Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy wheel modification...savin' money

Options
I was gonna spend $40 something on one of those stainless chimney caps to set and forget...then I got to thinking. When I do that...sometimes good things happen.

Used all stainless fasteners....works perfectly set and forget. Cost $2.07 at Home Depot.

Bolt sizes are M6-1.0 X 20mm (Daisy wheel center) and M6-1.0X24 or 26mm swivel side. Star washers are a key element under the originally supplied ones and some type of lockwasher underside to keep the screw from turning against the wing nut.

Happy Sunday everyone.

When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)

Comments

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand what you did here. The reason myself, and I think others, bought the cap was to keep out the rain/snow wen cooking in bad weather. What am I missing?
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    I live in So-Cal....bad weather here is 60 degrees, with light, wispy clouds! LOL

What I did was made the daisy wheel adjustments easily unchangeable, so when I open my egg they dont need re-adjusting for the lid swinging away.  

To quote one company which sells those stainless caps "will maintain it's setting (vent opening) when opening and closing (will not swivel open like the cast iron cap"....)
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Sorry, but the point is to just learn to set your daisy so the bolt head on the edge and the bolt head in the middle line up perpendicular to your handle regardless of your opening. That way no matter how often you open the dome, nor how narrow or how wide the setting it will never change, nor will your daisy fall off, and no locking washers nor wing nuts are needed.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    That only works through the first or second six-pack...then things get a little careless.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Gogogordy said:
    That only works through the first or second six-pack...then things get a little careless.
    Ooh, I've been there!   :D

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    RRP said:
    Sorry, but the point is to just learn to set your daisy so the bolt head on the edge and the bolt head in the middle line up perpendicular to your handle regardless of your opening. That way no matter how often you open the dome, nor how narrow or how wide the setting it will never change, nor will your daisy fall off, and no locking washers nor wing nuts are needed.
    But then the BGE name is sideways. Where are your priorities?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    I gotta say that is pretty genius. No matter how I place the daisy it always swivels shut somehow. Good going man.
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    rholt said:
    I gotta say that is pretty genius. No matter how I place the daisy it always swivels shut somehow. Good going man.

Rholt--there is a trick to solving your problem without having to modify the stock daisy wheel.  Sorry I don't have a photo, but someone can link one.  I had the same problem and then someone on the forum explained it to me.   All you have to do is:

1.  Turn the daisy wheel so the top swivel tap screw is toward the the front of the egg.

2.  Set the vents however you want them to be.

3.  Then, all you have to do, is rotate the bottom of the entire daisy assembly until the two top screws line up on a line parallel to a line through the center of the egg, running from front to rear of egg.

4.  Once you line up the screws like this, then the daisy wheel will stay set whenever you open the lid.  If you change the settings, then you just rotate the base again to keep the screws lined up.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I like it- nice mod! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options

For those who choose not to mod-here's a link with pics that describes how to adjust the DFMT to maintain your settings.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#dwsetting The main site has a wealth of good info as well.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gogogordy
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Screw the geometry lesson, were talkin BBQ here! A quick turn of a wingnut works JUST fine and as far as modifying the cap....its 100% reversible back to stock. There's no drilling or cutting involved just replace a couple bits with a couple of different bits. Of course some people wont be happy without spending the extra on a stainless steel cap, and thats cool. Im not one of them since this does the same thing. Naysayers always gonna say nay (unless its one of their tricks of course)
  • CajunEggHead
    Options
    RRP said:

