Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thank you Village Idiot

Good Guy @Village_Idiot sent me some of his vanilla. Great stuff.

I added a couple shakes to some heavy cream that I whipped for some peach crisp. I egged the "crisp" part last night for some left over peaches I roasted on Sunday. I had leftover crisp so I sliced some fresh peaches up from the local orchard.

The cream had this ethereal sweetness from the vanilla that paired well with the peaches, pecans, and oats in the crisp. Delicious.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited August 2013
    When VI gets his meds just right and stops drinking long enough he is almost a real nice guy. What am I saying? :x
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Mmmm, that looks good!  It's height of the peach season here in utard, I'm eating several a day.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

I have a bottle of VI's vanilla....excellent added to a bourbon and coke.  Learned that trick from Travis.

That's my next stop on this train. Lots of testing this weekend.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I've been meaning to try this, just keep forgetting to buy vanilla. Can you give some more info? Just wondering how many beans I'd use for how much vodka.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited August 2013
    yzzi said:
    I've been meaning to try this, just keep forgetting to buy vanilla. Can you give some more info? Just wondering how many beans I'd use for how much vodka.
    Sure, Yzzi.  I use more beans than the recipes I've seen.  I put about 20 beans in a 750ml bottle.  I also split the beans with an Xacto knife before putting them in.

I bought my beans at Olive Nation.  They come shrink wrapped.  Don't confuse the name "Bourbon Madagascar".  That is the name of the bean, not what you use for making the extract.  I have used bourbon instead of vodka, however, and it makes a great extract for cookies, etc. where you'd like a slight bourbon taste.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Thank you village idiot... 4 words you'll rarely hear together. [-X w
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    I may have to try my hand at this. 2 ingredients...i think I can handle it :)
    Southern Indiana
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    I suspect the part that will trip some people up is that "don't drink the vodka" step.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Good thread!

I put some vanilla beans in some vodka about 3 years ago. Never opened for not really knowing what to do with it.

Just made a Jameson (no bourbon on hand) coke and vanilla.

Very good.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    henapple said:

I do remember The 93 year young one legged Salado hooker calling those words to VI last year at the after party.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Mickey said:
    henapple said:

I do remember The 93 year young one legged Salado hooker calling those words to VI last year at the after party.
    I had just given her a $100 bill so she wouldn't tell Linda.  What are friends for, anyway?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Letz4wheel
    Foghorn said:
    I suspect the part that will trip some people up is that "don't drink the vodka" step.

Ummm, I missed that part :)
    Southern Indiana
  • Once you have tried VI's vanilla you will hate going back to store bought when bottle is emptied.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Under VI's tutelage, I made a bottle out of jack Daniels. It's been soaking for about a year. It's very good but maintains its bourbon flavor.

VI gave me a bottle made from vodka. It's even better and has nothing but a strong delicious vinilla taste.

The problem with VI making you stuff is that it always seems like a waste to use it on my inferior cooking.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I have been lusting after the vanilla and I am so glad that the recipe was posted. I thought I would give it a go last year and there were just too many choices of vanilla and couldn't decide. Now that VI posted Olive Nation as a good source I'm almost ready to do it too. Just a few more questions. Are the bottles just corked or is there a seal? What would you use if Texas vodka isn't available? I found Florida cane vodka which sounds interesting. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Hey VI - I checked out the link to Olive Nation and I'm impressed!  I'm looking to make some vodka vanilla and bourbon vanilla and have some beans left over.  What quantity do you suggest?  They sell it by the 1/4, 1/2 or full pound.  How many beans are in these quantities?

Thanks for the help!

Flint, Michigan
  • Letz4wheel
    50-60 beans per half pound is what I am reading on another site. I have some sitting at home from olivenation but haven't been there to see how many are actually in the package. I bought mine for ice cream but now some vanilla sounds good also :)
    Southern Indiana
  • Village Idiot
    @GrannyX4 .  I sealed some with wax that I was going to ship, but when I shipped @Eggcelsiors , I couldn't find the wax, so I pushed the cork in way tight for the trip and it made it.  For home, just cork it (or screw top).

@Fred19Flintstone I think I got 1/4 pound for a 750ml bottle.  I've made several purchases, so I forget.

@travisstrick I can only hope to cook your "inferior" cooks some day.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You and Travis get a room...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GrannyX4
    @VI If Texas vodka isn't available here what vodka would you recommend?
  • Village Idiot
    @GrannyX4 Granny, I just stipulated Texas vodka because that's what Texans do - brag about anything Texan.  Any vodka will do.  I wouldn't go crazy with high priced vodka - just a medium priced one.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• GrannyX4
    Thanks, for the info. Loveeeeeeee good vanilla. ;;)
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I make mine right in the little (200 - 250 ml) bottles of Absolut or Jack.  
    How many pods do you put in the small bottle?
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551

GrannyX4 said:
    How many pods do you put in the small bottle?
    I use five - more than necessary but gives it a great vanilla flavor.  Cut them into about four pieces.  Allows you to refill the bottle a couple times when it's half way gone without adding more vanilla.  Like a sourdough starter, as long as you replenish it, it will last forever.  Just make sure the pods are completely submerged.