Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's Labor Day Weekend! What'cha Cookin'?

NautiRogue
NautiRogue Posts: 118
edited August 2013 in Holiday Recipes

I took today and tomorrow off to start the weekend early.  Today is dedicated to...  The Cook.  ;)

I bought a 17.25 pound packer's cut brisket last night and trimmed, rubbed (Kosher salt, sugar, ground chipotle chili), and refrigerated it overnight. This morning, I've rinsed the meat, injected with port wine, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic. Rubbed it with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub.

It's now on the pit over hickory at 225 degrees.

I expect that this will be about a 12 hour cook.  Tomorrow we leave for our marina on Lake Michigan where we'll share the meat with friends up there.  Transporting it and storing it until the planned party on Sunday isn't a problem.  I just plan to throw it into a new brining bag and keep it on ice in a cooler.  How do you guys recommend I warm it, though?  I'm thinking tin foil wrap on a grill up at the marina for another little while?  Should I slice it tonight after it's cooked, or should I keep I whole until after we re-warm it and before we eat it?

Happy Labor Day, folks!

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Don't slice until you are ready to serve. Have a great weekend!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    edited August 2013
    Going to try a buffalo chicken deep dish pizza this weekend with the following layers:   Crust, blue cheese dressing, homemade wing sauce, diced grilled chicken, cheese, more blue cheese dressing, more wing sauce, more diced chicken, a light drizzling of honey, more cheese.

@NautiRogue what marina on Lake Michigan do you hit up?
    Pentwater, MI
  • Using this weekend to practice Thanksgiving turlkey.
    Not as exciting as brisket, but will probably do something else during the weekend on a whim :)
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

+1.  However, you have to keep in mind that when reheating a big hunk of meat it will take a while.  The last cooled, cooked packer I reheated took over an hour at 275 (in foil) and honestly I should have taken more time because it was only little above room temperature when I sliced it.  I was just short on time and didn't want to get it so hot that I was really cooking it some more because I had tasted it when it came off the egg and it was perfect.....

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited August 2013
    I am doing 8 racks of either St. Louis or baby backs. ABTs, Stuffed mushrooms (use local sauage and cream cheese), 12 chicken breast and 40 Pig Shots. The above is for the 31st evening meal. In the AM I am doing 2 7.5 or so turbo butts for a freinds party. The next day will be travis method brisket.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    @six_egg - I want to play at your house this weekend!  Great ideas, classics.

I'm thinking of a brisket, but now I'm thinking a bit wider.  Like this thread
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I'm cooking whatever we catch on a 12 hour charter trip in the Gulf on Saturday, but not on the egg because my XL isn't portable.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    We are doing 3 racks of Baby Back Ribs and a Pork Butt, having the neighbors bring the sides.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    We are cooking a whole hog. We have been doing this every Labor Day since 1987. Taking my small egg to cook potatoes n onions, bbq cabbage, grilled corn than cut off cobb mixed with butter n spices. Or maybe  go to hospital, my daughter is due anytime with a grand daughter. Either one will be a great time. Hope everybody has a safe and Happy Labor Day!!!!!

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Good luck on new grand baby Jebpot. I hope mother and baby make it through ok.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146

Friday - Apple & bacon stuffed pork chops

Saturday - Beerfest

Sunday - BB ribs, quail & chukar breast

Monday - either AK Halibut or stuffed Turkey burgers

LBGE

BTFU!

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

I've attempted one brisket in the entire year I've had my Egg, so I'll be giving it another shot on Monday.  If only there was some place I could get some pointers...

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Our family is spending the weekend at a near by state park.  I have one of my larges and my small packed up and ready to go.  I'm doing a rack of pork on Saturday and a whole beef tenderloin on Sunday.  Will probably just do burgers and brats on Labor Day.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Thanks @ six_egg

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

@BOWHUNR  which park?  It's going to be crazy busy (and crazy hot) this weekend!  I imagine you'll be quite the popular campsite with several Eggs going.

