Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scotch?

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Spent the afternoon with Baby Girl in Chat-town... Sushi for lunch. Got home and enjoying a Jameson, little water and cherries. Big storm moving in... @Aviator got me drinking scotch a while back .. Glenfiddich. Any other good ones ya'll suggest. The 18 year is unbelievable.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    My favorites are Balvenie and MacCallan, but enjoy the different flavors in a bunch more of them
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Well, the Glenfiddich 18 is around $70 per bottle... I only have it with friends when we can relax, have a cigar and solve all religious and political problems.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Oh there's plenty to enjoy, depends on how much you want to spend to some degree.

During the week, I like the Irish whiskeys e.g. Black Bush, Bushmills 16, Jameson (regular and 16). McCallan 12, Balvenie 12 or 15 if I'm feeling special that day.

The Islay single malts come out on the weekend, especially if I'm egging. Currently in the stables: The Ardberg Uigeadail, Lagavulin Distillers Edition, Oban 18, and Yamazaki 18.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    henapple said:
    Well, the Glenfiddich 18 is around $70 per bottle... I only have it with friends when we can relax, have a cigar and solve all religious and political problems.
    hah
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited September 2013
    Was in a whiskey tasting guild about 20 years ago and learned the nuances of tasting.
    The MacCallen and Dahlwinie fit the bill.
    I did not care for Islay's, they said if you don't like a particular region now, it will be your favorite later.
    This turned out to be true. I have not drank any single malts in years, but a 12 or 18 year old islay was my favorite.
    Single malt whiskey is to be drank at room temperature only. Occasionally, two drops of pure water can be added to the 'wee dram'.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Speyside, Highland, and Islay here. Balvenie, Laphroaig, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich 12-15 everyday, 18 when I feel lucky. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Glenlivet and MacCallan are my two favorites
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Aberlour, 12 year double cask oak matured. Great highland single malt scotch. Around $60 for 750ml here in Canuckistan so should be <$50 in the USA. Serve at room temp with a splash of water. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    I love the Glens and my old favorite was Old Sheep Dip. Right now though it's some Bombay Sapphire.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Talisker. Yum.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Oban is tasty and McCallan 12 year old is my go to.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Jura
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2013

If you like a peaty Scotch, Bowmore and Sheep Dip

lagavulin  is a great all round dram

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    tried Old Pulteney. I like around 50

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

@Henapple, you will like Glenmorangie. Start with the original, then D'Oro.

Good stuff.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

If you like a peaty Scotch, Bowmore and Sheep Dip

lagavulin  is a great all round dram

The Ardberg is the most peaty I've had in a while, but I warmed up to it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Laphroig, Talisker, Lagavulin, all of which are fairly peaty. On a lighter day, Balvenor or Aveline...
  • Dang auto correct..that last one should be "Aberlour"
  • Famous Grouse; however I like Irish whiskey (Jameson) more.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Famous Grouse is the most common 'house' whiskey in Scotland. It is a blend, not a single malt.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

After a while, blended whiskeys are blah. You need to explore the "umami" of these things. Single malts offer a variety of flavor profiles that you get to like or dislike.

Blended scotch is like "McCormic BBQ rub" Very generic. Even the blue label, is good, but does not stand out.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• If you like your whisky sherried, try the 15yo Glendronach, should be lower priced than all of the sherried Macallans. If you want to try something peated but not overpowering, try the 12yo Caol Ila or a 12yo Bunnahabhan, both are from Islay but don't give you the big peat taste of a Laphroaig or Ardbeg.

There are hundreds and they are all different. If you like whiskies, join a club or go to a whisky show, as your taste buds/memories may not be similar to anyone else. I love my whisky tasting like tar (Laphroaig or Ardbeg), you may not. If I had to live with one bottle, it would be the Talisker 10yo - its got a bit of everything including heat, smoke and spice - excellent with a cigar or a piece of dark chocolate. Slainte!
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    macallans 18 is my favorite but its doubled in price over the last 2 or 3 years. way way way to much money now. if you like jamesons see if you can get paddy, like that one as much.  ive had to change over to the smokey islays because family will drink the other stuff like water and empty the cupboards of a nice collection. the smokier the better or its gone
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Macallan 18 is my fav.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • my favorite when I was drinking was Johnnie Walker Green which is a 15yr old pure malt however I'm now sober for 2years 4 months 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Congrats Charles, thats a long time, keep it up!
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • Balvenie lovers here.  Not too expensive for something flavorful but easily sippable
  • I'm enjoying Balvenie 12 right now. A friend had us over 4th of July for a scotch and cigar tasting. We each brought two scotches and a 2-3 favorite cigars to try. It was very interesting tasting 4 different scotches in a row. We tried each with and without water also.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • If you like Jameson's, please try POWERS Irish Whiskey. It is the most popular Irish Whiskey sold in Ireland, but is actually owned by them. It should not be too hard to find, even the VA ABC stores have it. It is about the same price. It is just a little sweeter. They also have a 12 year old, which is a bit smoother. Jameson's is for making Irish Coffee (not that there is anything wrong with that). IMHO. Give it a shot.

Nose

Fruity, spicy with some dry peppery tones.

Taste

Full flavoured predominantly pot still with honeyed spicy notes.

Finish

Sweet yet spicy with lingering Barley notes.

Chris
    Falls Church, VA
    Large & Mini