Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maybe a Silly Question, but...

I recently had back surgery and I'm on a strict 5 lbs limit for three more weeks. This means I pretty much can't pick up anything, including my guitar.

So my question is, since the BGE lid is on hinges, I'm technically not picking anything up. Do you think it takes 5 lbs of force to lift my large lid?

I may can have my wife take out the plate setter and fill the charcoal (I'm learning to be humble and not doing so hot at it), but do you think the cast iron top and rain cap are more than 5 lbs as well?

Thanks for your responses. I'm bored out of my skull and would love to just cook anything.

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited August 2013
    What size egg?
    I'd wait, no 8 lbs buts or 13 lbs briskests either.

The lid of a large or xl would be pushing it id think.

I really wanted to throw some off color humor at you, but just went with serious answer ;)

XLBGE 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    edited August 2013
    Sorry about your surgery but this is an open invitation to have some fun...No doc here but if it takes 5#'s of torque to lift the dome then my answer would be "surely it's 4 or less".  WRT the remainder-if SWMBO buys in then supervise because as soon as you get the "green light" then "paybacks are hell".  Push the envelope!  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I do think it's over 5 lbs in both directions.  I'm sure you would be okay but I'm not a doctor. I'd say if you had to have surgery do you want chance it again.  Let the Mrs. tend the fire for a few more weeks
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    What type of back surgery? (cervical or lumbar, etc.) based on positioning you can lift stuff with just your arms as opposed to your core. Weight restrictions generally involve lifting from the ground or chest level and above, when you must engage your back.

You could do a motion similar to a bicep curl without issue.

However, if it is cervical surgery, I wouldn't screw around. Not much space for stuff to move around in your neck without things getting numb and tingly.

If you can lift, make sure your wife shoots video and post it. We would enjoy that, very much.
  • cajunduck
    cajunduck Posts: 203
    Been there and done that. I've had 2 back surgeries with the last I was fused from S1 to L3 with titanium rods, and a bone cage. Do not overdue it! Ask for help with the Egg.
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • I can tell you that the XL requires 21 pounds of force to lift the lid.  I'd suspect the large is quite a bit more than 5 pounds.  I'd go measure but I have the old auto lock hinge, not the spring assisted hinge.
    The Naked Whiz
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    My medium takes more than 5 pounds of force to lift.  Large is significantly more.

You can use a lever to get that down to 5 pounds.  Clamp a stick on the handle with a c-clamp or some vice grips.  If you have a fish scale, you can measure the force.
    I had a L5 S1 Laminectomy. The doctor was pretty firm on that 5 lbs limit, but I was really considering the bicep curl if the large lid was close to it. I think I better play it safe rather than screw something up again.

Thanks again for the responses. Watching Food Network shows for a week while my BGE has been covered up has been brutal. I feel better knowing for sure not to mess with it until I'm cleared to do so.

After that, get ready for lots of cook pics from me. My egg will be working hard this football season!

• Smart move. Mess up your back just for a pork chop wouldn't be too wise

XLBGE 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Have a surrogate do your heavy lifting on the egg. Pay him with dinner. Don't risk it.
    Dunedin, FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
    Stick to 12 oz curls for awhile longer. It's tough but somebody's got to do it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Get well soon, look after yourself - don't push it. 
    I have a 5Kg (11#) scale. Holding the base of the scale while pushing up with the weigh table under the handle on my Medium, without the DFMT in place, the scale maxed out before the dome even moved. 
    A LBGE is definitely more than 5#. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!