It wouldn't happen to be Memphis SRA would it?  That place is close, quiet and the fishing is dynamite.  My kid and I each landed personal bests a few weeks ago.  Him-17", 2.8lbs, me 19", 4.0lbs.  If you're there, you might see us too.  I'll follow my nose to the tenderloin.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    BOWHUNR said:

Our family ly is spending the weekend at a near by state park.  I have one of my larges and my small packed up and ready to go.  I'm doing a rack of pork on Saturday and a whole beef tenderloin on Sunday.  Will probably just do burgers and brats on Labor Day.

Mike
    I'll be there
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NautiRogue
    Foghorn said:

+1.  However, you have to keep in mind that when reheating a big hunk of meat it will take a while.  The last cooled, cooked packer I reheated took over an hour at 275 (in foil) and honestly I should have taken more time because it was only little above room temperature when I sliced it.  I was just short on time and didn't want to get it so hot that I was really cooking it some more because I had tasted it when it came off the egg and it was perfect.....

Thanks for the suggestions regarding not slicing until ready to eat, guys.  And yeah, I expect that I'll have to monopolize one of the grills up at the marina for a good while to bring this thing back up to temp.

It's starting to smell really good back here on the patio!  Can't wait to finish an errand and kick back here with a beer and a cigar!

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Considering either baby backs or burgers.  Either recipe is going to come from the Serious Barbecue cookbook.  May do both.
    Southern California
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    SaltySam said:

@BOWHUNR  which park?  It's going to be crazy busy (and crazy hot) this weekend!  I imagine you'll be quite the popular campsite with several Eggs going.

It wouldn't happen to be Memphis SRA would it?  That place is close, quiet and the fishing is dynamite.  My kid and I each landed personal bests a few weeks ago.  Him-17", 2.8lbs, me 19", 4.0lbs.  If you're there, you might see us too.  I'll follow my nose to the tenderloin.

Mahoney.  We have one of the big four bedroom cabins rented.  My mom and dad have been out there since Tuesday and report the AC is working perfectly!! :D  The wife and I are headed out after work tonight and my brother and his family are coming out tomorrow after his kids get out of school.  Besides cooking and swimming, I don't see a whole lot of other outdoor activities taking place.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm in a rut. Want to try some different cooks. Duck, Cornish hens, lamb,...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    Not as exciting as brisket, but will probably do something else during the weekend on a whim :)

It will be great! Try some cherry smoke for taste & great color! We spatchcock our turkeys and that's the most popular method here.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I just got home from work, so quick cooking is in order. Brats tonight and pizza tomorrow. Sunday night I want to do a couple of butts to bring pulled pork to my fantasy football draft on Monday AM. I sucked the worst last year so first pick & food are mine!

We have a dynasty league, so rookies are top picks. I'm going with Bernard for my first pick.
    Flint, Michigan
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Starting tonight with some poke chops on the new Kub.    Tomorrow night will be burgers on the egg before HS football.   Saturday will be ribs in the afternoon in advance of the debut of my beloved LSU Tigers and then Sunday, I am going to try and loose my brisket virginity!     Love long weekends and the egg (and Kub now)!
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!

It will be great! Try some cherry smoke for taste & great color! We spatchcock our turkeys and that's the most popular method here.
    Hmm like the cherry flavour idea - wonder how that will taste with apple...
  • NautiRogue
    You won't be disappointed, Trini.  I took a BGE smoked turkey to my mother-in-law's Thanksgiving last year...  It almost killed her, but she admitted that the BGE smoked turkey was better than hers!  Just make sure you brine it and include the aromatics from the brine in the cavity when you smoke it.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I've got a 6.6lb rack of pork defrosting in the fridge (moved it last night) I'm hoping will be ready to cook by Saturday or Sunday.
  • You won't be disappointed, Trini.  I took a BGE smoked turkey to my mother-in-law's Thanksgiving last year...  It almost killed her, but she admitted that the BGE smoked turkey was better than hers!  Just make sure you brine it and include the aromatics from the brine in the cavity when you smoke it.

Wicked! I will post pics tomorrow night :)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited August 2013
    Just picked up a 15 lb brisket.  And 120 lbs of lump - $9.99 for 20 lb bags of B&B Oak at Academy.
    T-bone on the small. Just sea salt and black pepper.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Getting ready for the Big Green Egg Fantasy Football Draft while cooking a 7lb Spatchcok Chicken. Roll Tide Roll
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia