Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a cook idea for Tailgate

Now that I have been cooking on the Egg for over a year and a half I HATE coking on a gas grill.  Especially the portable gas grill we use for tailgating at football games. 

I am looking form some cook ideas that I can possibly cook the morning of and bring to the game and reheat on the gas grill (not allot of real estate).

Burgers make a mess and steaks come out dry on the gas coleman grill.

Any ideas?  This weekend its a 4:00 game so I need a cook to put on the Egg around 7or 8 and have it off by noon to drive to the game.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    something that would probably work well on the gasser is tenderlion steak sandwiches, cut them about 3/4 inches thick,, marinate them in woostershire or whatever marinade you like, cook them and they will flatten down and serve them in burger buns with hamburger dressings or steak sauce. no fat for flairups and so tender they dont have that drying out problem, just cook them medium rare
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Pulled pork... Ribs?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    as it gets colder, beef stews, gumbo, chili, chowder, heat up some shrimp or lobster dip with grilled ciabata toast, lots of things
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Oh and Low carb is needed for me.

Pulled pork would be great but not enough time (Got ~4 hours max to cook on the Egg in the morning).  Same with Ribs - Just made the best ribs the other day and they took 5 hours.

Tenderloin sounds OK just need to figure out a side then as I dont eat bread anymore.  Sucks as I miss bread and having a sandwich.  Hard to cut meat standing up on a paper plate.  :)

shrimp/lobster - yummy - not for a tailgate though.

Garnerville, NY
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    If you need more time for a long cook, use a Digi-Q or similar controler. You can get a decent nights sleep after getting it all going. Then FTC and off to the game you go. You won't even have to reheat.
    Just a thought.
  • robnybbq
    Got a wedding the night before that I wont get home until midnight or later and definitely will not be in any shape the light the Egg.  I do want a controller one day though.

Thinking maybe cooking wings that morning.  Asian Thai style and buffalo.  Just need to know how I should hold them after cooking them and reheating.  After cooking will eat them about 3 hours later.  Put them in the fridge right after cooking then on ice for 2 hours?

Should I cook them all the way through?  Throw them right on the cast iron grate of the gas grill to reheat or in a pan covered?

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    Do an overnight pork butt...

2 6lb butts.. Halved.. 350 till 160, wrapped in hdaf till done. 3 hrs.

Ribs... 325, one and one half hrs. One hr wrapped then 30 minutes opened. I rub with honey before foiling and sauce the last 30

I ftc'ed a butt Saturday for 6 hours... The pan was too hot to touch.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    You should be able to do spares @325 in about 3 hours without foiling or anything. Sauce for the last 10 -20 mins if you like.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • robnybbq
    baby backs of Spares?  They have to be done in that time or they will be in the garbage as I have to get on the road to get to the game.  Is 3 hours a guess or hard done?  Will they be tender or just cooked like a pork chop? 

Garnerville, NY
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I've done baby backs many times in three hours or less at 325*. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • robnybbq
    Will they hold for 2-3 hours FTC'd?  I do not want to reheat ribs on a portable gas grill.

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    You can do it the way I suggested in 3 hours easy. You can cut back about 10 minutes per step to get that pull off the bone texture. Really stupid question...Why not get up a little earlier? Oh, the ftc will be fine. Double wrap and towels, towels, towels.
  • The day before, cook a whole pork loin till done. Cool and slice to the thickness you like. Put into large freezer bags with marinade or not  before you leave for the game put into a cooler add very hot water. If done right the meat should be hot n ready for buns and mayo, or whatever.
  • robnybbq
    henapple said:
    You can do it the way I suggested in 3 hours easy. You can cut back about 10 minutes per step to get that pull off the bone texture. Really stupid question...Why not get up a little earlier? Oh, the ftc will be fine. Double wrap and towels, towels, towels.
    Wedding the night before - I may still be drunk earlier in the morning.

Garnerville, NY
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Bacon wrapped fatty or meat loaf. They can be sliced and reheated on the grill. It has worked for me.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Buy a small egg for tailgating, that was my solution--from last tailgating--small getting fired up at Clemson/ SC State game:

• henapple
    During the game egg security?
  • @henapple--security not a problem, no thugs in Clemson--LOL.  Actually, good question, and tailgating for us is a big family thing--usually two brother in laws, wives, kids, friends, etc.  You will even see our yellow lab in the picture above.  We always have some wives and kids that hang out in tailgating spot and don't go into game--you might can see the TV in the back of our surburban in the picture, so plenty to do during game at tailgating spot.  If we do have a rare occassion where everyone went in game, I have a cable that travels in the surburban, I would just move egg to least visible spot, and run cable through hinge and lock to a wheel/car frame/trailer hitch bracket/whatever.  Of course, everyone is worn out at end of day--traveling home this time with daughter, and sound asleep son in law and lab (since when did labs become lap dogs??)

• henapple
    From the picture a she looks like the only sober one... sil and puppy are passed out. =))
  • I hear you, we are working on the dog's drinking issues.  However, at least she is a good diver:

• robnybbq
    awesome shot.

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    "I believe I can fly"... Pretty dog and picture.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    something that would probably work well on the gasser is tenderlion steak sandwiches, cut them about 3/4 inches thick,, marinate them in woostershire or whatever marinade you like, cook them and they will flatten down and serve them in burger buns with hamburger dressings or steak sauce. no fat for flairups and so tender they dont have that drying out problem, just cook them medium rare

@fishlessman, that is a great idea.  I'm going to do that tailgating this weekend if I find the right tenderloin - probably as sliders.  We'll probably blacken the tenderoin in a cast iron pan to add to the flavor. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Last weekend I did some pork butts and was finished way earlier than expected for my future sister in law's birthday party. Meat hit desired internal temp at 9am and the party wasn't going to start until 7pm. I wrapped in foil, towels, then into a cooler until 6:30pm. Surprisingly they were still hot 9.5 hrs later using the FTC method. I now have faith doing this for tailgates in the future.
    Houston, TX