Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

crispy chicken wings

I cooked wings last night and put a random dry rub on them. I think it was goya adobe or something, i figured it would just add some flavor to go along with the buffalo sauce..  when I took the wings off they were a nice brown color but I think it was just because the dry rub burnt on them.  They weren't nearly as crispy as I would like them to be.  I want to give it a second try tonight and attempt to perfect it, should i coat them in anything? Any tips would be a great help.

Thanks! 

Comments

• jbmoss
    jbmoss Posts: 12
    I normally season them then coat with corn starch. 
  • tshuggz
    tshuggz Posts: 19
    What temp and how long do you cook them for?
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I did some last night at 375 indirect for a little over an hour. I put baking powder on them and some rub and they were perfect.
    NW IOWA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    put them on the grill skin side down and cook til the skin is crunchy, then flip and finish cooking. biggest problem i see is folks cooking skin up trying all kinds of tricks to get the skin crunchy.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    put them on the grill skin side down and cook til the skin is crunchy, then flip and finish cooking. biggest problem i see is folks cooking skin up trying all kinds of tricks to get the skin crunchy.
    Huh? The skin goes around the entire wing.  Can you be more specific?

I find using 400* - 425* seems to the trick.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • jbmoss
    jbmoss Posts: 12
    tshuggz said:
    What temp and how long do you cook them for?
    375-400 direct, turn them every 15 mins until they are finished.
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    425 indirect do not open egg for 1 hr do not flip them do not check them they will be crisp on outside juicy on inside. You can dust them with salt an pepper or dry rub before cooking. When you take them off after 1 hr you can toss them in your favorite sauce they will be perfect
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Some use corn starch, some use baking powder, I use 50/50 mix of both being non-commital. Dust the wings, not too much, I use a Pampered Chef flour duster. Fridge for a couple of hours uncovered. If all the starch has not disappeared, mist with oil, then apply your seasoning. 

I find indirect 425-450º or raised direct 350-400º works best. If SWMBO wants a sauce, I go indirect with a drip pan. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tshuggz
    Thanks everyone I will try to cook some tonight using your advice and will report back!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Ragtop99 said:
    Huh? The skin goes around the entire wing.  Can you be more specific?

I find using 400* - 425* seems to the trick.
    the thicker skin side where theres more fat under the skin, feather side. once the fat starts to liquify it crisps the skin
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I lightly dust mine with cornstarch and cook them at 300F for about an hour, raised direct.  I cook skin side up for 45 minutes of that. 

There are so many roads leading to great wings on the BGE.  You'll find what works best for you... good luck tonight! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • tshuggz
    so skin side up, your referring to the rounded side of the wing, not the nice flat side?
  • tshuggz
    Sorry, brand new and trying to learn these new terms. Another question. When you say direct and indirect heat, are you referring to using the plate setter and not using it?
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited October 2013
    No problem, @tshuggz... keep asking questions -- we are all here to learn. 

Yes, direct and indirect refers to the platesetter. Direct means there isn't a barrier (platesetter) between the fire and the food. 

Many people cook wings indirect ... like I said, many roads lead to great wings, so find something that works best for you.

Here are some pictures that might help. I cook my wings at 300F for about an hour, raised direct. For "raised" I use firebricks:

Wings 

When I say "skin side up" I mean the thicker side like @fishlessman said.

Wings 

I only cook skin side down for the last 15 minutes.

Wings 

They are crispy, tender, and smoky:

Wings
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • tshuggz
    Kristi, thanks so much for the help!  Those look absolutely phenomenal!! 
  • Kristi, you are very helpful to everyone. Thank you!!