Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Without the Egg! Help

On vacation and all we got is a crappy gas grill. Lucky for me and the family I brought the cast iron skillet!
Think I'm going to cook the steaks in that. Sear on both sides and finish in the oven.
Anyone have any tips on oven temp? Or tips in general. I have never done steaks like this before.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2013
    Do it inside. Best steak you will ever have. Heavy salt/pepper crust.............Preheat that cast iron in the oven on the highest setting for 15-20 min............ Take it out and place your steak in the CI and right back in the oven for 3 min. Flip and back in the oven for 3-4 min. Rest and eat. Google alton brown pan seared ribeye and do that. I much prefer this steak over wood grilled steaks. Even egg grilled steaks.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Get some butter and red wine and reduce in the CI pan with the steak juices while they rest for a killer pan sauce.
  • And make sure you open all the windows before you start :). It's smoky.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Nice tips!
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-seared-rib-eye-recipe/index.html Do this and you will think twice about Doing high end steaks on the egg again. I don't.
  • @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Mouth is watering already! Thanks for the help. Keep y'all updated
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    And make sure you open all the windows before you start :). It's smoky.
    Cen-Tex - what's the advantage of doing them inside instead of on the gasser?  Pre Egg I'd heat the CI skillet on the grill as hot as it will get (650 or so - hotter than the oven) then follow the same technique you outlined above.  Takes care of the smoke issue with the same result.  Like to use Madeira wine for the reduction.  
    CP92 Posts: 317
    edited September 2013
    S&P, fair amount of white sugar, then some OO.  CI as hot as you can get it, 2 mins per side, put on a roasting pan (or directly on rack with something underneath to catch drippings) into a 325 oven for 25 mins for Med.  Then in a clean sauce pan, take 1 cup of port wine, reduce almost all the way, then a cup of beef broth until syrupy.  Doing it this way since 2006.  Will be giving it up in a few short weeks!
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2013
    Tjcoley said:
    And make sure you open all the windows before you start :). It's smoky.
    Cen-Tex - what's the advantage of doing them inside instead of on the gasser?  Pre Egg I'd heat the CI skillet on the grill as hot as it will get (650 or so - hotter than the oven) then follow the same technique you outlined above.  Takes care of the smoke issue with the same result.  Like to use Madeira wine for the reduction.  

You could do it on the gasser but when you open the lid, all the heat rushes out. Your oven is insulated and holds heat better. It's cleaner to do it outside on a grill but I like it this way. The actual recipe calls for searing on the stove top and then putting back in the oven. I've found it's really good with just the oven but I do the stove top from item to time as well.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I've heated the pan on the grill as it heats up, then on to the side burner to sear, then back into the hot grill.  Agree just using the grill/oven works just as well and don't need to move a hot skillet as much.  CI seared is my favorite way to do a steak, especially filet.

Looks like Green Egg steaks are done for a while. These were some huge rib eyes. Had to be 3" thick. Seared them for 5 min per side and put them in the oven 350 for 8 min.
    Made the red wine, butter sauce with the drippings it was a huge hit!
    Only 1/2 the family decided to let me cook the steaks. The rest used the gas grill and they were not happy after the taste test were done.
    Now enjoying some scotch
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'd like to ask your steak on a date and buy it a drink.
  • @Eggcelsior I don't blame you but just so you know you will be getting sloppy seconds! :)
    Steak was on point!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Just use the ci on the egg...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN