Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Dual Probe Wireless Remote Therm vs Egg therm gauge

Options

Cooking some chicken right now .... don't have time to research so I need some help.  My new BGE Dual Probe tells me the temp inside the egg is 376 but the Egg temperature gauge says about 400?  Which do I trust?  I set the Dual Probe towards the back where its hotter.

Thanks

Scott

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. -  John Wayne

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Dome temp vs grid temp is what you are likely seeing. The dome will always read hotter by about the difference you see. 

Another reason could be that the dome thermo needs recalibration. My money is on the former.
  • shurt
    shurt Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks ...
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    As noted above on indirect cooks the dome will read higher than the grid, on direct cooks, the grid will be hotter than the dome as it is exposed to IR of burning lump. I do not use my Mav when cooking direct. Dome is close enough, and I calibrate it every month or so if I suspect a problem. 
    @shurt - if you were cooking indirect, your temps are just about perfect. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • shurt
    shurt Posts: 13
    Options
    As noted above on indirect cooks the dome will read higher than the grid, on direct cooks, the grid will be hotter than the dome as it is exposed to IR of burning lump. I do not use my Mav when cooking direct. Dome is close enough, and I calibrate it every month or so if I suspect a problem. 
    @shurt - if you were cooking indirect, your temps are just about perfect. 

Thanks again ... the chicken cooked for a little over an hour at 370 and then I used the meat therm and it was right on target.  Probably got lucky for my first indirect cook on chicken because he came out perfect.  Again .. thanks to skiddymarker and eggcelsior.