Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First brisket up and running

Options
Cooking first brisket of my life tonight! 14.41 lb packer trimmed the fat rubbed with salt and pepper running @ 265 temp. Got it going now hoping for the best.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Hope you have a Maverick or some kind of remote thermometer so you can get some good sleep tonight. Hope all goes well!!! Can't wait to see finished pics

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Good luck and keep us posted.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dstrbd488
    Options
    Well she's churning along so we shall see how it goes. The wife's not real enthusiastic about this but she's not one to try new things but she'll get over it or be hungry but she's somewhat correct because there's a 14 pound brisket cooking for 2 adults a 3 and 4 year old to eat. I told her that I had never cooked one of these and if it went bad I wanted to a big pile of bad
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Hell yes! I'll drink to that. Good luck! Take pictures before you eat....We need food pr0n.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Don't fear the stall and don't pull too early. You want a probe to move in and out like butter in the thickest part of the flat.
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options

Don't fear the stall and don't pull too early. You want a probe to move in and out like butter in the thickest part of the flat.

I agree. The biggest mistake for most first time big meats cook, is panicing during tb e stall. Resist the urge to do ok ng anything. (Breathing is ok) Just wait it out.
    Good luck and don't forget the pictures.
  • dstrbd488
    Options
    Well briskest done, sliced and served. Took the point of to make burnt ends as I understand them cubing them and adding rub and sauce then back on the egg for a couple of hours. Flat was sliced but I found it to be a little dry. Had a good tenderness but maybe I should have injected. See the attached photos
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    dstrbd488 said:
    Well briskest done, sliced and served. Took the point of to make burnt ends as I understand them cubing them and adding rub and sauce then back on the egg for a couple of hours. Flat was sliced but I found it to be a little dry. Had a good tenderness but maybe I should have injected. See the attached photos

Looks pretty good for your first attempt! How long was it on the egg? Looks like you wrapped at some point too?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Agreed, certainly not a bad start. Congrats. What was temp in flat when pulled?
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • dstrbd488
    dstrbd488 Posts: 66
    edited August 2013
    Options
    On the for about 13 or 14 hours. It was not wrapped until I pulled off for the FTC stage of events. The flat was about 195 when it was pulled but it probed tender. I am wondering if it needed to stay a little longer I know that a butt will be dry if not undercooked so I'm wondering about that
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    Looks great for the first on see. Wish my first several looked that good. I know there a lot of thoughts on this, I wrap in butcher paper when I seperate the point and flat. Thats at about 175, then the flat goes back in until it reaches 200º. The paper lets the steam out keeps the moisture in and does' t wash off the bark. Just my 2 cents worth. Again your brisket looks great .