Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ashes to ashes

Options

What does everybody do with your ashes from the EGG?

I was recently told that they can be put under trees to assist in the soil nutrients.

Anyone here do that? Anyone have a use for the ashes?

Comments

• flemster
    Options
    onto my compost pile.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    I put mine in my flower beds
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I like to scatter them off the coast of Southern California. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk61MeDmk2M&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWk61MeDmk2M
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Classic John

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    In the garden or the compost pile.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    Scatter mine in my garden.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I scatter mine on my rose bush roots.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Depends on your soil composition. Forgot whether ashes raise or lower the pH of soil (probably lower it) and whether they add phosphate. I think roses like it, but not necessarily all plants.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Wherever the leaf blower takes them ...
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Compost or just chuck off the deck into the bushes
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I sprinkle them in the garden or in the yard.
    Dunedin, FL
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Ash raises the PH of the soil and adds about 13 nutrients plants find essential. In general, it's good, in moderation. Keep it away from acid-loving plants, like blueberries, rhododendrons and azaleas. And, for God's sake, if your significant other is the gardener, get his/her permission.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I knew I had it wrong. That's why SWBO takes care of the garden.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    It's good under coniferous trees. Gets the grass to grow.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited September 2013
    Options

Actually it kills the grass. N'cest pas?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I spread it on the lawn 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Aviator said:

Actually it kills the grass. N'cest pas?

No the soil around coniferous trees is very acidic and grass tends to turn brown around them. The ash is alkaline and helps the grass.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Ash is caustic - a base...it raises the pH, good if you need to raise the pH because the soil is too acid for whatever you're growing in it.  Has some nutrients, but of limited value as a fertilizer because there's no nitrogen. 

You can do more harm than good scattering it in the soil unless you know what you're doing.
    Options

I read not to put it around conifers. I do have some Hybrid poplars that could use some help.

I planted 680 trees on the lot when I bought it 5 years ago. Most are doing well but there are some strugglers in the group.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2013
    Options
    @hondabbq and @Little_Steven are really saying the same thing I think. Evergreens tend to like more acid soil and they actually help lower the PH in the soil within their crown line (or so the local nursery tells me) that's why our Rhodos are incredible under the 80' western red cedar on my front lawn, the Rhodos and the moss are very happy with the high acid soil. 
    LS is helping the grass under his larger acidic conifers by spreading ash, while hondabbq is helping their evergreens by leaving the soil PH as acidic. Depends what you want to accomplish. 
    I spread ash in my small garden plot, rather than lime and occasionally on the moss growing along the fence shade lines, it does help. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2013
    Options
    hondabbq said:

I read not to put it around conifers. I do have some Hybrid poplars that could use some help.

I planted 680 trees on the lot when I bought it 5 years ago. Most are doing well but there are some strugglers in the group.

Interesting - I put in over 1000 hybrids in 1984, Lyn Ontario. The Ministry took them all out in 1990 and replaced them with Tamarack. Had the same experience, they either grew like weeds or they struggled. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    rake the pineneedles from under the pine trees and bank them undr the blueberries, ash goes on the lawn under the pine trees. i see people adding lime twice a month in newengland, a dusting of ash isnt going to hurt here
    :)) wonder what it would do to the lakes dieing from acid rain up here
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it