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    I dont recall reading that "point" in the official BGE ownership rulebook. I must've been too busy improving my daisywheel..... MY point is to enjoy BBQ'ing with my BGE, and achieve the best most consistent results I can. This helps me do that. Is there a downside to this Im missing? ;^)
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    No there isn't.  I thought the only rule was there are no rules.  If it works for you, that's great.  If it helps somebody else, even better.  Thanks for sharing.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Just goes to show you the ingeniuty of the people on this board and that there is more than one way to skin a cat...although why anybody would ever want to skin a cat is beyond me. I probably won't do this mod, but I appreciate the clear, concise write-up with good pictures, details and even a price. I'm sure some will use it and it will help them. Thanks @Gogogordy for sharing it with the rest of us and keep up the good work. Good things happen when we get to thinking.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• MOvikingsfan
    Options
    Gogogordy said:
    stainless steel cap, and thats cool. Im not one of them since this does the same thing. Naysayers always gonna say nay (unless its one of their tricks of course)
    Love the idea, and this will work great to maintain daisey wheel settings, but how will this help to keep the rain out? Isn't that the point of the stainless cap?
  • Griffin
    Options
    Since when has rain become that big a problem? I grill out in the rain all the time and it affects me more than it does the Egg? Never cools mine down nor is much, if any, getting in. But then again, I live in Texas and we all know it never rains down here. 8-|

Rowlett, Texas

• SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Looks like you found a good and simple solution to something that has been bugging you about the egg.  Thats the beauty of Eggin, we take time out of our day to contemplate things and in the process we sometimes come up with a great idea.  Thanks for sharing.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Gogogordy... Great idea and job. I like it. Not sure why people feel the need to dismiss other's ideas.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Just goes to show you the ingeniuty of the people on this board and that there is more than one way to skin a cat...although why anybody would ever want to skin a cat is beyond me.
    @Griffin
    What rub did you use for the Cat? Low & Slow or Turbo?? Did you use a skewer or just tied it to the grid?

=))
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Griffin
    Options
    @FlyingTivo - still trying to come up with a rub. Since most cats are so lean (excluding hosue cats), they don't really benefit from a low and slow. I go raised grate 400 ala @Mickey style. Used to use a rotisserie on my old grill. Wrap it in bacon for extra flavor and protect it from drying out. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• henapple
    Options
    After shooting one with the AR 10 308 there's not much left to cook... Especially the kittens.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited August 2013
    Options

Interesting. How hot does that wing nut get when you want to do a 450-500 cook? I see what you are trying to do but I'll just stick with the method I have been using since I started egging provided on the Naked Whiz site. A whole lot simpler. When it's raining and I want to do an overnighter? I do this.

Nice documentation though.

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I personally don't have a problem keeping the DFMT constant. I put the screw forward as suggested and I also have a little cooking/grease buildup which makes it sticky. As for rain cap, I just cut holes in the side of a metal folgers can. It slips over the top of my DFMT. Works great and is free. Nothing wrong with different strokes for different folks.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Hungry Joe
    edited August 2013
    Options

Actually since that photo was taken I use this as a rain cap for my second egg. It comes with a HD TV, fridge, an electric stove and a Bose sound dock.

FWIW it was a little pricier then most other options.

• henapple
    Options

Good lord the guy just shared an idea that might help some other eggers. Why all the negativity? If you don't care for his idea or aren't interested how bout just not posting?

My sentiments exactly..
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    Sorry if any of my comments were construed as negative, I was just passing on what someone else taught me regarding how to position/turn the stock daisy wheel in such a manner that it does not change its setting when you open the lid.  It works like a charm and I was appreciative when it was explained to me so just passing on info.  If someone wants to go this new alternative wingnut route, then certainly free to do so. 
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    Sorry if any of my comments were construed as negative, I was just passing on what someone else taught me regarding how to position/turn the stock daisy wheel in such a manner that it does not change its setting when you open the lid.  It works like a charm and I was appreciative when it was explained to me so just passing on info.  If someone wants to go this new alternative wingnut route, then certainly free to do so. 
    I really don't see what you or anyone else here did wrong.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Good food for thought. Have had some trouble with the big opening of my wheel due to a minor defect that I haven't filed down yet - I get by with some built up grease and positioning. I only use the daisy for cooks less than 300 and go naked on top most of the time.
    Milton, GA.