Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dude, tell me about your stash.

I've got 15 bags of Royal Oak laid up, the local walmart was clearing out the lawn and garden and I scored the last 4 bags that weren't torn in the store. I can probably get some BGE from the patio store I bought my Egg from if I run low in February. That gives me 3 bags per month from October through February, but I have 2 9 lb butts and 2 spatchcocks before the end of this month. Color me worried.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Been there done that. 13 years ago before lump was readily available around here I had about 30 pounds to last me from November until whenever - even my BGE dealer was out of stock and didn't plan to order until Spring! (with foresight like that no wonder he went belly up!) I swore I was never going to be in that spot again and once I started stock piling I kept reaching new thresholds of where I felt uncomfortable. First it was anything below 250 pounds then 300 pounds and then 400 until at one point I had 760 pounds of lump! I realized I had a problem! I've gotten better about that insecurity, but when I get down to only 500 on hand I still buy a few more 'just in case". LOL Just the same I only buy when it is on sale so maybe I'm not nuts after all!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    80 pounds of Wegman's (RO), 80 pounds of ForrestLump, 20 pound bag of WGWW.  Topped out a few weeks ago at 250 pounds or so.  Now thinking I may not make it through year end, let alone the whole winter.  Fortunately, the way the stores push up the seasonal timeline (Christmas commercials already playing), by January the spring stuff should be coming out and everyone will stock lump again.  
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    400 lbs of Ozark Oak... And I'm sweating it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • 15 x 8.8 = 132 lbs..........maybe it's time to tour the other local walmarts.
  • I have 11 bags right now, I imagine that will be enough to last me to March when the local Canadian Tire, CostCo and such start stocking lump again.  Should I run out I know I can get some from my egg dealer but he is a 40 minute drive away.

Gerhard
  • TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    I've got 100 pounds of Royal Oak, and half a bag of BGE..  I'm good for a few months..  :>
    Rowlett, Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    It's all in your supply chain as is quoting the obvious-but here in the land of Kentucky Jelly I am good with running around 60-80#'s of lump cushion, i.e. my minimum inventory level.  Planning on a big RockWood buy from a close (60 miles) supplier in early Oct, then enjoying Q in the Winter.  I do believe you can never have too much as long as you smoke it. :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    I guess one advantage of southern coastal living is not having this worry.  Currently have about five lbs RO.  But I have to pass Wallys on the way home from work where RO is $6 for 8.8lb bag year round.  
    MBGE in Charleston

• Here's 56000-lbs of Rockwood.........we're good to go.

I'll grab some when I win that egg off you on Facebook!
  • I can't believe you people that can't control your urges.
    :))

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I've got 68 lbs of Frontier, but Wegman's and BJs locally still have stock.  I am pretty certain I will be able to get it from Wegman's at least through the winter, though I will probably grab another 40 lbs or so just to be safe.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I usually keep 150 pounds or so of Ozark Oak on hand.  I have a specialty BBQ shop five minutes from my house that sells "The Good One" brand in twenty pounders so I really don't sweat running out.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Here's 56000-lbs of Rockwood.........we're good to go.

I'll grab some when I win that egg off you on Facebook!

Not us.....that's one of our dealers, St. Louis Homefires.

Nice shop, check it out if you come ever come through town.

• I have 6 bags of Royal oak, 6 bags of Ozark Oak, and just score 5 bags from the Dallas buy.  That should last me for a while.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    The beginning of summer I had 36-10lb. bags of Ozark Oak, 2-20lb. bags of Wicked Good, and a couple Royal Oak bags laying around. Not sure what the current counts at
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • My stash?  Mostly 20's & 50's with a couple of 100's mixed in...er... forget about that.  I have about 140 lbs. of lump. 
    Flint, Michigan
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Just 50 pounds of Kroger. When they are out on the shelf I can place an order with them and it comes in a week.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Was at The Restaurant Store and they had RO. Asked if they stock it year round and they do. I bought 3 bags, should last me for the next week or so.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • 105 pounds of RO, 60 pounds of Sugar Maple and 100 pounds of mystery Mexican "mesquite". 
    Son found this guy who imported a container of this stuff to Canada, trouble is it is labelled wrong, so he is having a fire sale for about 30 cents a pound. About 1/2 pound of dust in a 6.6 pound bag. 
    Tried it for two cooks, mild as far as mesquite goes, burns hot. Using the Whiz;s 1" squares. Understand the local Lowe's is clearing out their Basque Sugar Maple, time for another 10 bags!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I just received 200 lbs of Rockwood for myself and 100 for frankie482.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    400lbs of RO at 3 bucks for a 20lb bag:)
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    2 bags of old wicked good. A bag of publix, and 3 bags of forest lump. Over 100 pounds but I can get it year round.
    Dunedin, FL
  • I haven't tried to grow a stache since college.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    A bag and a half of Royal Oak (15 lbs). So glad I don't have to worry about having a stash here in Dallas. Don't usually have more than two bags unless it goes on sale and then I "might" buy 4 bags.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Just got 5 bags of Rockwood, have used about half a bag. Also have 60 pounds of Wegmans and 26.4 pounds of regular Royal Oak.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• 10 bags of Rockwood, 3.5 WGWW, 1 RO, 1 Central Market.
  • It's that time of year! I'm surprised here in Mississippi that Walmart runs dry during the winter but mine does. I've only got like 75 lbs at the moment.

XLBGE 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I've only got 100 lbs at the moment and that will last a while since I only do 2 or 3 cooks per week on the egg.  With Rockwood GP's popping up, I'm not too worried about getting more when I run low.

I'd stock up like @CANMAN1976 and @Skiddymarker if I found deals like that. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • RonP
    RonP Posts: 8
    Thanks to Proser's Rockwood DFW group buy and what I already had on hand I was 2 lbs shy of 250 lbs Saturday afternoon. But, I'm down a couple more pounds now.