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Great Cook!
    I would love to try Kobe (or, a close relative of)
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Great job!looks good! Love the grill marks! =D>
  • So that looks amazing!!

Tell me about this pumpkin?? Like a pie pumpkin?
    Well, by pumpkin I actually mean butternut squash. For some reason I call every orange colored squash "pumpkin". I peel and seed the pumpkin, cut into chunks, then just sprinkle with brown sugar, a dash or two of cinnamon, and add some butter chunks. Wrap all in foil and cook for 12 - 15 minutes or until tender. It taste great but I'm bias ;)
    Anchorage, AK
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

Looks great.  Noticed your location.  I assume that grocery prices can get pretty steep the farther north you go + Kobe on top of that = glad you didn't mess it up.

Seriously - they look delicious.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice job, keep posting with pics of your cooks!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Wow. Well done Sir. ^:)^

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    six_egg said:
    Wow. Well done Sir. ^:)^
    +1  Excellent first post.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Looks great! I would love to try some Kobe beef.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Very nice. Now I have to ask the hard question: just what was the price/lb for those magnificent slabs?
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • BigWader said:

Looks great.  Noticed your location.  I assume that grocery prices can get pretty steep the farther north you go + Kobe on top of that = glad you didn't mess it up.

Seriously - they look delicious.

Overall groceries aren't too bad up here. Some things we pay more for like fresh produce but really everything else seems to be about the same in price as the lower 48.
    Very nice. Now I have to ask the hard question: just what was the price/lb for those magnificent slabs?
    Well, they were going for about $38.00 a pound so needless to say this cook won't happen too often. However, it was worth every penny.

Thanks to everyone for the kinds words and I'll be sure to post up more of my cooks with pictures of course! I've done a great Boston butt using the turbo cook method, two cooks of St. Louis style ribs but only one of the cooks was good, and two chickens with the same 50% result. I still have a lot to learn and thanks to this site I can learn it all! :)
    Anchorage, AK
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Amazing!  That 3rd pic is a magazine cover.  What did you use to fancy up the photo? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• My local butcher, who I really like, will only do prime or Wagyu on special order with a rather hefty minimum purchase. Right now I'll just live vicariously through your pictures.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Amazing!  That 3rd pic is a magazine cover.  What did you use to fancy up the photo? 
    Thanks! I use Camera+ for iOS devices. I really like the ease of post processing the photos.
    Anchorage, AK