Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our Weekend Cooks (lots 'o pics)

Had some friends (including my Egg dealer) flying in to town to see the Dallas game Sunday and they asked if they could stay with us Saturday night. But of course. What to cook? Brisket, by golly! Got to cleaning out the Egg Friday night. What the hell is that? Guess I somehow missed some foreign object mixed in with the charcoal last time I filled up the Egg.

This was the brisket. Picked it up back in July and with a $10 off coupon only ran me $4.04!! Not too shabby. Wanted to try something new and I've never injected a brisket so I tried Dr. BBQ's beef injection which can be found all over the net. Some beef broth, worsey sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne. Rubbed it down with some worsey sauce and 50/50 salt and pepper. IMHO still the best rub for brisket.

Got the Egg stabilized at 250 grate level, plugged in the Auber and tossed the bad boy on at midnight. Was a bit impressed that Mrs. G was still awake (and was a trooper staying up till 2am, not cuz we needed too, but because we were watching movies and well lubricated)

Saturday, I got up way earlier than I wanted too. Not because of the Egg, but because of the dogs. For some reason, they didn't get the memo about it being Saturday morning and me needing my beauty sleep. Egg was right at 249 and the brisket was looking good.

Weather was so nice, we decided to take the bedroom tv out to the back patio because who wants to waste a gorgeous day watching tv inside when you can watch it outside? ;) First up was Mrs. G's Screaming Eagles (Fighting Eagles? I don't know. UNT) against Georgia.

My plan was for the brisket to be done at 2:00. That would be a 14hr brisket. Didn't finish till 2:30. Pretty close prediction I would say.

Then the Mini got called into action to cook some Swamp Balls (sausage cheese balls with Swamp Venom in them). 375 using the Mini Woo and two pizza stones, 12 to 15 minutes a batch. Bad picture, I know.

While those were going, the point got cut off, cubed, more rub added and back on for our first attempt at burnt ends.

I really don't know what happened with the brisket. I thought it was the worst one I had ever done, or at least in a long time. Mrs. G said my logic was a bit fuzzy from the Wild Turkey and that I was my harshest critic. Everybody else seemed to enjoy it, but I thought it was dry and a bit tough. The injection added no flavor or moisture that I could detect. Maybe it was that I sliced the whole thing up before taking it to the table. Not sure why I did that, I usually slice as we eat. Maybe Mrs. G was right about the Turkey.

Burnt ends came out really good. Better than the flat, but I think I need to find a different sauce. We used Stubb's and it was ok. What sauce do you use for your burnt ends?

Mrs. G also whipped up some of her MeeMaw's (Grandmother's) Alabama Mashed Potato Salad and some borracho beans. She's gonna get me the recipe today or tomorrow for the potato salad, but we've been sworn to secrecy on the borracho beans.

All in all a pretty great Saturday. Watched my Bears destroy Monroe (until the guests made us change the channel for the Aggies since it was such a killing). Watched that for awhile before we switched to UT and then partly through that game I went inside and played pool with anybody who was interested. Good thing nobody took me up on playing for money as I was in rare form, and I don't mean I was playing well. Things just got hazy after that.

I will say that the next day I warmed up some brisket to go with my eggs and it wasn't as bad as I thought, especially considering I nuked it. Actually was pretty tender. I guess I am my worst critic. Football, cool weather and Egged food...does it get any better?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Sorry to hear about the brisket, Grif.  What I.T. did you cook it to?  I've had briskets that I seemed to do everything right, and they just weren't up to par.  That's why I have a great BBQ sauce recipe.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

It was around 200-205. Every indication was that it was done. Probe went in like buttah in a few places I tested. Then it got FTC'ed for  a coupla hours. Everything the way I normally do it. Disappointing especially coming off the heels of my best brisket cook ever. Think I might go back to getting my briskets from a local farmer that does grass fed beef only and slaughters them when they are young (the last full packer was 5.46lbs). More and more I believe that the most important factor in smoking a brisket is choosing the right one.

I think the leftovers will got chopped, warmed up in broth and served brisket taco style.

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Hell with the game. I just want to come stay at your house!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin

You're welcome anytime, Mickey. Those steaks you did this weekend looked great.

To top if off, I screwed up some cornbread of all things last night. Just wasn't my weekend for cooking, but I had a great time trying. :D

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Griff thanks. That will be my goto for steaks and thick chops from now.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin said:

Think I might go back to getting my briskets from a local farmer that does grass fed beef only and slaughters them when they are young (the last full packer was 5.46lbs). More and more I believe that the most important factor in smoking a brisket is choosing the right one.

I think the leftovers will got chopped, warmed up in broth and served brisket taco style.

I think you are onto something here regarding the size for those of us who can't choose a brisket. Last few have been from my local Safeway, the Danish butcher used to man the counter in a very Jewish community, his words, he learned everything about brisket. He cut one in half for me, ended up with two 3 pounders, They were the best ever. Largest he has provided to me was no more than 7 pounds. All have been very good. Going to try a grass fed one this week from a local specialty shop. They specialize in 5 pounders. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I have a bit of a dumb question.  When you say you apply a 50/50 rub of salt and pepper, how thick are you applying it?  You had about a 9.5lb brisket, so how much rub did you use?  About a cup, or so?  Half a cup? 

The last time I made a brisket, I used salt and pepper, but I think it ended up being more of a seasoning than a rub.  When it was done, it looked more like a corned beef than a BBQ brisket.  No bark at all. Your picture looks more along the lines of what I'm aiming for. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Griffin

I honestly couldn't tell you @SaltySam. I weighed out some peppercorns and dumped them in a coffee grinder, weighed out the same amount of kosher salt and dumped it in then gave it a whirl. I really can't remember if it was 2oz of each or 4oz of each due to beverage consumption. Wish I would have taken a picture so you could get an idea of how much I used. This was my last brisket and I put just a tad bit more on it than this one.image

Rowlett, Texas

• No worries, man!  A picture is worth a thousand words.  This really gives me an idea of how much to use.  Appreciate the feedback.

I saw you posted the finished picture on Griffin's Grub, and couldn't wait to see this writeup.  I'm bummed that it didn't turn out for you, but truth be told, it's a relief to know I'm not the only one. 

:D

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    and well lubricated? ... In the future how about inebriated, buzzed, drunk, hammered, etc.. :(|)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    What is the foil under the flat for? To protect the thin part of the flat?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Love the pics of the eggs at work. I like to use Blues Hog regular and red mixed 1:1 for burnt ends. 

Like @Mickey, I want to come over too... but I won't be leaving :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griffin

@SaltySam it happens to the best of Eggers at some point or another...and me too.

Thanks @hapster. I had some leftovers for lunch and I think I was being too hard on myself. It wasn't as bad as I thought.

@Hotch exactly, an old trick I picked up somewhere along the line when you are using the placesetter. Put one leg in the back where it's usually hotter and then cover the gap in the front with aluminum foil between the other two legs. Now that you mention it, I really have no idea why I didn't use my AR.

@caliking - I'll try that mix next time. If you come to stay permanently, you'll have to do chores. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

I need to start me a "BGE Tricks and Secrets" book. This will be going in it.

Most are so simple but I just don't remember them when I need to.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX