Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg in N Texas

It took some time to get approval to post, but mostly glad to be able to see the pictures in full size now!  I just wanted to drop a note in the forum that I am here and gleening info from you guys (and gals).  The forum came with recommendations from other BGE members that were on a boat forum I frequent...in a BGE thread!  My egg is still in the box.  I was busy selling the boat and took advantage of a sale in Carrollton I couldn't pass up.  I didn't get a nest as I am planning a table.  I am intending to use nakedwhiz plans modified to lower the bottom shelf so as to take advantage of the space for enclosed storage with doors and drawers.  It will be a rolling cart with a granite top...I hope.  That is, if I can stomach the additional expense of that. 

Anyway, just wanted to say howdy, and apologize up front for the stupid questions to follow!  I am a complete noob at smoking or low and slow...never have done it.  I am a DIYer and like structure and following guidelines, so this is going to appeal to me, but I can see it takes practice!  I purchased the platesetter, grill gripper, grid lifter (they threw it in!), and ordered the Mavrick ET 732 dual probe thermometer along with a brown Thermapen that I found on sale from Thermoworks.  So I should be set to become an egghead and enjoy the fruits of my labor, so to speak.  We have been shedding pounds and are weight watchers too, but that doesn't mean you can't have good things, just in moderation!  I also found that forum within, so will visit for help in that department!  I am finalizing my table plans with all the revisions, and looking for a few days off in a row to "break ground" on it.  Thanks for being here, it is always easier to enter into a new adventure  when the path has been blazed and the guides are in place!  And you have already provided me with the desire and guidance to make it this far! 

Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Welcome aboard @txav8r . Always good to have another Texan here. If you have a chance, come on down to the Plano Eggfest on Nov 2nd.

And no need to apologize for questions. We were all new at one point or another. Plenty of helpful people here to answer any questions you have, just make sure to take pictures and share them.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

+1 Texan

Welcome

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Welcome from Greenville tx.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Welcome aboard.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    Thanks for the welcome!  Dang Griffin, I paroozed your pages of grub.  I have a lot to learn!  Maybe I bit off more than I can chew!
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Welcome from Tennessee...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

You didn't bite off more than you could chew, you can get there. I started grilling/bbqing around 16 years ago and I've screwed up plenty a meal including simple things like chicken breast and have burned a few burgers here and there. Didn't get an Egg till something like 3 years ago almost. Keep it simple until you've got the basics and go from there. My first cook on the Egg was chicken thighs and then my wife cooked cream spinach in a CI Dutch oven. My second cook was the next night and was a spatchcock chicken. Just get to cooking and you'll be a pro in no time and we'll all pitch in and help ya with any questions ya might have.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Welcome Aboard! Another Texan. :D

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Welcome Aboard. It's always good to another Texan on here.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• I'm glad you're here.  I'm in Flint, Michigan.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Welcome aboard, lots of great people here with tons of experience. You are going to love the journey.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Welcome! I am also doing WW, have lost 75lbs since Nov. Got my XL BGE in April and was a bit worried it would ruin the WW efforts, but if you keep things tracked and watch the portion size it still works and you have some of the best food ever. I swapped eating out for egging. At least I know exactly what I am eating. When eating out you never know what kind of sauce stuff has been prepared in, etc
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Also, smoke and spice add zero points, so you can really change things up for "free"
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Welcome aboard, this site has the knowledge to help you cook the best food you have ever made outside. We like pictures and no question is too dumb, if your wanting to ask it chances are many other eggheads would like to know as well. 

Its addicting so watch out once you unpack that egg, post pictures and share your "eggsperience". 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • txav8r
    Man, this is really a great group! Thanks for all the welcome and anticipated help! I will have questions. One right off the bat...I would really like to lower the egg in the table too. Any of you feel it being 4 or 5 inches above is a big deal?
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Welcome from another north Texan. I don't post very often but I read a lot.

Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • txav8r
    I also wanted to commend you DMW, it is a process isn't it? I have lost 35 so far this time. A lifetime member, having lost 67 10 years ago. So this time, we will keep it off. Another 24 to go. I won't shave off all I did last time, I went too far. It's all knowing what points your eating and portion control. So good food is a must or you will never stay with it. Thanks for the info!
  • Another welcome from North Texas, near Texas Motor Speedway. I too read WAAAY more than I post.
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    We can never have too many Texans.  We keep the rest of the folks on focus.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Welcome aboard, and to all the Texans in the house

HOTTY TODDY!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

More Texans, More Texans, More Texans is always a  good thing.....

First of all: any question you ask will come back with at least 3 different answers. All of them correct.

Second is to hold March 15th open and show up in Salado at the Salado EggFest.

Glad to  have you

:-h
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    edited September 2013
    Welcome, Us Texans are a proud group @Mickey. Do I need to register or buy tickets to the Salado EggFest?
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • If I was a bovine, I'd be up to my tri-tip in Texans... welcome to another one, from the Imperial Province of Cascadia in Canuckistan. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Proser said:

Welcome,
    Us Texans are a proud group

@Mickey. Do I need to register or buy tickets to the Salado EggFest?

There is ZERO cost but please register.
    Look just below here in my sig. If problem just call me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Although I'm not from Texas, welcome.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • txav8r
    Thanks for all the welcomes. Native Texan as well. Gotta ask... Canuckistan???
  • txav8r said:
    Thanks for all the welcomes. Native Texan as well. Gotta ask... Canuckistan???
    aka The People's Republic of Canada.
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Mickey said:

Proser said:

Welcome,
    Us Texans are a proud group

@Mickey. Do I need to register or buy tickets to the Salado EggFest?

There is ZERO cost but please register.
    Look just below here in my sig. If problem just call me.
    @Mickey... Can you post the registration Web address? Can't see people's sig on my mobile.

@ Proser... You'll have a blast and sign up to cook.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    edited September 2013
    Z

• Mickey
    @henapple and all others. Salado Blog Spot ran by Spring Chicken http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com