Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My weekly Spatchcock with pics

Options
JRWhitee
JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
I do a spatchcock chicken every week because that is what SWMBO and my son love. I also make minor changes to see what happens, this week I brined overnight as usual with salt, sugar and garlic and left in the fridge to air dry all day, JH Texas Chicken Tickler, pecan and Cherry for smoke 400 direct but this time I raised it up as far as I could in the dome. This one turned out the most crispy skin yet which is what SWMBO always requests, white meat was very juicy. I also grilled some asparagus, tomatoes, peppers, squash and onions for the last 15 min. Thanks for looking.

Johns Creek, Georgia

Comments

• tybeelucy2
    Options
    Looks delish
    LBGE- Atlanta, LBGE and SBGE- Ellijay, GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Looks just like mine, great minds think alike, eh? 

Two things I noticed in your post, brining and air dry in the fridge. Make all the difference. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JRWhitee
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Looks just like mine, great minds think alike, eh? 

Two things I noticed in your post, brining and air dry in the fridge. Make all the difference. 
    Yes they do, higher up in the dome helped the skin get crispy. The brine makes a huge difference in the white meat, it is plump and very juicy. SWMBO eats dark meat and loves the skin, I love the white meat. We were made for each other....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    Looks awesome, how do you clean your vegetable basket, mine is a huge pain in the arse!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited August 2013
    Options
    So correct. I will (when I can remember) put the ext on the adj rig and get it way up. So much better. Very nice cook. Now this looks to be a turkey, but up this high. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JRWhitee
    Options
    Nice looking bird @Mickey.
    @aquacop the pan doesn't get that bad, maybe because the veggies are marinated in italian dressing before grilling. I just soak it in hot soapy water for a while. It is a teflon pan with a handle that folds in.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Nice looking cook.  I have made spatchcock chickens a few times now.  Once at regular height 375.  Then got my woo2 and did with raised grid at about 400. Both times I cooked for 1 hour and checked temp afterwards.  Do you guys do them for an hour or do you start checking temp at a particular time point or keep a probe in a bird?

Just wondering how everyone does these...
    Long Island, NY
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    After overcooking one I use a probe in the breast, I like the white meat and 5 degrees makes a difference. The dark is usually done at the same time as the white. One thing I do is face the legs toward the back as the egg is hotter at the rear.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • radamo
    Options
    I have to do three this Sunday for a get together.   I will need to select which bird to probe, that didn't sound right. All my guests have never had a spatchcock bird so I am excited to share the love.  
    Long Island, NY
  • JRWhitee
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I would probe the smallest one or the one near the rear as it will cook faster.  

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • radamo
    Options
    Good advice... will try to position the largest bird's feet to the rear and go from there.

Long Island, NY
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    If you have a thermapen start checking temps after 50 minutes.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • radamo
    Options
    I do... and will thanks for the suggestions.  Only a few months in eggin and still getting used to it.  Been gassing for many years now.  
    Long Island, NY